PDA

View Full Version : upgrade to 3200 CPU or dive into the sempon CPU?

Anthony
August 23rd 04, 08:13 PM
Which should I do? I got an nforce 2 motherboard running an AMD 2600 and I
am thinking about ugrading in the next 6 months so should I go for the 3200
400FSB or the new sempon on a new mothearboard? my memory is 1 gig of DDR
3200. Thanks for the help

Anthony

General Schvantzkoph
August 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:13:03 -0500, Anthony wrote:

> Which should I do? I got an nforce 2 motherboard running an AMD 2600 and I
> am thinking about ugrading in the next 6 months so should I go for the 3200
> 400FSB or the new sempon on a new mothearboard? my memory is 1 gig of DDR
> 3200. Thanks for the help
>
> Anthony

Going from a 2600 to 3200 isn't going to be a life changing upgrade, it
will be slightly noticable but not a huge win. On the other had it isn't
all that expensive so you might as well do it if it makes you happy. When
you do a real upgrade forget about the Sempron and get a proper
Athlon64-939. In 6 months the pricing might be reasonable.

Wes Newell
August 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:13:03 -0500, Anthony wrote:

> Which should I do? I got an nforce 2 motherboard running an AMD 2600 and I
> am thinking about ugrading in the next 6 months so should I go for the 3200
> 400FSB or the new sempon on a new mothearboard? my memory is 1 gig of DDR
> 3200. Thanks for the help

Forget Sempron. Your 2600+ is faster than the 2800+ Sempron. The
Semprons or not model numbered using the same benchmarks. Basically, the
Sempron is a Tbred B core with a new name, clocked slower, using a
different set of benchmarks and numbering it higher. If you want to
compare speeds between the Semprons, just subtract 400 from the model
number and you will then have the same as the XP. The same goes for socket
754 Semprons.

The only thing you would gain going from a 2600+ to a 3200+ would be 256K
more of L2 cache. And that's not much in terms of performance. Save your
money or go A64.