PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe ?

Joe Saxon
August 22nd 04, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking of buying this board and a 3200+ and would like to know what
some of the experiences with this board are ,and if you have it, what brands
of memory do you recommend? Also, can you use dual channel ram on a non dual
channel board? This would be my first non-Intel CPU and I'm a bit nervous!

Thanks,

Joe

Jason
August 23rd 04, 04:42 AM
Joe Saxon wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying this board and a 3200+ and would like to know what
> some of the experiences with this board are ,and if you have it, what brands
> of memory do you recommend? Also, can you use dual channel ram on a non dual
> channel board? This would be my first non-Intel CPU and I'm a bit nervous!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

So far it's been a good board for me. When I first got it, the PC would
boot with "CPU Fan Errors", but that was fixed with a newer BIOS. You
could save a few bucks and get a 3000+, because it overclocks very well.

I've always used Intel to, but I probably won't be going back.
Generally, AMD processors have better price/performance ratios.

MC
August 23rd 04, 01:24 PM
Joe Saxon wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying this board and a 3200+ and would like to know what
> some of the experiences with this board are ,and if you have it, what brands
> of memory do you recommend? Also, can you use dual channel ram on a non dual
> channel board? This would be my first non-Intel CPU and I'm a bit nervous!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

I have had one for 3 weeks now. Only issue was reliable cold booting
from the only drive in the system, a 250 GB Maxtor SATA. Although the
newest released BIOS, 1004, has a note to patch the nvidia SATA
detection, it was still not reliable for me (again, from an overnight
off - cold boot condition) on the nvidia SATA channels as I tried both
of them. I went ahead and installed a PATA (where I now house the OS
and use the SATA for data) drive also and it boots each and every time.
Also using other reply processor, 3000+ 512KL2.

Only single channel for the 754 pin CPU. Memory controller is part of
CPU though.

I, too, was hesitant about moving away from Intel and Pentium 4 line,
but I am so glad I did. Never had a regret in 6 systems I have made for
myself using AMD processors.