PDA

View Full Version : Strange error

Leo Calia
August 16th 04, 08:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm getting al kind of errors in windows!
Like could'nt "read" or "write" memory.
I get it running random applications and games

Ok here's my hardware setup

Amd 64 3400+ 1Mb Cache
MSI Neofis2r
2 x 512 Twinmos PC3200
MSI Radeo 9700 Pro 128
20 Gig and 120 Gig with 2 Mb cache
Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 1

Anyone heard or had / has this problem , please help me!

Regards

Leo Calia
The Netherlands

The Chief
August 16th 04, 09:04 PM
Leo Calia wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting al kind of errors in windows!
> Like could'nt "read" or "write" memory.
> I get it running random applications and games
>
> Ok here's my hardware setup
>
> Amd 64 3400+ 1Mb Cache
> MSI Neofis2r
> 2 x 512 Twinmos PC3200
> MSI Radeo 9700 Pro 128
> 20 Gig and 120 Gig with 2 Mb cache
> Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 1
>
> Anyone heard or had / has this problem , please help me!
>
> Regards
>
> Leo Calia
> The Netherlands

The most likely suspect is your memory. MSI has a list of compatible
memory modules available on their site. The 256MB TwinMos are listed as
compatible, but the 512MB TwinMos are not listed.

Nick Roberts
August 17th 04, 03:01 PM
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:04:07 -0400, The Chief > wrote:

> The most likely suspect is your memory. MSI has a list of
> compatible memory modules available on their site. The 256MB
> TwinMos are listed as compatible, but the 512MB TwinMos are not
> listed.

BTW, MSI have a strange WWW address:

http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm

HTH TMT*

--
Nick Roberts

*TMT = Too Many TLAs**

**TLA = Three Letter Acronym :-)

Leo Calia
August 17th 04, 05:23 PM
As far as I heard, when having incompatible memory modules you would get
errors at boot up. these errors i get in my os.

an example

Doom 3:doom3.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00477925" referenced memory at "0x00000008".The
memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

When clicking on OK I get some more errors and then I return to my desktop.
When clicking on CANCEL Visual C++ starts running an giving an acces
violation.

On the next "crash" i'm taking some screenshots and i'l post some links.

Thanks anyway

Leo Calia
The Netherlands

Vince Coen
August 17th 04, 06:15 PM
Hello Nick!

17 Aug 04 14:01, Nick Roberts wrote to All:

>> The most likely suspect is your memory. MSI has a list of
>> compatible memory modules available on their site. The 256MB
>> TwinMos are listed as compatible, but the 512MB TwinMos are not
>> listed.

NR> BTW, MSI have a strange WWW address:

NR> http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm

Whats strange about it (bearing in mind that .tw is a location in asia)?

Vince

The Chief
August 17th 04, 06:27 PM
There are no specific problems related to incompatible memory. I have
seen computers that randomly reboot, unexplained program errors, random
lockup, sudden shutdown; for just a few I have seen with the AMD64. And
I do have extensive experience with computers. I have been building,
repairing, and setting up personal computers for over 20 years.

Leo Calia wrote:
> As far as I heard, when having incompatible memory modules you would get
> errors at boot up. these errors i get in my os.
>
> an example
>
> Doom 3:doom3.exe - Application Error
>
> The instruction at "0x00477925" referenced memory at "0x00000008".The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> Click on OK to terminate the program
> Click on CANCEL to debug the program
>
> ..
>
> When clicking on OK I get some more errors and then I return to my desktop.
> When clicking on CANCEL Visual C++ starts running an giving an acces
> violation.
>
> On the next "crash" i'm taking some screenshots and i'l post some links.
>
> Thanks anyway
>
> Leo Calia
> The Netherlands

Nick Roberts
August 17th 04, 08:43 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:15:49, Vince Coen >
wrote:

> NR> BTW, MSI have a strange WWW address:
>
> NR> http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm
>
> Whats strange about it (bearing in mind that .tw is a location in
> asia)?

You're right, it's not really so strange.

--
Nick Roberts

The Chief
August 17th 04, 08:54 PM
Nick Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:15:49, Vince Coen >
> wrote:
>
>> NR> BTW, MSI have a strange WWW address:
>>
>> NR> http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm
>>
>> Whats strange about it (bearing in mind that .tw is a location in
>> asia)?
>

> You're right, it's not really so strange.

And to be more specific, .tw is for Taiwan, which is an island about 200
km off the southeast coast of mainland China.