PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro: 90% of applications go into 'not responding' state

Jason
August 11th 04, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
to start troubleshooting.

Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.

My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
1 (mirrored pair).

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Mark BR
August 11th 04, 10:19 AM
"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> to start troubleshooting.
>
> Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
>
> My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> 1 (mirrored pair).
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jason

Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
CD in the drive.

Mark BR

rstlne
August 11th 04, 12:38 PM
"Mark BR" > wrote in message

> "Jason" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> > 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> > the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> > applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> > minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> > to start troubleshooting.
> >
> > Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> > blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
> >
> > My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> > 1 (mirrored pair).
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Jason
>
> Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a
bad
> CD in the drive.
>
> Mark BR

I have the same problem with Adobe Reader (verry common for me)..
I am using an AXP and dont have the amd64 but to be honest, I think that the
problem "with the program" could easly happen on any system (or maybee just
AXP based ones)..
List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Jason
August 11th 04, 03:51 PM
Applications that go into this state from memory...

Internet Explorer
Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)

but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
goes into this state.

If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
traffic.

I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

"Mark BR" > wrote in message >...
> "Jason" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> > 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> > the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> > applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> > minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> > to start troubleshooting.
> >
> > Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> > blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
> >
> > My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> > 1 (mirrored pair).
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Jason
>
> Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
> CD in the drive.
>
> Mark BR

Ugly Mugly
August 11th 04, 04:07 PM
"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> Applications that go into this state from memory...
>
> Internet Explorer
> Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
> Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
> Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)
>

> but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
> at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
> goes into this state.
>
> If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
> hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
> traffic.
>
> I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
> this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

Jason, have you tried a blaster removal tool?
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

JasonB
August 11th 04, 04:15 PM
Jason wrote:
> Applications that go into this state from memory...

<Snip>

> "Mark BR" > wrote in message >...
>
>>"Jason" > wrote in message
om...

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
>>>90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
>>>the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
>>>applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
>>>minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
>>>to start troubleshooting.
>>>
>>>Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
>>>blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
>>>
>>>My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
>>>1 (mirrored pair).
>>>
>>>Please help!!!
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Jason
>>
>>Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
>>CD in the drive.
>>
>>Mark BR

Have you tried running a spyware detector application like WebSweeper or
something like Ad-Aware? You *might* be infected with a trojan or
spyware application that kicks in every so often taking CPU time away
from other legitimate applications.

Free Spyware checker - must be online for this to run
http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

Link to Lavasoft's Ad-Aware personal edition - free for personal use

Hope this helps!
--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

Jamco
August 11th 04, 09:06 PM
have you tried disconnecting your internet connection?

"JasonB" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Jason wrote:
>> Applications that go into this state from memory...
>>

> <Snip>
>

>> "Mark BR" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"Jason" > wrote in message
om...

>>>Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a
>>>bad
>>>CD in the drive.
>>>
>>>Mark BR
>
> Have you tried running a spyware detector application like WebSweeper or
> something like Ad-Aware? You *might* be infected with a trojan or spyware
> application that kicks in every so often taking CPU time away from other
> legitimate applications.
>
> Free Spyware checker - must be online for this to run
> http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm
>
> Link to Lavasoft's Ad-Aware personal edition - free for personal use
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> Hope this helps!
> --
> JasonB
>
> To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

Jason
August 11th 04, 09:29 PM
Well after some experimenting I think it is Yahoo Messenger that is
causing the issue. Anyone seen similar?

"rstlne" > wrote in message >...
> "Mark BR" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jason" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> > > 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> > > the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> > > applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> > > minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> > > to start troubleshooting.
> > >
> > > Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> > > blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
> > >
> > > My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> > > 1 (mirrored pair).
> > >
> > > Please help!!!
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> > Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a
> bad
> > CD in the drive.
> >
> > Mark BR
> >

> I have the same problem with Adobe Reader (verry common for me)..
> I am using an AXP and dont have the amd64 but to be honest, I think that the
> problem "with the program" could easly happen on any system (or maybee just
> AXP based ones)..
> List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
> have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Jason
August 11th 04, 10:57 PM
No it isn't Yahoo Messenger, that must have been a coincedence. It
just happened on Messenger wasn't running. Still wondering what is
causing this!

"rstlne" > wrote in message >...
> "Mark BR" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jason" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> > > 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> > > the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> > > applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> > > minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> > > to start troubleshooting.
> > >
> > > Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> > > blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
> > >
> > > My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> > > 1 (mirrored pair).
> > >
> > > Please help!!!
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> > Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a
> bad
> > CD in the drive.
> >
> > Mark BR
> >

> I have the same problem with Adobe Reader (verry common for me)..
> I am using an AXP and dont have the amd64 but to be honest, I think that the
> problem "with the program" could easly happen on any system (or maybee just
> AXP based ones)..
> List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
> have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Adam
August 11th 04, 10:59 PM
(Jason) wrote in message >...
> Applications that go into this state from memory...
>
> Internet Explorer
> Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
> Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
> Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)
>

> but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
> at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
> goes into this state.
>
> If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
> hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
> traffic.
>
> I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
> this state then the it will hang (after it starts).
>

> "Mark BR" > wrote in message >...
> > "Jason" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
> > > 90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
> > > the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
> > > applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
> > > minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
> > > to start troubleshooting.
> > >
> > > Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
> > > blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.
> > >
> > > My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
> > > 1 (mirrored pair).
> > >
> > > Please help!!!
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> > Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
> > CD in the drive.
> >
> > Mark BR

Probably anti-virus hogging all resources. This has happened to me a
lot. Check your processes when this happens and see if your
anti-virus is taking over much of the memory.

Jason Cothran
August 11th 04, 11:47 PM
"Adam" > wrote in message
om...
| (Jason) wrote in message
| > Applications that go into this state from memory...
| >
| > Internet Explorer
| > Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
| > Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
| > Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)
| >

| > but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
| > at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
| > goes into this state.
| >
| > If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
| > hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
| > traffic.
| >
| > I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
| > this state then the it will hang (after it starts).
| >

| > "Mark BR" > wrote in message
| > > "Jason" > wrote in message
| > > om...

RAID

| > > Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have
a bad
| > > CD in the drive.
| > >
| > > Mark BR
|

| Probably anti-virus hogging all resources. This has happened to me a
| lot. Check your processes when this happens and see if your
| anti-virus is taking over much of the memory.

He already said "| > If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are
at zero or
| > hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
| > traffic."

Jason
August 21st 04, 02:16 PM
Hope I am not tempting fate by writing this but after upgrading to SP2
the issue has disappeared. No more 'not responding'
messages...Yippeee!!!!