PDA

View Full Version : Power supply Recommendation

Wad
August 2nd 04, 07:45 AM
Hi Yall,

Here is the system I am assembling:

Athlon 64 3000
Abit KV8 Pro
Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
Gigabyte 9600XT
LG FLATRON L1720P
Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

Wad

Wes Newell
August 2nd 04, 08:50 AM
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:45:08 +0900, Wad wrote:

> Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
worked stable.

Derek Baker
August 2nd 04, 06:07 PM
Wad wrote:
> Hi Yall,
>
> Here is the system I am assembling:
>

> Athlon 64 3000
> Abit KV8 Pro
> Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
> WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
> Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
> Gigabyte 9600XT
> LG FLATRON L1720P
> Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue
>

> Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
>

> Wad

Maybe not, but you can never have too much power. Is there that much of a
price difference between the 430 and 480?

--
Derek

Andreas Kaiser
August 2nd 04, 07:42 PM
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:50:25 GMT, Wes Newell
> wrote:

>> Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
>
>My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
>system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
>worked stable.

There's more that simple Watt numbers. I'm using a very solid
Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power supply.

Gruss, Andreas

Wes Newell
August 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:42:18 +0200, Andreas Kaiser wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:50:25 GMT, Wes Newell
> > wrote:
>
>>> Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
>>
>>My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
>>system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
>>worked stable.
>
> There's more that simple Watt numbers.

Not really, except on which rails the wattage is provided.

> I'm using a very solid Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power
> supply.

And it's obviously a good one for your MB with enough wattage on each rail
for it to function properly. I have seen even larger PSU's that don't
provide enough wattage on the +12v rail that might have problems though.

Jason Cothran
August 3rd 04, 12:15 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .net...
| On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:42:18 +0200, Andreas Kaiser wrote:

| >>My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
| >>system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
| >>worked stable.
| >
| > There's more that simple Watt numbers.
|
| Not really, except on which rails the wattage is provided.
|
| > I'm using a very solid Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power
| > supply.
| >
| And it's obviously a good one for your MB with enough wattage on each rail
| for it to function properly. I have seen even larger PSU's that don't
| provide enough wattage on the +12v rail that might have problems though.

I'm running a 350w on a A64 with no problems. 2 optical drives, 2 SATA
drives, 9800 pro, yadda yadda yadda.

Stephen Tomaszewski
August 3rd 04, 03:16 AM
The setup that I have is Rock stable but cannot get floppy controller to
work, think I may have to send board in on a RMA since I have tried
different cables, floppys, just built this rig last week and it handles all
the games and applications like a champ.Very stable and overclocked pretty
well....
Steve T
Gigabyte K8NS-Pro
AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.2 = 3200+ w/stock cooling
Mushkin Green PC3200 512 Meg X 2= 1Gig
Antec Sonata 380 Watt PS
2X Maxtor 40 Gig PATA 133
Emprex 4X DVD RW CDRW
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Meg

"Ed" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:45:08 +0900, Wad > wrote:
>

> >Hi Yall,
> >
> >Here is the system I am assembling:
> >

> > Athlon 64 3000
> > Abit KV8 Pro
> > Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
> > WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
> > Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
> > Gigabyte 9600XT
> > LG FLATRON L1720P
> > Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue
> >

> >Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
> >

> >Wad
> >

> No need for the 480W I'd go for the 420 unless the 480 was only $2 more.
> ;p
>
> FWIW, I built this for a friend about 4 months ago, it's been running
> rock solid since day one.
>
> Antec Sonata case w/380W
> Athlon 64 3000+
> AMD64 HS/fan (only 21db) $7 @ newegg
> MSI Neo (754)
> 1GB Mushkin 2x512 PC3500
> 2 - WD 160GB (SATA) drives
> 8x DVD-RW
> 52X CDRW
> ATI 9800 Pro 128M
> AUDIGY 2Z
> etc,etc......
>
> hth,
> Ed

RonK
August 3rd 04, 04:03 AM
Make sure the floppy is detected in the bios settings, Does the floppy
light stay on all the time ?

"Stephen Tomaszewski" > wrote in message
> The setup that I have is Rock stable but cannot get floppy controller to
> work, think I may have to send board in on a RMA since I have tried
> different cables, floppys, just built this rig last week and it handles
all
> the games and applications like a champ.Very stable and overclocked pretty
> well....
> Steve T
> Gigabyte K8NS-Pro
> AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.2 = 3200+ w/stock cooling
> Mushkin Green PC3200 512 Meg X 2= 1Gig
> Antec Sonata 380 Watt PS
> 2X Maxtor 40 Gig PATA 133
> Emprex 4X DVD RW CDRW
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Meg
>

> "Ed" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:45:08 +0900, Wad > wrote:
> >

> > >Hi Yall,
> > >
> > >Here is the system I am assembling:
> > >

> > > Athlon 64 3000
> > > Abit KV8 Pro
> > > Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
> > > WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
> > > Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
> > > Gigabyte 9600XT
> > > LG FLATRON L1720P
> > > Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue
> > >

> > >Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
> > >

> > >Wad
> > >

> > No need for the 480W I'd go for the 420 unless the 480 was only $2 more.
> > ;p
> >
> > FWIW, I built this for a friend about 4 months ago, it's been running
> > rock solid since day one.
> >
> > Antec Sonata case w/380W
> > Athlon 64 3000+
> > AMD64 HS/fan (only 21db) $7 @ newegg
> > MSI Neo (754)
> > 1GB Mushkin 2x512 PC3500
> > 2 - WD 160GB (SATA) drives
> > 8x DVD-RW
> > 52X CDRW
> > ATI 9800 Pro 128M
> > AUDIGY 2Z
> > etc,etc......
> >
> > hth,
> > Ed

Cuzman
August 4th 04, 01:08 AM
"Wad" > wrote in message

" Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w? "

You should be OK with the Antec True-Blue 420W, but you may also have to
measure the choice with upgrading in mind.

Without changing the motherboard, you could upgrade to an Athlon64 3700+, 2x
1GB DDR RAM, and a much more powerful graphics card, perhaps one that hasn't
yet been released. You will probably need more than 420W with a setup like
that, so you'll then need to buy a more-powerful PSU.

Will it cost you more in the long-run if you only buy a 420W now? Perhaps
so.

Derek Baker
August 4th 04, 10:05 PM
Cuzman wrote:
> "Wad" > wrote in message
>
> " Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w? "
>

> You should be OK with the Antec True-Blue 420W, but you may also have
> to measure the choice with upgrading in mind.
>
> Without changing the motherboard, you could upgrade to an Athlon64
> 3700+, 2x 1GB DDR RAM, and a much more powerful graphics card,
> perhaps one that hasn't yet been released. You will probably need
> more than 420W with a setup like that, so you'll then need to buy a
> more-powerful PSU.
>
> Will it cost you more in the long-run if you only buy a 420W now?
> Perhaps so.

I was considering the True Power 480, but today went for the 550. It was
only ?10 more.

--
Derek

DukeN
August 27th 04, 04:05 AM
<< Running an Antec Smartpower 350W - A64 3200 (no OC), 1Gig, one SATA drive,
two ROM drives, one floppy and radeon 9800pro. Seems rock solid.