PDA

View Full Version : Socket 754 Motherboard

Derek Baker
July 30th 04, 03:25 PM
Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.

Any problems with these? Any preferences?

Thanks
--
Derek

The Chief
July 30th 04, 03:36 PM
Tom's Hardware is only one of several sites with MB reviews. Here's a
link to Tom's:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040420/index.html

Derek Baker wrote:
> Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.
>
> Any problems with these? Any preferences?
>

> Thanks

Derek Baker
July 30th 04, 03:39 PM
The Chief wrote:
> Tom's Hardware is only one of several sites with MB reviews. Here's a
> link to Tom's:
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040420/index.html

Thanks, but that has the Nforce150, I'm thinking of a 250.

--
Derek

The Chief
July 30th 04, 03:39 PM
P.S.

I went with the MSI K8T Neo FSR (no fire wire, only 2 SATA ports) based
on Tom's reviews and I am very happy with the system. In fact, I even
bought a second one for my wife!

Derek Baker wrote:

> Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.
>
> Any problems with these? Any preferences?
>

> Thanks

Derek Baker
July 30th 04, 03:40 PM
Derek Baker wrote:
> The Chief wrote:
>> Tom's Hardware is only one of several sites with MB reviews. Here's
>> a link to Tom's:
>>
>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040420/index.html
>>

> Thanks, but that has the Nforce150, I'm thinking of a 250.

Ignore that: proof you shouldn't post with a headache. :D

--
Derek

The Chief
July 30th 04, 03:42 PM
There must be something wrong with your internet. When I go to that
page, the title of the review is:

"New and Improved: NVIDIA nForce3 250 Gb Chipset"

Where do you see "150"?

Derek Baker wrote:

> The Chief wrote:
>
>>Tom's Hardware is only one of several sites with MB reviews. Here's a
>>link to Tom's:
>>
>>http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040420/index.html
>>

> Thanks, but that has the Nforce150, I'm thinking of a 250.
>

>>Derek Baker wrote:
>>
>>>Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte
>>>and MSI.
>>>
>>>Any problems with these? Any preferences?
>>>

>>>Thanks

Derek Baker
July 30th 04, 03:52 PM
The Chief wrote:
> There must be something wrong with your internet. When I go to that
> page, the title of the review is:
>
> "New and Improved: NVIDIA nForce3 250 Gb Chipset"
>
> Where do you see "150"?
>

> Derek Baker wrote:
>
>> The Chief wrote:
>>
>>> Tom's Hardware is only one of several sites with MB reviews.
>>> Here's a link to Tom's:
>>>
>>> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040420/index.html
>>>

>> Thanks, but that has the Nforce150, I'm thinking of a 250.

See my reply to that post of mine. :)

--
Derek

Derek Baker
July 30th 04, 04:24 PM
The Chief wrote:
> P.S.
>
> I went with the MSI K8T Neo FSR (no fire wire, only 2 SATA ports)
> based on Tom's reviews and I am very happy with the system. In fact,
> I even bought a second one for my wife!
>

> Derek Baker wrote:
>
>> Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte
>> and MSI.
>>
>> Any problems with these? Any preferences?
>>

>> Thanks

I'm leaning toward the MSI K8N Neo Platinum.

--
Derek

johny
July 31st 04, 12:48 AM
Myself is running MSI K8T Neo FS2R, and myself is pretty happy with the
mobo.

"The Chief" > wrote in message
> P.S.
>
> I went with the MSI K8T Neo FSR (no fire wire, only 2 SATA ports) based
> on Tom's reviews and I am very happy with the system. In fact, I even
> bought a second one for my wife!
>

> Derek Baker wrote:
>
> > Just about to upgrade. Most common brands here are Asus, Gigabyte and
MSI.

> > Any problems with these? Any preferences?
> >

> > Thanks

Spock
July 31st 04, 01:26 PM
johny wrote:
:: Myself is running MSI K8T Neo FS2R, and myself is pretty happy with
:: the mobo.
::
::
I'm considering the above board, just looking at the manual I downloaded, it
says on p2.9 'plugging memories in DIMM1 AND DIMM2 makes the system reach
optimum performance' ?? So if I want 1 Gig of RAM do I use 2 x 512MB dimms
OR 1 x 1 GB dimm ?? 1 dimm would be preferable for possible future
upgading, rather than using 2 slots (of the 3). I'm slightly confused.

Mike

Wes Newell
July 31st 04, 07:30 PM
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:26:37 +0000, Spock wrote:

> johny wrote:
> :: Myself is running MSI K8T Neo FS2R, and myself is pretty happy with
> :: the mobo.
> ::
> ::
> I'm considering the above board, just looking at the manual I downloaded, it
> says on p2.9 'plugging memories in DIMM1 AND DIMM2 makes the system reach
> optimum performance' ?? So if I want 1 Gig of RAM do I use 2 x 512MB dimms
> OR 1 x 1 GB dimm ?? 1 dimm would be preferable for possible future
> upgading, rather than using 2 slots (of the 3). I'm slightly confused.

Socket 754 (assuming that's what you're talking about from subject line)
only supports 1 channel. It would not benefit from 2 memory sticks.

Spock
August 1st 04, 10:17 AM
::: johny wrote:
::::: Myself is running MSI K8T Neo FS2R, and myself is pretty happy
::::: with the mobo.
:::::
:::::
::: I'm considering the above board, just looking at the manual I
::: downloaded, it says on p2.9 'plugging memories in DIMM1 AND DIMM2
::: makes the system reach optimum performance' ?? So if I want 1 Gig
::: of RAM do I use 2 x 512MB dimms OR 1 x 1 GB dimm ?? 1 dimm would
::: be preferable for possible future upgading, rather than using 2
::: slots (of the 3). I'm slightly confused.
:::
:: Socket 754 (assuming that's what you're talking about from subject
:: line) only supports 1 channel. It would not benefit from 2 memory
:: sticks.
::

So why does the manual state "'plugging memories in DIMM1 AND DIMM2
makes the system reach optimum performance" ??
Mike

Wes Newell
August 1st 04, 10:27 AM
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:17:51 +0000, Spock wrote:

> So why does the manual state "'plugging memories in DIMM1 AND DIMM2
> makes the system reach optimum performance" ??

You'd have to ask whomever wrote it I guess. Could be they're talking
about 4 way interleaving, but I wouldn't consider that enough to even
worry about and you should be able to enable it with just 1 dimm.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=87

Juergen Kluth
August 1st 04, 11:57 PM
HI,
http://www.de.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040525/a64-speichermodule-26.html
is also a check for ddram mobo compatibility
If you dont understand german
asus is most kompatible.
regards jk

Derek Baker
August 2nd 04, 12:17 AM
Juergen Kluth wrote:
> HI,

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040525/a64-speichermodule-26.html
> is also a check for ddram mobo compatibility
> If you dont understand german
> asus is most kompatible.
> regards jk

Or look here for the English version:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/index.html

--
Derek

Derek Baker
August 2nd 04, 01:01 AM
Derek Baker wrote:
> Juergen Kluth wrote:
>> HI,

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040525/a64-speichermodule-26.html
>> is also a check for ddram mobo compatibility
>> If you dont understand german
>> asus is most kompatible.
>> regards jk
>
> Or look here for the English version:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/index.html

BTW Thanks jk, I didn't know there were problems with double-sided DIMMs on
the Athlon64.

--
Derek