PDA

View Full Version : Good video card to use with athlon64 on linux and win 64

Marcio Esper
July 27th 04, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I woul like to know how is the best video card with 128mb ram to use with
an AMD 64 3000+ K8T Neo for use on linux Mdk 86_64 and winxp 64

tkz in advance.

best regards,

Marcio

"Marcio Esper" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi,
>
> I woul like to know how is the best video card with 128mb ram to use with
> an AMD 64 3000+ K8T Neo for use on linux Mdk 86_64 and winxp 64

Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plague.

Hellmark
July 27th 04, 06:44 PM
K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> "Marcio Esper" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Hi,
>> I woul like to know how is the best video card with 128mb ram to use with
>> an AMD 64 3000+ K8T Neo for use on linux Mdk 86_64 and winxp 64
> Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plague.

I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.

Hellmark
July 27th 04, 07:28 PM
Hellmark's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
>> "Marcio Esper" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> Hi,
>>> I woul like to know how is the best video card with 128mb ram to use with
>>> an AMD 64 3000+ K8T Neo for use on linux Mdk 86_64 and winxp 64
>> Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plague.
> I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.

Also, if you run a debian based system, using Kano's scripts, its really
super simple to set things up for OpenGL support.

July 27th 04, 11:16 PM
>>> I woul like to know how is the best video card with 128mb ram to use with
>>> an AMD 64 3000+ K8T Neo for use on linux Mdk 86_64 and winxp 64

>> Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plague.

>I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.

If 2D is all you need, a GF4MX or R9200se is all you need. If you want
to do ANY gaming, sadly nVidia is the only vendor with 3D accelerated
64bit drivers (albeit proprietary) at the moment.

FWIW, I use a R9500pro on SuSE 9.1 AMD64.

July 28th 04, 12:39 AM
"Hellmark" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]****SPA M.net...

> I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.

So do I, but the 3D performance is abysmal. ATI have no clue when it comes
to OpenGL.

Marcio Esper
July 28th 04, 01:18 AM
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:16:13 +0000, mitbit2003 wrote:

>>> Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plague.
>
>>I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.
>
> If 2D is all you need, a GF4MX or R9200se is all you need. If you want
> to do ANY gaming, sadly nVidia is the only vendor with 3D accelerated
> 64bit drivers (albeit proprietary) at the moment.
>
> FWIW, I use a R9500pro on SuSE 9.1 AMD64.

Tkz, I will buy one nVidea :)

Hellmark
July 28th 04, 11:23 PM
mitbit2003's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
>>> Any Nvidia card, avoid ATI like the plauge
>>I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.
> If 2D is all you need, a GF4MX or R9200se is all you need. If you want
> to do ANY gaming, sadly nVidia is the only vendor with 3D accelerated
> 64bit drivers (albeit proprietary) at the moment.
> FWIW, I use a R9500pro on SuSE 9.1 AMD64.

I run a 9200SR 128mb, and it works great with linux for 3d, however I'm
not running a 64bit OS.

Hellmark
July 28th 04, 11:25 PM
K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> "Hellmark" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]****SPA M.net...
>> I run ATI cards under linux, and I have no problems with it.
> So do I, but the 3D performance is abysmal. ATI have no clue when it comes
> to OpenGL.

I have zero problems with OpenGL, no slowdowns, etc. Before I installed
the proper drivers, yeah, I was getting like 2 frames a second under
OpenGL, but thats just using the stock SVGA setup, not using the Radeon
drivers.