PDA

View Full Version : GA-K8N - gigabyte or others

Getho
July 7th 04, 09:04 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the board above? I'd rather have stability than
speed - any others that are similarly priced?

Getho

Wes Newell
July 7th 04, 11:43 AM
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:04:14 +1000, Getho wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on the board above? I'd rather have stability than
> speed - any others that are similarly priced?

Why would you want an NF3-150 chipset? It's the worst of the lot. If you
want Nvidia, get one with the nf3-250 chipset, otherwise, SIS, VIA, or Ali.

Getho
July 8th 04, 12:54 AM
I dont know why or would or wouldn't want a particular chipset, thats why
I'm asking. These boards are being lauded by tech sites like anandtech, but
you cant beat users experience. Any suggestions then, for stable boards
prefferably with more than 4 ide devices, 3 dimm slots on *any* chipset?

Getho

"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .net...
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:04:14 +1000, Getho wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any thoughts on the board above? I'd rather have stability
than
> > speed - any others that are similarly priced?
> >
> Why would you want an NF3-150 chipset? It's the worst of the lot. If you
> want Nvidia, get one with the nf3-250 chipset, otherwise, SIS, VIA, or
Ali.

Wes Newell
July 8th 04, 05:13 AM
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:54:06 +1000, Getho wrote:

> I dont know why or would or wouldn't want a particular chipset, thats why
> I'm asking. These boards are being lauded by tech sites like anandtech, but
> you cant beat users experience. Any suggestions then, for stable boards
> prefferably with more than 4 ide devices, 3 dimm slots on *any* chipset?

As I said, any except the NF3-150 chipset. Personnally, I chose the Jetway
S755MAX. Reasons were 1) SIS755 chipset, the fastest and most reliable. 2)
Supports lots of settings adjustments you usually don't find on SIS
chipset boards. 3) Uses a seperate S180 raid controller that provides
both sata and ata raid support for a total of 6 ata and 2 sata devices. 4)
At $89 it was the best buy IMO. This was a few months ago. The newer
chipsets have advanced. The most notable advance was with HT bus going
from 800MHz to 1000MHz. Today, I'd have to look at all of them again to
make a decision, but wouldn't buy an old chipset. The NF3-250 would be a
contender, as would new chipsets from SIS, Ali, and VIA. Find the chipset
you want, then find the board that has the features you want. Oh, using 3
dimm slots causes problems and usually results in less performance than
using just 1 or 2.

All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.

Getho
July 9th 04, 08:18 AM
Hi Wes,

> All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.

Thanks for the suggustions, as I said I spent a tonne of time searching the
web reading reviews, came hear for user opinions.
I took the time to look, and to be honest a lot of what is stated in the
tech sites goes over my head, reviews are seldom dated and many dont state
what chipsets the boards use - you have to figure that out from the date of
the review - which if its archived is uaually pretty hard to find.

Geth.

Wes Newell
July 9th 04, 09:52 PM
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:18:14 +1000, Getho wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>>
>> All this info is on the web if you just take the time to look.
>>
> Thanks for the suggustions, as I said I spent a tonne of time searching the
> web reading reviews, came hear for user opinions.
> I took the time to look, and to be honest a lot of what is stated in the
> tech sites goes over my head, reviews are seldom dated and many dont state
> what chipsets the boards use - you have to figure that out from the date of
> the review - which if its archived is uaually pretty hard to find.

Go to the manufacturers webiste and look at the specs for the board. I
don't recall any that don't give the chipset used. As I said earlier, I
would but the GA-K8N today. Look for a newer chipset if you are concerned
with performance and upgradability or getting more form a slower cpu.
AKAIK, Nvidia, Ali, VIA, and SIS all make newer chipsets that support the
new HTT link specs. And if you're cerned with overclocking, make sure it
has a PCI lock.

Getho
July 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Hi Wes,
Thanks for the advice, yes I've been jumping from review to manufacturers
websites, I'm cross-eyed with all the reviews and features I've reviewed.
Think I'll go with the Anandtech reccommednation the msi neo platinum,
Getho

news:[email protected] .net...