PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress

Jason
July 5th 04, 07:33 PM
Hi all,

Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.

My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
temperatures?

Kind Regards,

Jason

(Jason) wrote in news:f6b73bcb.0407051033.45cd0162
@posting.google.com:

> Hi all,
>
> Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
> My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> temperatures?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jason

I'm getting ready to dive into the X64 world myself and have been doing a
lot of research into AMD64 line and motherboards. From what I've read so
far, your temps should be around 30-35 C while on idle and temps up to 50-
55C are considered normal when the CPU is under full load. So it seems
that these temps that you are seeing are a bit high to say the least.

You should look into these areas:

1) What is your CPU cooler? Is it effective in cooling your AMD64 3200? Is
it even certified for AMD64 socket 754?

The reputable brands are Zalman, Thermaltake, Thermalright, Arctic Cooling
and Scythe.

2) Is your case ventilation adequate? Do you have enough fans in the case?
Are these fans place properly? Are these fans big enough?

3) The case itself could be a problem.

4) Some reviews on various websites made references to the possibility that
some (if not all) of the Gigabyte motherboards do not support AMD64's Cool
and Quiet technology. If in fact this is true, then this may explain to
some degree (pardon the pun!) as to why your idle temps are so high.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Si
July 5th 04, 08:18 PM
Take the side off the case - leave it running for about 5 or 10 mins - if
the temp drops - it is down to pool ventilation in your case. I had the same
problems when I upgraded my PC to AMD at Xmas.

I took the side off my case - and the temp dropped 20 degrees in 10 mins.
This prompted me to chase my case for one with more ventilation where I
could istall additional fans on the side and on the rear. I also replaced my
processor fan for a "Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite Alloy Extrusion + Aero Fan Amd
Cpu"
eg:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=774241976&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62489

A System Exhaust Blower Fan also helped:
eg:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=774253984&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=23879

Hope this helps,

Si.

Wes Newell
July 6th 04, 02:22 AM
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:33:28 -0700, Jason wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
> My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> temperatures?

If the temps are correct, yes, you should be worried, a lot. Some MB's may
not be reporting temps right. don't know about yours. Double check the
cooler installation. I get about 40C in bios on my 64 3000+ using the
stock cooler.

johny
July 6th 04, 08:58 AM
Like Wes said, your Motherboard may not be reporting the temperature right.
Try different temperature reporting software like Hmonitor, Motherboard
Monitor 5, etc and see what you get, or try measuring the temperature
manualy with a temp measuring device, whatever you come up with. If your CPU
is really running at 60-65, thats way too high. When I was running my A64
3200+ air cooled, the highest I would get was 52C or so, about 38C idle with
stock HSF. With todays CPUs, you have to have proper case vent, at least 2
80mm fans, 1 intake 1 exhaus. CPU temp is no longer a problem for me as its
watercooled. 30C idle peeks at 40C under heavy load.
Goodluck

"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
> My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> temperatures?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jason

Caoimhghin
July 6th 04, 10:54 AM
"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
> My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> temperatures?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jason

Use a program like CPU-Z to verify which AMD64 you have, if it's the latest
Newcastle core, i.e. Family=F, Model=C, Stepping=0 then there is a known
temperature monitoring issue with the motherboard BIOS, as far as I know
this affects all K8 motherboards. Some motherboard manufacturers like Abit
have already addressed this problem and the temperatures are showing around
20C less.

The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating. You should check in
a Gigabyte forum to see if others are experiencing similar problems and get
Gigabyte to address the problem.

johny
July 12th 04, 08:13 AM
AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress
Just build A64 2800+ system on MSI K8T Neo FISR MB. Same problem as Jason
has. Idling at 63C, loaded at max 77C! Yes it is the new processor with
NewCastle core, Family F Model C Stepping 0. In the store where I bought the
hardware, I was told that its the problem with the new NewCastle core
reporting the temps incorrectly. If it wasn't so, and the actual die temp
was 77C, wouldn't my cpu be dead already?
Coaimhghin says:
>The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
>damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating.
Okay, where does this "overheating protection" read the temperature from? Is
there some OnDie sensor for overheating protection that we can't get reading
from?

If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't I be
able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system shut down
automaticaly in few minutes? AMD Product Spec says Max Die temp can be 85C.

Just updated the BIOS to latest revision, it doesn't fix the problem.

Okay, anybody has the same problem, solution to this problem or answers to
my questions, any help is much appreciated.

"Caoimhghin" > wrote in
message ...

> "Jason" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> > I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> > have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> > runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> > Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
> >
> > My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> > temperatures?
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Jason
>
> Use a program like CPU-Z to verify which AMD64 you have, if it's the
latest
> Newcastle core, i.e. Family=F, Model=C, Stepping=0 then there is a known
> temperature monitoring issue with the motherboard BIOS, as far as I know
> this affects all K8 motherboards. Some motherboard manufacturers like
Abit
> have already addressed this problem and the temperatures are showing
around
> 20C less.
>
> The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
> damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating. You should check
in
> a Gigabyte forum to see if others are experiencing similar problems and
get
> Gigabyte to address the problem.

Ed Light
July 12th 04, 09:11 AM
"johny" > wrote

> If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't I
be
> able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system shut
down
> automaticaly in few minutes?

Probably the cpu would instantly be toast.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell
July 12th 04, 09:58 AM
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:13:40 +0000, johny wrote:

> AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress
> Just build A64 2800+ system on MSI K8T Neo FISR MB. Same problem as Jason
> has. Idling at 63C, loaded at max 77C! Yes it is the new processor with
> NewCastle core, Family F Model C Stepping 0. In the store where I bought the
> hardware, I was told that its the problem with the new NewCastle core
> reporting the temps incorrectly. If it wasn't so, and the actual die temp
> was 77C, wouldn't my cpu be dead already?

Nope it would have shut off. This I know from yesterday. Flashed a new
bios, rebooted and noticed temps climbing. Figuring the new bios was
screwed up I watched it a while. When it got pretty high after a while I
took the side cover off and saw that my cpu fan wasn't on. I played with
it a while trying to get it to work, then started some bad smells. The
machine shut down within a few seconds. Replaced the fan and running
again. The fan was a TMD fan. That's either 2 or 3 that I've had die on me
before they were a year old. It will be my last.

> Coaimhghin says:
>>The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
>>damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating.
> Okay, where does this "overheating protection" read the temperature from? Is
> there some OnDie sensor for overheating protection that we can't get reading
> from?

It's an internal circuit that you can't monitor afaik.

> If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't
> I be able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system
> shut down automaticaly in few minutes? AMD Product Spec says Max Die
> temp can be 85C.

Yep. Even though mine did shutdown on it's own, I wouldn't want to test it
again.:-)

David Efflandt
July 13th 04, 06:14 AM
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:13:40 GMT, johny > wrote:
> AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress
> Just build A64 2800+ system on MSI K8T Neo FISR MB. Same problem as Jason
> has. Idling at 63C, loaded at max 77C! Yes it is the new processor with
> NewCastle core, Family F Model C Stepping 0. In the store where I bought the
> hardware, I was told that its the problem with the new NewCastle core
> reporting the temps incorrectly. If it wasn't so, and the actual die temp
> was 77C, wouldn't my cpu be dead already?
> Coaimhghin says:
>>The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
>>damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating.
> Okay, where does this "overheating protection" read the temperature from? Is
> there some OnDie sensor for overheating protection that we can't get reading
> from?
>
> If the overheating temperature exists and functions properly, shouldn't I be
> able to remove my HSF from the CPU completely and watch the system shut down
> automaticaly in few minutes? AMD Product Spec says Max Die temp can be 85C.

85C is for 32-bit chips 2200+ and higher. Max case temp for 64-bit is 70C
(mobile chips are 95C). My HP a530n BIOS (Asus KBN8X-LA mobo) shows my
AMD 64 3200+ (2000 MHz) about 45C, which is only in upper 40's at full
load (fire.exe). It idles at 38C.

As a comparison Compaq 32-bit AMD XP 3000+ (2100 MHz) shows 65C in BIOS,
69C CPU under full load, 48C idle. But it is rated 85C case temp.

> Just updated the BIOS to latest revision, it doesn't fix the problem.

How does BIOS temperature compare with temperatures you are seeing?

> Okay, anybody has the same problem, solution to this problem or answers to
> my questions, any help is much appreciated.
>

> "Caoimhghin" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> "Jason" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
>> > I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
>> > have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
>> > runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
>> > Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>> >
>> > My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
>> > temperatures?
>> >
>> > Kind Regards,
>> >
>> > Jason
>>
>> Use a program like CPU-Z to verify which AMD64 you have, if it's the
> latest
>> Newcastle core, i.e. Family=F, Model=C, Stepping=0 then there is a known
>> temperature monitoring issue with the motherboard BIOS, as far as I know
>> this affects all K8 motherboards. Some motherboard manufacturers like
> Abit
>> have already addressed this problem and the temperatures are showing
> around
>> 20C less.
>>
>> The AMD64 will 'shut down' if the core temperature exceeds 70C to prevent
>> damage, if your system is stable it isn't over heating. You should check
> in
>> a Gigabyte forum to see if others are experiencing similar problems and
> get
>> Gigabyte to address the problem.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/

johny
July 13th 04, 07:24 AM
> 85C is for 32-bit chips 2200+ and higher. Max case temp for 64-bit is 70C
> (mobile chips are 95C). My HP a530n BIOS (Asus KBN8X-LA mobo) shows my
> AMD 64 3200+ (2000 MHz) about 45C, which is only in upper 40's at full
> load (fire.exe). It idles at 38C.
> As a comparison Compaq 32-bit AMD XP 3000+ (2100 MHz) shows 65C in BIOS,
> 69C CPU under full load, 48C idle. But it is rated 85C case temp.

Thats not what this CPU History sheet is telling me.
http://home.comcast.net/~romanvp/cpu_history_big.gif
Its a little outdated, NewCastle is not on there yet. Socket 754,
Clawhammer, Max die temp, 85C. Even though the CPU I'm talking about is a
2800+ NewCastle, but they're not much different from the Clawhammer.

> > Just updated the BIOS to latest revision, it doesn't fix the problem.
>
> How does BIOS temperature compare with temperatures you are seeing?

When I boot the PC, from cold, and go straight to BIOS, it shows CPU Temp of
68C. I don't think CPU can get that hot in 10 seconds it takes to get into
BIOS. Third party software such as MDM5, Hmonitor and Speed fan show 60C by
the time I get to windows. So, BIOS is actualy showing ~8C more than what
I'm seeing in windows.

johny
July 13th 04, 07:46 AM
Correction. New cpu_history_big.gif aquired. The NewCastles die temp is 70C,
you're right.
Same link http://home.comcast.net/~romanvp/cpu_history_big.gif

HPM-Computer
July 20th 04, 10:05 AM
Hi Jason,

I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
(MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and Mottherboard
Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).

Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C and
anything below 75 should be a no-worry!

Greetings
Uwe
http://www.hpm-computer.de

"Jason" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> Hi all,
>
> Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
> My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> temperatures?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jason

Wes Newell
July 20th 04, 08:44 PM
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:05:33 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

> I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
> (MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
> Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and Mottherboard
> Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).

And all these different readings are taken from the same sensor? Do you
know anything about sensor chips?

> Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
> aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
> and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!

The only "fact" I can determine from this is that you really don't know
the facts..BTW, my boards cpu sensor comes off the diode setting of
sensor1 of the IT8705F chip. Now if you don't know where yours comes from,
then you don't really know if any of your temps are correct. Oh yeah, I
had to set the proper sensor in MBM. S755MAX MB.

Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.

ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.

HPM-Computer
July 20th 04, 09:56 PM
What a friendly answer ;)

"Wes Newell" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected] .net...
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:05:33 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:
>
> > I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
> > (MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
> > Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and
Mottherboard
> > Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).
> >
> And all these different readings are taken from the same sensor? Do you
> know anything about sensor chips?

Yes indeed: W83697HF..and yes...I know a little bit about sensorchips...not
that it is a very interesting topic, but...

> > Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
> > aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
> > and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!
> >
> The only "fact" I can determine from this is that you really don't know
> the facts..BTW, my boards cpu sensor comes off the diode setting of
> sensor1 of the IT8705F chip. Now if you don't know where yours comes from,
> then you don't really know if any of your temps are correct. Oh yeah, I
> had to set the proper sensor in MBM. S755MAX MB.

Cool, so you know how to spot your mainboard on a list provieded by MBM5+.
That is nbot very difficult and was done by me as well. Another interesting
fact is, that you don't know anything about modern mainboards (I don't think
the Abit KT7 is a brandnew one..I think I've had a KT7 myself back in the
ol' days of manually searching for sensorchips. Fact is that the MSI K8T-Neo
does have a featured software called "Core Center" which uses, guess which,
the same ol' sensorchip than MBM5+ does when you choose the K8T-Neo FSR, the
W83697HF. The fact that I was speaking about in my first post was that MBM5+
and MSI Core Center show different temperatures although using the same
chip.

> Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
> Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.
>
> ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.

Absolutely right...in fact that your CPU won't last longer than 5-10 seconds
with 95 C while at 85 C it is still capable of booting and shutting down.

Good luck for your overclocking experiments!

Wes Newell
July 21st 04, 07:24 AM
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

> What a friendly answer ;)

I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.

> "Wes Newell" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected] .net...
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:05:33 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:
>>
>> > I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my
>> > motherboard (MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just
>> > after start. MSI Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full
>> > load) and
> Mottherboard
>> > Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).
>> >
>> And all these different readings are taken from the same sensor? Do you
>> know anything about sensor chips?
>
> Yes indeed: W83697HF..and yes...I know a little bit about
> sensorchips...not that it is a very interesting topic, but...
>

>> > Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as
>> > there aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up
>> > to 85 C and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!
>> >
>> The only "fact" I can determine from this is that you really don't know
>> the facts..BTW, my boards cpu sensor comes off the diode setting of
>> sensor1 of the IT8705F chip. Now if you don't know where yours comes
>> from, then you don't really know if any of your temps are correct. Oh
>> yeah, I had to set the proper sensor in MBM. S755MAX MB.
>
> Cool, so you know how to spot your mainboard on a list provieded by
> MBM5+. That is nbot very difficult and was done by me as well.

There you go again with the wrong answer. If you check the MBM MB list,
you won't find my board listed on it (unless it's been added in the last
couple of days). It's a Jetway S755MAX. Now go look. If you had looked
first, you could have saved yourself some embarrassment. This might ****
you off, but you represent one of the main reasons I even bother with
NG's. People that come in and state crap as facts.

> Another interesting fact is, that you don't know anything about modern
> mainboards (I don't think the Abit KT7 is a brandnew one..I think I've
> had a KT7 myself back in the ol' days of manually searching for
> sensorchips. Fact is that the MSI K8T-Neo does have a featured software
> called "Core Center" which uses, guess which, the same ol' sensorchip
> than MBM5+ does when you choose the K8T-Neo FSR, the W83697HF. The fact
> that I was speaking about in my first post was that MBM5+ and MSI Core
> Center show different temperatures although using the same chip.

Why are you even mentioning the KT7. I gave those away over a year ago.
I only keep it in my sig line to show people that the KT133 chipset is not
a limiting factor in upgrading the CPU, as all the manufactures sate they
won't work with XP cpu's. I'm currently using the A64 which should have
been obvious from my previous post of the A64 MB I'm using. You really
don't pay much attention do you. As for your board, I really don't care.
it was your statement about running the A64 at up 74C was why I replied.
That's about the worst advice I've seen in here. And even though the CPU
should shut down before it gets there, I felt I had to correct that before
someone actually listened to your bad advice and left their cpu running at
extremely high temps.

>> Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
>> Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.
>>
>> ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.
>
> Absolutely right...in fact that your CPU won't last longer than 5-10
> seconds with 95 C while at 85 C it is still capable of booting and
> shutting down.

I like your perserverence. Presented with the facts you try and turn them
into your favor. But since you now seem to agree wirth this, how can you
explain telling the OP not to worry as long as his temps are under 75C. I
was going to quote it here, but it seems to have been edited out by one
of us. I may have done it myself, but don't recall. I better go find it
though.......Ok here it is.

"Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!"

> Good luck for your overclocking experiments!

I don't need luck, but thanks anyway. And to be honest, I really don't
overclock, except to test. I actually underclock more than I overclock.

HPM-Computer
July 21st 04, 06:50 PM
"Wes Newell" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected] .net...
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:
>
> > What a friendly answer ;)
> >
> I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
> answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.

Please stop to scary people with your naive statements. There are lots of
people out there who use the original boxed cooler by AMD without additional
cooling. It is no problem to run an Athlon64 at temperatures below 75 C.

Roger, Over and Out!

> [...]
> > shutting down.
> >
> I like your perserverence. Presented with the facts you try and turn them
> into your favor. But since you now seem to agree wirth this, how can you
> explain telling the OP not to worry as long as his temps are under 75C. I
> was going to quote it here, but it seems to have been edited out by one
> of us. I may have done it myself, but don't recall. I better go find it
> though.......Ok here it is.
>
> "Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
> aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
> and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!"
>
> > Good luck for your overclocking experiments!
>
> I don't need luck, but thanks anyway. And to be honest, I really don't
> overclock, except to test. I actually underclock more than I overclock.

July 21st 04, 08:33 PM
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:50:40 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

> "Wes Newell" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected] .net...
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:
>>
>> > What a friendly answer ;)
>> >
>> I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
>> answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.
>
> Please stop to scary people with your naive statements. There are lots of
> people out there who use the original boxed cooler by AMD without additional
> cooling. It is no problem to run an Athlon64 at temperatures below 75 C.

Well, I use the boxed cooler. it's actually a pretty good cooler in
comparison to what came with the XP's. But it doesn't get anywhere close
to 75C, and if it started up towards it, it would shut itself down befor
getting there. So your statement is still wrong. 74C is below 75C and it
is a problem trying to run it there, not to mention that it would be 4C
over the max of 70C. My A64 CPU runs at about 35C idle. I don't know how
accurate the reading is but the cpu shut itself down somewhere over 60C
with the fan off. Don't recall the exact reported temp when it did, but it
was over 60c when I last looked at it when trying to get the fan to start
up. TMD fan was on it at the time. It was dead. Put the original back on,
but not before it shutdown.

Euchgrand
July 22nd 04, 08:53 PM
Hello, Brave New World....

Check your AMD64 core version with cpuz :
if you get a Newcastle core, then it's a known bios Tc issue : BIOS reports
TC 20C above real one.
If you read 65C, real TC is only 45C.
Max TC for AMD64 is 70C (except mobile one).
IF your system is OK with 75C, then it's this display bug : search a new
version for your bios.

Best regards

***Euchgrand***

"HPM-Computer" > wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
>
> I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
> (MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
> Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and Mottherboard
> Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).
>
> Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
> aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
and
> anything below 75 should be a no-worry!
>
> Greetings
> Uwe
> http://www.hpm-computer.de
>

> "Jason" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> om...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> > I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> > have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> > runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> > Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
> >
> > My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> > temperatures?
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Jason

John Doh!
July 25th 04, 12:40 PM
On 5 Jul 2004 11:33:28 -0700, (Jason) wrote:

>Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
>I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
>have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
>runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
>Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>
>My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
>temperatures?

My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!

Wes Newell
July 25th 04, 12:57 PM
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:40:10 +0000, John Doh! wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2004 11:33:28 -0700, (Jason) wrote:
>
>>Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
>>I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
>>have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
>>runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
>>Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>>
>>My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
>>temperatures?
>
> My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
> perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
> pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!

No. It's not perfectly normal. Max Tcase temp for the Athlon 63 is 70C. If
you're getting a true 65C, and it's probably not, then you're in for
problems. Mine runs at 35C Idle with stock cooler (3000+ 64). It did
shutdown somewhere over 60C when the fan died.

Gary Colligan
July 25th 04, 05:16 PM
"John Doh!" > wrote in message

> My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
> perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
> pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!

I don't thing so, my system is

CPU 35c
System 32c

under load it only adds about 10-15c to that....

AMD64 3000+ on a Gigabyte K8NS Pro [250 chipset] with 1gig Kingston ram
Raid 0 [2x80gig seagate] DVD-rom, CDRW, DVD-RW & 2x120gig HD, FX5600

so it has a bit of hot gear in it....

Andreas Kaiser
July 25th 04, 06:57 PM
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:57:08 GMT, Wes Newell
> wrote:

>No. It's not perfectly normal. Max Tcase temp for the Athlon 63 is 70C. If
>you're getting a true 65C, and it's probably not, then you're in for
>problems.

Unless it's the CPU die sensor temperature which is shown. The 70C
limit is the case temperature limit (of the heat spreader), and the
case temperature is quite a bit lower as the die temperature.

Most Athlon XP system are equipped with a separate socket sensor for
temperature display. AMD64 boards should be different, at least with
socket 940/939.

Here (socket 940) the die sensors show 50-52C when idle at 22C
ambient, with 5C more at full load (using die-temp controlled fans).

Gruss, Andreas

David Efflandt
July 25th 04, 09:14 PM
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:40:10 GMT, John Doh! > wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2004 11:33:28 -0700, (Jason) wrote:
>
>>Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
>>I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
>>have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
>>runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
>>Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
>>
>>My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
>>temperatures?
>
> My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
> perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
> pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!

So what do yours at 100% cpu load. I just have a store bought HP a530n
with AMD 64 3200+ and it rises about 10C between idle and full load (from
under 40C to under 50C at a warm 26C room temperature. But I just have
fixed speed fans.

If yours tried to rise 10C from 65C it would shut down at 70C (unless a
mobile 64 rated 95C). I certainly would not want to buy a PC from you.

The 32-bit AMDs do run hotter. I recently set up a Compaq with AMD XP
3000+ and CMOS setup showed it at 65C. I forget what it idled at, but it
topped out about 69C in the same warm 26C room. Not a problem because
higher speed 32-bit AMDs are rated 85C.

johny
July 25th 04, 10:10 PM
Instead of continuing the thread with nonsense, you should read the previous
posts and learn that Athlon64 with NewCastle Core reports CPU temperature ~
20C higher than actual temp. If the systems your company builds actually
runs 65C, they should use Heatsink+Fan to cool the CPU. If they think that
CPU is running 65C and its okay, they should do some research before
building A64 systems and selling them to people and have people talk crap
about AMD Processors.
Take a look at this sheet.
http://home.comcast.net/~romanvp/cpu_history_big.gif Newcastle Max Die
Temp. 70C

"John Doh!" > wrote in message
> On 5 Jul 2004 11:33:28 -0700, (Jason) wrote:
>
> >Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
> >I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
> >have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
> >runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
> >Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.
> >
> >My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
> >temperatures?
>
> My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
> perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
> pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!

Povl H. Pedersen
August 14th 04, 10:57 AM
In article >, Wes Newell wrote:
>> My company builds AMD 64-bit 3200 systems all the time and 65C is
>> perfectly normal at idle. All CPU's increase in temp when put under
>> pressure. Nothing to worry about, it's a very hot processor!
>
> No. It's not perfectly normal. Max Tcase temp for the Athlon 63 is 70C. If
> you're getting a true 65C, and it's probably not, then you're in for
> problems. Mine runs at 35C Idle with stock cooler (3000+ 64). It did
> shutdown somewhere over 60C when the fan died.

I have the same experience with the 3000+, it runs around 30-35 degrees.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - (yes - it works)
SIPPhone: 1-747.NOT.BYYI (668.2994) - Free Internet Phone