PDA

View Full Version : AM7266-D upgrade help

Christopher
June 29th 04, 05:40 AM
Can anyone please suggest or give some advice regarding upgrading my ASUS
motherboard.

I currently have 2 AMD2400 MP chips. I want to move up to AMD3200.

Is using a single AMD3200 XP better than 2 AMD2400? Does the 2400 run like a
2.4GHz? If so, the 2800 runs like a 2.8GHz?

Should I just go to AMD2800 MP (dual)? Or some insights would be most helpful.

How much is the increase from a single AMD3200XP vs 2 AMD2800?

Otherwise I am considering a much more expensive dual Opteron. Am I correct
that the main difference between the AMD64 vs Opteron is that the Opteron has
the ability to run SMP (understanding that 100 series does not).

Basically what I want is about 2X increase in speed from my A7M266-D(dual) 2400
running at one Gig RAM. Or at least how much improvement can I get from a
single 3200 vs dual 2800?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.
Kip

June 29th 04, 07:58 PM
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:40:40 -0700, Christopher wrote:

> Can anyone please suggest or give some advice regarding upgrading my ASUS
> motherboard.
>
> I currently have 2 AMD2400 MP chips. I want to move up to AMD3200.
>
> Is using a single AMD3200 XP better than 2 AMD2400? Does the 2400 run like a
> 2.4GHz? If so, the 2800 runs like a 2.8GHz?

<snipped>

Performance of 1 CPU vs 2 depends on whether you're running multi-threaded
apps. For example most games are single threaded and see virtually no
benefit if you add another processor.

Tell us what apps you run and we can tell you what performance increase
(if any) you will see.