PDA

View Full Version : Heatsink

Theodat
June 17th 04, 06:40 PM
I have only built computers using the AMD XP CPU. Do the heatsinks
for the AMD 64 CPU attached to the motherboard and CPU the same way
for the XP CPU? And are their any ohter differences I should be aware
of?

Thanks in advance.

Theodat

Hellmark
June 21st 04, 07:06 AM
Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> I have only built computers using the AMD XP CPU. Do the heatsinks
> for the AMD 64 CPU attached to the motherboard and CPU the same way
> for the XP CPU? And are their any ohter differences I should be aware
> of?

the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the backing
plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard

Only NoSpammers
June 22nd 04, 02:40 PM
"Hellmark" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]****SPA M.net...
> Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> were:
> > I have only built computers using the AMD XP CPU. Do the heatsinks
> > for the AMD 64 CPU attached to the motherboard and CPU the same way
> > for the XP CPU? And are their any ohter differences I should be aware
> > of?
>
> the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the backing
> plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard

Like a Playstation2 where its CPU heatsink is attached on the mobo?

--
Mazi

Theodat
June 22nd 04, 03:19 PM
Hellmark > wrote in message

> the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the backing
> plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard

So, some sort of plate needs to be fastened to the underside of the
board before putting on the Heatsink?

Thanks in Advance..
Theodat

Hellmark
June 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
Only NoSpammers's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> "Hellmark" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]****SPA M.net...
>> the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the backing
>> plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard
> Like a Playstation2 where its CPU heatsink is attached on the mobo?

No, it isn't directly attached, instead, there is a plate that you slide
on the underside of the motherboard with two posts that go through the
motherboard, and you screw the heatsink base onto that. Next up you do the
standard clipping on of the heatsink. its a bit of a pain with some bases
(the one that came with my mobo sucked, little plastic piece with nothing
to hold it on while you were trying to flip the board around to attach
it), but the plate and base that came with my heatsink were really nice.
Metal plate that had an adhesive pad, and really helps to dissapate some
of the heat

Hellmark
June 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Hellmark > wrote in message
>> the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the backing
>> plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard
> So, some sort of plate needs to be fastened to the underside of the
> board before putting on the Heatsink?

Yup.

johny
June 30th 04, 08:26 AM
And you'll get that plate with your boxed cpu and another one with your
motherboard, so you'll probably have one spare. A64 heatsink attach is much
better and easier to install than Socket A.

"Hellmark" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]****SPAM .net...
> Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> were:
> > Hellmark > wrote in message
> >> the heatsink mounts slightly different in the AMD64's. Namely the
backing
> >> plate needed on the otherside of the motherboard
> > So, some sort of plate needs to be fastened to the underside of the
> > board before putting on the Heatsink?
>
> Yup.

Theodat
July 1st 04, 04:32 AM
I was looking on th AMD website and could not find this information
(does not mean it is not there, but just could not find it). Think I
will wait for the price of the AMD 64 to come down just a bit before I
build one.

"johny" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s03>...
> And you'll get that plate with your boxed cpu and another one with your
> motherboard, so you'll probably have one spare. A64 heatsink attach is much
> better and easier to install than Socket A.
>

> "Hellmark" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]****SPAM .net...
> > Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> > were:
> backing
> > > So, some sort of plate needs to be fastened to the underside of the
> > > board before putting on the Heatsink?
> >
> > Yup.

Hellmark
July 1st 04, 08:27 AM
johny's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> "Hellmark" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]****SPAM .net...
>> Theodat's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
>> were:
> backing
>> > So, some sort of plate needs to be fastened to the underside of the
>> > board before putting on the Heatsink?
>> Yup.
> And you'll get that plate with your boxed cpu and another one with your
> motherboard, so you'll probably have one spare. A64 heatsink attach is much
> better and easier to install than Socket A.

(Corrected Top posting)

I personally liked the one with my heatsink the best, was all metal with
an insolated pad, compared to the plastic one with the motherboard