PDA

View Full Version : Future 2 on a chip CPUs

the gnome
June 16th 04, 04:58 PM
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.

The_gnome

Ben Pope
June 16th 04, 06:19 PM
the gnome wrote:
> AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
> chip.
>
> Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.

As far as I know the future is like this:

The Opteron (multiprocessor) platform is 940.

The FX platform will be 939.

No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
maybe the FX.

Ben

rstlne
June 16th 04, 09:25 PM
"Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> the gnome wrote:
> > AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on
one
> > chip.
> >
> > Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or
745ish.

> As far as I know the future is like this:
>
> The Opteron (multiprocessor) platform is 940.
>
> The FX platform will be 939.
>
> No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
> configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
> maybe the FX.
>
> Ben

I think the roadmaps actually show that
DualCore opt's first, then DualCore FX's .. and that will be all (for now)..
Their Cheaper lines continue with a single core.. The roadmaps have this
info howver, the OP should visit amd's site and catch up there.

Ben Pope
June 16th 04, 11:26 PM
rstlne wrote:
> "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
>>
>> No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
>> configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
>> maybe the FX.
>
> I think the roadmaps actually show that
> DualCore opt's first, then DualCore FX's .. and that will be all (for
> now).. Their Cheaper lines continue with a single core.. The roadmaps
> have this info howver, the OP should visit amd's site and catch up there.

....so my guess was good.

Ben

Peter Dickerson
June 17th 04, 12:17 PM
"the gnome" > wrote in message
> AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
> chip.
>
> Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.
>
> The_gnome

I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config because that
only has a single channel memory controller. The point of dual core is extra
performance (in the througput sense) and a good memory subsystem is required
for that.

Peter

rstlne
June 17th 04, 01:37 PM
"Peter Dickerson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "the gnome" > wrote in message
> > AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on
one
> > chip.
> >
> > Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or
745ish.

> > The_gnome
>
> I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config because
that
> only has a single channel memory controller. The point of dual core is
extra
> performance (in the througput sense) and a good memory subsystem is
required
> for that.
>
> Peter

yea..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/styleone/roadmap_061404.jpg
it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
chips moving to it..
From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this kinda
stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll not
be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)

Derek Baker
June 17th 04, 08:54 PM
rstlne wrote:
> "Peter Dickerson" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "the gnome" > wrote in message
>>> AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs
>>> on one chip.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or
>>> 745ish.
>>>
>>> The_gnome
>>
>> I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config
>> because that only has a single channel memory controller. The point
>> of dual core is extra performance (in the througput sense) and a
>> good memory subsystem is required for that.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> yea..
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/styleone/roadmap_061404.jpg
> it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the
> server/workstation chips moving to it..
> From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
> It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
> boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so
> this kinda stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that
> much cost (i'll not be buying one but I think it's a really
> intersting thing to watch)

Presumably as it's for the FX it will be socket 939.

--
Derek

June 18th 04, 07:13 PM
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:37:16 +0100, "rstlne" >
wrote:

>yea..
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/styleone/roadmap_061404.jpg
>it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
>chips moving to it..
>From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
>It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
>boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this kinda
>stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll not
>be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)

I'll never understand why intel didn't want to sell more dual
processor boards. They must really make a ton of money soaking
business for servers.

As I understand it, the opterons have a killer architecture that makes
interconnecting cores/cpu's very easy and high performance in multi
processor designs.

Early 2 Riz
June 18th 04, 07:30 PM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:37:16 +0100, "rstlne" >
> wrote:
>

> >yea..
> >http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/styleone/roadmap_061404.jpg
> >it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
> >chips moving to it..
> >From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
> >It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
> >boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this
kinda
> >stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll
not
> >be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)
> >

> I'll never understand why intel didn't want to sell more dual
> processor boards. They must really make a ton of money soaking
> business for servers.
>
> As I understand it, the opterons have a killer architecture that makes
> interconnecting cores/cpu's very easy and high performance in multi
> processor designs.

Chuck, Supermicro and Tyan also make dual Xeon processor boards.