PDA

View Full Version : Hey peeps, This is NOT an OS NG

Early 2 Riz
June 15th 04, 05:22 AM
If you want to discuss operating systems, you should put OT: in the subject
line, or find the appropriate NG, as this is not an OS newsgroup. It is a
hardware newsgroup. This is: alt.comp.HARDWARE.amd.x86-64

Thank you

rstlne
June 15th 04, 11:47 AM
"Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
> If you want to discuss operating systems, you should put OT: in the
subject
> line, or find the appropriate NG, as this is not an OS newsgroup. It is a
> hardware newsgroup. This is: alt.comp.HARDWARE.amd.x86-64
>

> Thank you

Telling people not to buy from specific web shops probably shouldnt be here
either

Thank you

Peter van der Goes
June 15th 04, 02:41 PM
"Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
> If you want to discuss operating systems, you should put OT: in the
subject
> line, or find the appropriate NG, as this is not an OS newsgroup. It is a
> hardware newsgroup. This is: alt.comp.HARDWARE.amd.x86-64
>

> Thank you

In addition to what rstlne mentioned, your post about an Asus motherboard
could (vs. processors and/or AMD) could be considered off topic by purists
(read vigilantes).
Self appointed on/off topic and netiquette monitors are typically not given
a very warm reception in newsgroups such as this. If you get my drift...

General Schvantzkoph
June 15th 04, 03:35 PM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:41:45 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:

> "Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
>> If you want to discuss operating systems, you should put OT: in the
> subject
>> line, or find the appropriate NG, as this is not an OS newsgroup. It is a
>> hardware newsgroup. This is: alt.comp.HARDWARE.amd.x86-64
>>

>> Thank you
>>

> In addition to what rstlne mentioned, your post about an Asus motherboard
> could (vs. processors and/or AMD) could be considered off topic by purists
> (read vigilantes).
> Self appointed on/off topic and netiquette monitors are typically not given
> a very warm reception in newsgroups such as this. If you get my drift...

This group is devoted to the AMD64 processor. Given that the architecture
is new, the status of OS support is a major issue, as such OS questions
are highly relevant. Two years from now, when 64Bit OSes will be mature,
OS questions will be off topic but not today.

Jon Back
June 15th 04, 04:10 PM
I salute the General. The interaction of OS and AMD64 is still very
relevant.
I'll agree that retail website info is pushing the limit, but if someone
found a site that was giving away Opterons, I'd want to know.

JonB

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:41:45 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:
>

> > "Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
> >> If you want to discuss operating systems, you should put OT: in the
> > subject
> >> line, or find the appropriate NG, as this is not an OS newsgroup. It is
> >> hardware newsgroup. This is: alt.comp.HARDWARE.amd.x86-64
> >>

> >> Thank you
> >>

> > In addition to what rstlne mentioned, your post about an Asus
motherboard
> > could (vs. processors and/or AMD) could be considered off topic by
purists
> > (read vigilantes).
> > Self appointed on/off topic and netiquette monitors are typically not
given
> > a very warm reception in newsgroups such as this. If you get my drift...
>
> This group is devoted to the AMD64 processor. Given that the architecture
> is new, the status of OS support is a major issue, as such OS questions
> are highly relevant. Two years from now, when 64Bit OSes will be mature,
> OS questions will be off topic but not today.

Early 2 Riz
June 15th 04, 04:41 PM
It is the Linux fanboys that I object to the most.

"Jon Back" > wrote in message
> I salute the General. The interaction of OS and AMD64 is still very
> relevant.
> I'll agree that retail website info is pushing the limit, but if someone
> found a site that was giving away Opterons, I'd want to know.
>
> JonB
>
> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message

> > > subject

> > > In addition to what rstlne mentioned, your post about an Asus
> motherboard
> > > could (vs. processors and/or AMD) could be considered off topic by
> purists
> > > (read vigilantes).
> > > Self appointed on/off topic and netiquette monitors are typically not
> given
> > > a very warm reception in newsgroups such as this. If you get my
drift...

> > This group is devoted to the AMD64 processor. Given that the
architecture
> > is new, the status of OS support is a major issue, as such OS questions
> > are highly relevant. Two years from now, when 64Bit OSes will be mature,
> > OS questions will be off topic but not today.

rstlne
June 15th 04, 06:28 PM
"Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
> It is the Linux fanboys that I object to the most.

Bit like saying you bought a dual-g4 system and hate the OSX boys.
Sounds like you have a "Personal" issue with the fanboys
I know a couple of them will reply via email, so if you wanna tell them to
stick it then tell em ( I did once and got my head bitten off, later turned
out I was wrong, but hey you can still do that if you really feel the need )

Early 2 Riz
June 15th 04, 06:37 PM
No. I just hate it when I am discussing Windows, and get told how awful
Windows is, and how much better Linux is. No matter how I phrase my Windows
XP 64bit questions, I get answers about Linux. <sigh>

That is why I tried to take a neutral approach, and ask people not to
discuss Operating Systems on this NG. But that isn't the answer either....

Maybe, just maybe... I can ask Windows questions without getting bombarded
with info or opinions on Linux?

"rstlne" > wrote in message

> "Early 2 Riz" > wrote in message
> > It is the Linux fanboys that I object to the most.
> >

> Bit like saying you bought a dual-g4 system and hate the OSX boys.
> Sounds like you have a "Personal" issue with the fanboys
> I know a couple of them will reply via email, so if you wanna tell them to
> stick it then tell em ( I did once and got my head bitten off, later
turned
> out I was wrong, but hey you can still do that if you really feel the
need )

Bill
June 15th 04, 07:44 PM
In article >, says...
> No. I just hate it when I am discussing Windows, and get told how awful
> Windows is, and how much better Linux is. No matter how I phrase my Windows
> XP 64bit questions, I get answers about Linux. <sigh>
>
> That is why I tried to take a neutral approach, and ask people not to
> discuss Operating Systems on this NG. But that isn't the answer either....
>
> Maybe, just maybe... I can ask Windows questions without getting bombarded
> with info or opinions on Linux?

Not if you keep top posting.

Bill

Peter van der Goes
June 15th 04, 08:24 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:41:45 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:
>

> This group is devoted to the AMD64 processor. Given that the architecture
> is new, the status of OS support is a major issue, as such OS questions
> are highly relevant. Two years from now, when 64Bit OSes will be mature,
> OS questions will be off topic but not today.

I agree with you 100%. Just as, IMHO, motherboard posts are fine as long as
we are talking about A64 motherboards :-)
The only question I have, General, is why respond to me instead of the OP?

Early 2 Riz
June 15th 04, 09:06 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
> > No. I just hate it when I am discussing Windows, and get told how awful
> > Windows is, and how much better Linux is. No matter how I phrase my
Windows
> > XP 64bit questions, I get answers about Linux. <sigh>
> >
> > That is why I tried to take a neutral approach, and ask people not to
> > discuss Operating Systems on this NG. But that isn't the answer
either....

> > Maybe, just maybe... I can ask Windows questions without getting
bombarded
> > with info or opinions on Linux?
> >

> Not if you keep top posting.
>
> Bill

<sigh> Not that again....

June 15th 04, 09:10 PM

> Not if you keep top posting.

It's a technical group, we will post where it fits. Troll elsewhere
please.

BoroLad

June 15th 04, 09:16 PM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:06:18 -0500, "Early 2 Riz" >
wrote:

>"Bill" > wrote in message
>> In article >, says...
>> > No. I just hate it when I am discussing Windows, and get told how awful
>> > Windows is, and how much better Linux is. No matter how I phrase my
>Windows
>> > XP 64bit questions, I get answers about Linux. <sigh>

>> > That is why I tried to take a neutral approach, and ask people not to
>> > discuss Operating Systems on this NG. But that isn't the answer
>either....

>> > Maybe, just maybe... I can ask Windows questions without getting
>bombarded
>> > with info or opinions on Linux?

>> Not if you keep top posting.

>> Bill

><sigh> Not that again....

Never a week goes by without one brain dead net-cop is there !
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html
BoroLad

Bill
June 15th 04, 11:47 PM
In article >, says...

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > In article >, says...
> > > No. I just hate it when I am discussing Windows, and get told how awful
> > > Windows is, and how much better Linux is. No matter how I phrase my
> Windows
> > > XP 64bit questions, I get answers about Linux. <sigh>
> > >
> > > That is why I tried to take a neutral approach, and ask people not to
> > > discuss Operating Systems on this NG. But that isn't the answer
> either....
> > >
> > > Maybe, just maybe... I can ask Windows questions without getting
> bombarded
> > > with info or opinions on Linux?
> > >

> > Not if you keep top posting.
> >
> > Bill
>
> <sigh> Not that again....

:)

Bill

Bill
June 15th 04, 11:48 PM
In article >,
says...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:06:18 -0500, "Early 2 Riz" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bill" > wrote in message
> >> In article >, says...
> >Windows

> >either....

> >bombarded
>
> >> Not if you keep top posting.
>
> >> Bill
>
> ><sigh> Not that again....
>
> Never a week goes by without one brain dead net-cop is there !
> http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html
> BoroLad

Or a whineing ****wit that complains about the netcops.

Bill

General Schvantzkoph
June 16th 04, 02:05 AM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:24:12 -0500, Peter van der Goes wrote:

> The only question I have, General, is why respond to me instead of the OP?
I wasn't responding to you specifically, I was just continuing the thread.