PDA

View Full Version : Good AMD Athlon XP Fan Recommendations???

Paul
June 10th 04, 02:34 AM
Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
overclock.

I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.

TIA,
Paul

Dave C.
June 10th 04, 02:46 AM
"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
> ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
> overclock.
>
> I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
> got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.
>
> TIA,
> Paul

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

Tim
June 10th 04, 04:03 AM
"Dave C." > wrote in message

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-010&depa=0

That's the one I ordered yesterday, for a mobile 2600+. Can't knock the
reviews ... or the price.

Doug
June 10th 04, 04:10 AM
This is what AMD recommends:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/thermal/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348^4356,00.
html

"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
> ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
> overclock.
>
> I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
> got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.
>
> TIA,
> Paul

Wes Newell
June 10th 04, 10:50 AM
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:34:59 -0700, Paul wrote:

> Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
> ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
> overclock.
>
> I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
> got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.

You can't beat this one. It's quieter and does a better job than the other
more expensive all aluminum suggestions. Top rated on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-602&depa=0

ancra
June 10th 04, 09:16 PM
On 9 Jun 2004 18:34:59 -0700, (Paul) wrote:

>Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
>ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
>overclock.
>
>I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
>got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.
>
>TIA,
>Paul

This is my favorite "cheap" one..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-104&depa=0

It's fairly similar to Wes suggestion, but has temperature control
(non adjustable) and a special inverted fan mounting, which makes it
rather silent, for coming with a non Zalman price tag. Comes with the
best paste there is, standard silicon.
Thing to note is that this one is NOT good for OC! This runs silent
instead of as cool as possible.

Wes suggestion looks really good too though, and is cheaper.

ancra

Doug
June 10th 04, 09:52 PM
Dynatron C41(DC1206BM-L/610-P-CU) is on the AMD list of approved coolers.
You can order it direct from Dynatron for $7 + $6 ground if you send an
email to:

"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> Any recommendations on cooling options for an Athlon XP 2400+? I
> ordered an OEM CPU by mistake. I typically buy retail because I don't
> overclock.
>
> I'm looking to get a good fan and heatsink and some thermal gel. I've
> got an ECS K7S5A motherboard.
>
> TIA,
> Paul

Wes Newell
June 11th 04, 08:12 AM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:52:06 +0000, Doug wrote:

> Dynatron C41(DC1206BM-L/610-P-CU) is on the AMD list of approved coolers.
> You can order it direct from Dynatron for $7 + $6 ground if you send an
> email to:

I wouldn't put one of these on my worst enemies 2400+. Yeah I would too.:-)
Sorry, but this thing is crap for XP's compared to similar priced models,