PDA

View Full Version : A64 laptop suggestions please


Bx.Cornwell
June 6th 04, 05:14 PM
anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
specs (including video chipset) / comments

thanks in advance,
Bx.C

K
June 6th 04, 10:09 PM
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:

> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
> specs (including video chipset) / comments
>

Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

K

Ben Pope
June 6th 04, 11:45 PM
K wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:
>
>> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
>> specs (including video chipset) / comments
>>
>
> Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.

Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Jason Cothran
June 7th 04, 12:26 AM
"Bx.Cornwell" > wrote in message
. ..
| anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model / basic
| specs (including video chipset) / comments
|
| thanks in advance,
| Bx.C
|
|

Best bang for the buck out there in A64 laptops right now is the eMachines
m6809. If bought from Best Buy, it is $1399 after rebate.

A64 3200+
512MB RAM
80GB 4200RPM HD (slow HD, but easy to change)
4x DVD+/-RW
15.4" WxGA widescreen displayed
*
AWESOME Radeon mobility 9600 graphics!!!!
*
I score consistent 1850+ on PCPitstop with this machine, and have scored
over 1900 with some minor overclocking. 3dMark2001 scores over 12000.

Battery life is only 2-2.5 hours, but it is intended as a desktop
replacement.

Also good is the m6805, which is identical except for A64 3000+, 60GBHD
(also 4200RPM, but some users report getting 5400RPM instead), and the lack
of a DVD burner (it has DVD-rom/CDRW combo drive). I chose the m6809 over
the m6805 because the price difference was only $150.

Bx.Cornwell
June 7th 04, 12:38 AM
"Ben Pope" > wrote in message
...
> K wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> >
> >> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
basic
> >> specs (including video chipset) / comments
> >>
> >
> > Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.
>
> Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
> alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.

centrino isn't amd64...

the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only option
for AMD64 notebooks / tablets

Randy Howard
June 7th 04, 10:42 AM
In article >,
says...
>
> "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> ...
> > K wrote:
> > > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> > >
> > >> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
> basic
> > >> specs (including video chipset) / comments
> > >>
> > >
> > > Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.
> >
> > Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
> > alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.
>
> centrino isn't amd64...
>
> the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only option
> for AMD64 notebooks / tablets

HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
http://www.hpshopping.com

Look for "zv5000z" series.

Jason Cothran
June 7th 04, 04:31 PM
"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
.. .

|
| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
| http://www.hpshopping.com
|
| Look for "zv5000z" series.
|

I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my m6809
and was more expensive configured similarly.

Ben Pope
June 7th 04, 08:24 PM
Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> ...
>> K wrote:
>>> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:
>>>
>>>> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
>>>> basic specs (including video chipset) / comments
>>>>
>>>
>>> Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.
>>
>> Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
>> alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.
>
> centrino isn't amd64...

Well done.

I was referring to the general build quality - clearly Centrino is not
AMD64.

> the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only option
> for AMD64 notebooks / tablets


The Ferrari one is pure tart!

:-p

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Bx.Cornwell
June 8th 04, 12:33 AM
"Ben Pope" > wrote in message
...
> Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> > "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> K wrote:
> >>> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:14:25 -0500, Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> anyone have any suggestions on a good AMD64 laptop? brand / model /
> >>>> basic specs (including video chipset) / comments
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> Acer do some nice ones, have a look on their site.
> >>
> >> Agreed. A mate has just bought a 2GHz Centrino from then and it looks
> >> alright... compared to some other brands it was a good price too.
> >
> > centrino isn't amd64...
>
> Well done.
>
> I was referring to the general build quality - clearly Centrino is not
> AMD64.
>
> > the Ferarri 3200 looks nice.... but i don't want that to be my only
option
> > for AMD64 notebooks / tablets
>
> The Ferrari one is pure tart!
>
> :-p

i don't really care for the color to be Ferarri Red... now a silver would be
good... but then again, everyone's doing a little silver these days...
perhaps the route of the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP line? a cobalt blue
(metallic) would be nice... or heck.. give me a metallic green even...

....guess i'll keep lookin around...

>
> Ben

just a curious sidenote... are you the same person from
alt.comp.periphs.keyboards ?

Bx.Cornwell
June 8th 04, 12:35 AM
"Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "Randy Howard" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> |
> | HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
> | http://www.hpshopping.com
> |
> | Look for "zv5000z" series.
> |
>
> I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
m6809
> and was more expensive configured similarly.
>
>

yah, i believe i saw your e-machine at BestBuy the other day.... i didn't
look too closely at the amd64 laptops when i went over there though.... just
noticed that out of the entire back wall that they had filled end to end
with laptops, i only saw two Athlon64's....

i guess i have a few options right now...

Ben Pope
June 8th 04, 01:07 AM
Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> ...
>> The Ferrari one is pure tart!
>>
>> :-p
>
> i don't really care for the color to be Ferarri Red... now a silver would
> be good... but then again, everyone's doing a little silver these days...
> perhaps the route of the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP line? a cobalt blue
> (metallic) would be nice... or heck.. give me a metallic green even...
>
> ...guess i'll keep lookin around...

Pearlescent came to mind, but I'm not sure if it would work. Now that would
be tart. You could have chrome bits too :-)

>> Ben
>
> just a curious sidenote... are you the same person from
> alt.comp.periphs.keyboards ?

Yep.

You should have noticed from the sig :-)

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Jason Cothran
June 8th 04, 01:20 AM
"Bx.Cornwell" > wrote in message
. ..
|
| "Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
| . ..
| >
| > "Randy Howard" > wrote in message
| > .. .
| >
| > |
| > | HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
| > | http://www.hpshopping.com
| > |
| > | Look for "zv5000z" series.
| > |
| >
| > I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
| m6809
| > and was more expensive configured similarly.
| >
| >
|
| yah, i believe i saw your e-machine at BestBuy the other day.... i didn't
| look too closely at the amd64 laptops when i went over there though....
just
| noticed that out of the entire back wall that they had filled end to end
| with laptops, i only saw two Athlon64's....
|
| i guess i have a few options right now...
|
|

I think they only carry a total of three. The m6809, m6805, and a Compaq
very very similar to the zv5000z.

NoneOfBusiness
June 8th 04, 02:51 AM
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:31:08 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
> wrote:

>
>"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
.. .
>
>|
>| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
>| http://www.hpshopping.com
>|
>| Look for "zv5000z" series.
>|
>
>I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my m6809
>and was more expensive configured similarly.
>
What about the Compaq Presario R3000Z series? They are similarly
priced and in some cases less than the e-machines. The big difference
i see between them is that the Compaq has bluetooth and 64 meg
Geforece 4 togo Video. They also have a really nice 15 widescreen
display that looks very sharp, and you can get the 12 volt battery
that will give you extended battery life. This is the one i am leaning
towards though the e-machines is nice too

Jason Cothran
June 8th 04, 03:19 AM
"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
...
| On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:31:08 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
| > wrote:
|
| >
| >"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >
| >|
| >| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
| >| http://www.hpshopping.com
| >|
| >| Look for "zv5000z" series.
| >|
| >
| >I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
m6809
| >and was more expensive configured similarly.
| >
| What about the Compaq Presario R3000Z series? They are similarly
| priced and in some cases less than the e-machines. The big difference
| i see between them is that the Compaq has bluetooth and 64 meg
| Geforece 4 togo Video. They also have a really nice 15 widescreen
| display that looks very sharp, and you can get the 12 volt battery
| that will give you extended battery life. This is the one i am leaning
| towards though the e-machines is nice too

Exactly why I didn't buy one. The GeForce MX 440 video is horrible (let
alone the 420) in comparison to the Radeon 9600. Of course if you will be
using no 3d apps, that won't be an issue. The eMachines also has the 15.4
inch widescreen. Configured the same (except of course the video), the
compaq is $120 cheaper before rebates. The Radeon 9600 was well worth that
$120 to me, but of course I put the 3d accelerator to use. After rebate
(m6809 purchased from Best Buy), the eMachines is $100 less, so I actually
got better video for less (after 6-8 weeks lol).

Bx.Cornwell
June 8th 04, 05:57 AM
"Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "Bx.Cornwell" > wrote in message
> . ..
> |
> | "Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
> | . ..
> | >
> | > "Randy Howard" > wrote in message
> | > .. .
> | >
> | > |
> | > | HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
> | > | http://www.hpshopping.com
> | > |
> | > | Look for "zv5000z" series.
> | > |
> | >
> | > I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
> | m6809
> | > and was more expensive configured similarly.
> | >
> | >
> |
> | yah, i believe i saw your e-machine at BestBuy the other day.... i
didn't
> | look too closely at the amd64 laptops when i went over there though....
> just
> | noticed that out of the entire back wall that they had filled end to end
> | with laptops, i only saw two Athlon64's....
> |
> | i guess i have a few options right now...
> |
> |
>
> I think they only carry a total of three. The m6809, m6805, and a Compaq
> very very similar to the zv5000z.
>
>

when i used the "Find by specs" feature at HP's website, and asked for
brand="Compaq" and processor="Athlon64".... they came up with 5 Compaqs, and
all 5 had Intel processors.... so... i was slightly under the impression
that Compaq had no Athlon64 notebooks (yet).... guess i could look again...
(then again, i like the look of the HP's over the Compaqs anyway... haven't
yet decided where i rate the look of the emachines yet... gonna have to
visit BestBuy again)

Bx.Cornwell
June 8th 04, 06:01 AM
"Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
.. .
>
> "NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
> ...
> | On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:31:08 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
> | > wrote:
> |
> | >
> | >"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
> | .. .
> | >
> | >|
> | >| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
> | >| http://www.hpshopping.com
> | >|
> | >| Look for "zv5000z" series.
> | >|
> | >
> | >I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
> m6809
> | >and was more expensive configured similarly.
> | >
> | What about the Compaq Presario R3000Z series? They are similarly
> | priced and in some cases less than the e-machines. The big difference
> | i see between them is that the Compaq has bluetooth and 64 meg
> | Geforece 4 togo Video. They also have a really nice 15 widescreen
> | display that looks very sharp, and you can get the 12 volt battery
> | that will give you extended battery life. This is the one i am leaning
> | towards though the e-machines is nice too
>
> Exactly why I didn't buy one. The GeForce MX 440 video is horrible (let
> alone the 420) in comparison to the Radeon 9600. Of course if you will be
> using no 3d apps, that won't be an issue. The eMachines also has the 15.4
> inch widescreen. Configured the same (except of course the video), the
> compaq is $120 cheaper before rebates. The Radeon 9600 was well worth that
> $120 to me, but of course I put the 3d accelerator to use. After rebate
> (m6809 purchased from Best Buy), the eMachines is $100 less, so I actually
> got better video for less (after 6-8 weeks lol).
>
>

i find myself asking... why have i been wanting an nVidia chip over an ATI
chip?... and the only answer i can come up with, is... loyalty? i'm still
running a Diamond Viper V550 AGP videocard (RIVA TNT) in my home computer (a
monster dino)....

perhaps i should try the Radeon chips once?.... the e-Machine does sound
good... and in-expensive..... maybe i'll look at their website in a day or
two, to see how much of the machine is customizable...

Bx.Cornwell
June 8th 04, 06:06 AM
"Ben Pope" > wrote in message
...
> Bx.Cornwell wrote:
> > "Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> The Ferrari one is pure tart!
> >>
> >> :-p
> >
> > i don't really care for the color to be Ferarri Red... now a silver
would
> > be good... but then again, everyone's doing a little silver these
days...
> > perhaps the route of the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP line? a cobalt blue
> > (metallic) would be nice... or heck.. give me a metallic green even...
> >
> > ...guess i'll keep lookin around...
>
> Pearlescent came to mind, but I'm not sure if it would work. Now that
would
> be tart. You could have chrome bits too :-)

pearl.... hmmm..... nah....
i bet, though, that they start coming out with "customizable notebook
covers", like Nokia phone covers.... choose your own look... a different
look everyday.... it'd be a good idea, considering how often the covers get
scratched up anyway... i saw Logitech (i think) had a mouse that had
swappable colored covers


> >> Ben
> >
> > just a curious sidenote... are you the same person from
> > alt.comp.periphs.keyboards ?
>
> Yep.
>
> You should have noticed from the sig :-)
>
> Ben
> --
> A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
> Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
> I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
>
>

well.. the sig looks slightly familiar... but more familiar is that last
name... how many "Pope"s do i know? hehe

Jason Cothran
June 8th 04, 01:24 PM
"Bx.Cornwell" > wrote in message
. ..
|
| i find myself asking... why have i been wanting an nVidia chip over an ATI
| chip?... and the only answer i can come up with, is... loyalty? i'm still
| running a Diamond Viper V550 AGP videocard (RIVA TNT) in my home computer
(a
| monster dino)....
|
| perhaps i should try the Radeon chips once?.... the e-Machine does sound
| good... and in-expensive..... maybe i'll look at their website in a day or
| two, to see how much of the machine is customizable...
|

Funny you should say that. I shared your feelings of "brand loyalty". This
is my first ATI GPU. My three desktops have (oddly enough) a v550, a
GeForce2 GTS, and a GeForce4 Ti4600. Unfortunately, nVidia has fallen
behind, as much as I hate to say it. I can tell you, I am very impressed
with this Radeon mobility 9600, of course that's just my opinion.

As far as seeing how customizable the emachine lappies are, I can save you a
trip. They can't be customized straight from them. In fact, you can't even
buy straight from them. Using the buy link on their site directs you to
either J&R Music World or Best Buy. I would guess they don't customize
because the machines are actually fully built by Arima.

Randy Howard
June 8th 04, 04:16 PM
In article >,
says...
> As far as seeing how customizable the emachine lappies are, I can save you a
> trip. They can't be customized straight from them. In fact, you can't even
> buy straight from them. Using the buy link on their site directs you to
> either J&R Music World or Best Buy. I would guess they don't customize
> because the machines are actually fully built by Arima.

Exactly. That's why I opted for the HP yesterday. I finally made up my
mind and ordered one configured like I wanted it. Sorry, but The e-machines
boxes strike me as pure mass-market cheap, whereas the HP is physically
more appealing, seems to be better constructed, has a much stronger name
and support network behind it, etc. Yes, the video is not state-of-the-art,
but I'm buying a notebook to do work on, not play video games. I need the 64-
bit CPU capability, I'm not just buying it for the "cool factor" or as a
"desktop replacement" system.

Jason Cothran
June 8th 04, 09:13 PM
"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
.. .
| In article >,

| says...
| > As far as seeing how customizable the emachine lappies are, I can save
you a
| > trip. They can't be customized straight from them. In fact, you can't
even
| > buy straight from them. Using the buy link on their site directs you to
| > either J&R Music World or Best Buy. I would guess they don't customize
| > because the machines are actually fully built by Arima.
|
| Exactly. That's why I opted for the HP yesterday. I finally made up my
| mind and ordered one configured like I wanted it. Sorry, but The
e-machines
| boxes strike me as pure mass-market cheap, whereas the HP is physically
| more appealing, seems to be better constructed, has a much stronger name
| and support network behind it, etc. Yes, the video is not
state-of-the-art,
| but I'm buying a notebook to do work on, not play video games. I need the
64-
| bit CPU capability, I'm not just buying it for the "cool factor" or as a
| "desktop replacement" system.

Then you definately made a good choice. The sole deciding factor for me was
the video card. All the benchmarks I looked at rated the HP slightyly higher
on everything except 3D performance, which was not even close. I wanted the
HP, but needed much more than the antiquated 420/440MX could offer.

NoneOfBusiness
June 10th 04, 03:26 AM
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:19:26 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
> wrote:

>
>"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
...
>| On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:31:08 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
>| > wrote:
>|
>| >
>| >"Randy Howard" > wrote in message
>| .. .
>| >
>| >|
>| >| HP has a nice one available with a very high res screen option on
>| >| http://www.hpshopping.com
>| >|
>| >| Look for "zv5000z" series.
>| >|
>| >
>| >I almost bought that one, but it has a far inferior video card than my
>m6809
>| >and was more expensive configured similarly.
>| >
>| What about the Compaq Presario R3000Z series? They are similarly
>| priced and in some cases less than the e-machines. The big difference
>| i see between them is that the Compaq has bluetooth and 64 meg
>| Geforece 4 togo Video. They also have a really nice 15 widescreen
>| display that looks very sharp, and you can get the 12 volt battery
>| that will give you extended battery life. This is the one i am leaning
>| towards though the e-machines is nice too
>
>Exactly why I didn't buy one. The GeForce MX 440 video is horrible (let
>alone the 420) in comparison to the Radeon 9600. Of course if you will be
>using no 3d apps, that won't be an issue. The eMachines also has the 15.4
>inch widescreen. Configured the same (except of course the video), the
>compaq is $120 cheaper before rebates. The Radeon 9600 was well worth that
>$120 to me, but of course I put the 3d accelerator to use. After rebate
>(m6809 purchased from Best Buy), the eMachines is $100 less, so I actually
>got better video for less (after 6-8 weeks lol).
>
I am not into the 3d so much in a laptop anyway, and for what i would
use it for the Gf 2go 440 would do fine. What i really liked about the
compaq was the look, the sharpness of the display, the keyboard feel,
and just the fact that is an all around solid laptop. This is the
first compaq i can honestly say i would not mind owning. This is
probably what i would buy, plus in my eyes e-machines still has that
stigmatism of, to put it bluntly, crap. I know they have really come
up in the world, but that is a hard thing to get past.

if i don't go this route, i will probably purchase a dell latitude
d600 series as it is a nice, light laptop. Doesn't have the power of
the 64bit athlon, but it is quick enough, nonetheless for what i want
one for.

Randy Howard
June 10th 04, 05:53 AM
In article >,
says...
> I am not into the 3d so much in a laptop anyway, and for what i would
> use it for the Gf 2go 440 would do fine. What i really liked about the
> compaq was the look, the sharpness of the display, the keyboard feel,
> and just the fact that is an all around solid laptop. This is the
> first compaq i can honestly say i would not mind owning.

I agree, Compaq has always made quality equipment. However, I think the
"Compaq" branded notebooks are short-lived, as the HP branded (often
with almost identical features, but slightly different chassis designs)
are the ones that will be around in the future. (I.e., when HP bought
out Compaq, many of the Compaq products "stayed", almost as if Compaq
bought HP, nevertheless, the HP branded products seem to have more of
a future). As such, the HP version of the 64-bit notebook might be
a better choice, but other than that it's probably a toss-up.

> in my eyes e-machines still has that stigmatism of, to put it bluntly,
> crap. I know they have really come up in the world, but that is a hard
> thing to get past.

Very true. Also, there is nothing in the current market dynamics to
indicate that E-Machines will even be alive 3 years from now, the
competitive economies of scale and pure volume/competition from IBM,
HP and Dell is crushing. 5-10 years ago, there were 15-20 PC manufacturers,
many of which made notebooks. Today there are very, very few and the
numbers are dwindling.

One thing I'd really like to see is a market spring up in notebook
motherboards and chassis like that seen with desktops and ATX form-factors.
It would be very, very nice if you could go down to Fry's (or you local
equivalent) and pick out a notebook case, display panel, drive, motherboard
and battery like you can with desktops for very low cost. The problem is,
building a strong, reliable notebook case is far more difficult than
conventional desktop chassis. Getting numerous vendors to agree on a
single size chassis is probably even harder.

Jason Cothran
June 10th 04, 01:36 PM
"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
...

| I am not into the 3d so much in a laptop anyway, and for what i would
| use it for the Gf 2go 440 would do fine. What i really liked about the
| compaq was the look, the sharpness of the display, the keyboard feel,
| and just the fact that is an all around solid laptop. This is the
| first compaq i can honestly say i would not mind owning. This is
| probably what i would buy, plus in my eyes e-machines still has that
| stigmatism of, to put it bluntly, crap. I know they have really come
| up in the world, but that is a hard thing to get past.

I guess that is the advatage I have in working on PCs every day insteading
of paying more for less just because "it's cooler looking". I look for
function, not form. However, if The Compaq line is what you are leaning
towards, I would highly recommend the HP version instead. The Compaq is just
as "plasticky" as the eMachines. The HP's chasis seems a bit more robust.

And for the record, I have also worked on far more HP/Compaq PCs than
eMachines, but I presume that is because the early eMachines were pretty
much disposable <wink>.

Developer
June 12th 04, 06:18 AM
FYI

There are far fewer laptop manufactures than laptop brands. Check out the
list at:
http://www.amdboard.com/athlon_64_notebook.html

IMHO
All things considered (i.e. most laptops are really manufactured by a few
Taiwanese manufactures and rebranded) I decided to ignore the brand
entirely and bought a feature rich EMachines M6809 at a good price. To
cover any future problems (inevitable with any laptop) I purchased Best
Buys optional warranty.
So far so good. I am successfully using both 32 bit (Win XP and Win 2000),
as well as, 64 bit (Win XP 64 bit and Fedora Linux) OSes.

Good Luck with your decision

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:53:14 +0000, Randy Howard wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> I agree, Compaq has always made quality equipment. However, I think the
> "Compaq" branded notebooks are short-lived, as the HP branded (often
> with almost identical features, but slightly different chassis designs)
> are the ones that will be around in the future. (I.e., when HP bought
> out Compaq, many of the Compaq products "stayed", almost as if Compaq
> bought HP, nevertheless, the HP branded products seem to have more of
> a future). As such, the HP version of the 64-bit notebook might be
> a better choice, but other than that it's probably a toss-up.
>
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> Very true. Also, there is nothing in the current market dynamics to
> indicate that E-Machines will even be alive 3 years from now, the
> competitive economies of scale and pure volume/competition from IBM,
> HP and Dell is crushing. 5-10 years ago, there were 15-20 PC manufacturers,
> many of which made notebooks. Today there are very, very few and the
> numbers are dwindling.
>
> One thing I'd really like to see is a market spring up in notebook
> motherboards and chassis like that seen with desktops and ATX form-factors.
> It would be very, very nice if you could go down to Fry's (or you local
> equivalent) and pick out a notebook case, display panel, drive, motherboard
> and battery like you can with desktops for very low cost. The problem is,
> building a strong, reliable notebook case is far more difficult than
> conventional desktop chassis. Getting numerous vendors to agree on a
> single size chassis is probably even harder.

Jason Cothran
June 12th 04, 06:59 AM
"Developer" > wrote in message
...
| FYI
|
| There are far fewer laptop manufactures than laptop brands. Check out the
| list at:
| http://www.amdboard.com/athlon_64_notebook.html
|
| IMHO
| All things considered (i.e. most laptops are really manufactured by a few
| Taiwanese manufactures and rebranded) I decided to ignore the brand
| entirely and bought a feature rich EMachines M6809 at a good price. To
| cover any future problems (inevitable with any laptop) I purchased Best
| Buys optional warranty.
| So far so good. I am successfully using both 32 bit (Win XP and Win 2000),
| as well as, 64 bit (Win XP 64 bit and Fedora Linux) OSes.
|

Have you found any Xp 64-bit or Fedora drivers for the wireless card?

NoneOfBusiness
June 13th 04, 03:59 PM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:36:52 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
> wrote:

>
>"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
...
>
>| I am not into the 3d so much in a laptop anyway, and for what i would
>| use it for the Gf 2go 440 would do fine. What i really liked about the
>| compaq was the look, the sharpness of the display, the keyboard feel,
>| and just the fact that is an all around solid laptop. This is the
>| first compaq i can honestly say i would not mind owning. This is
>| probably what i would buy, plus in my eyes e-machines still has that
>| stigmatism of, to put it bluntly, crap. I know they have really come
>| up in the world, but that is a hard thing to get past.
>
>I guess that is the advatage I have in working on PCs every day insteading
>of paying more for less just because "it's cooler looking". I look for
>function, not form. However, if The Compaq line is what you are leaning
>towards, I would highly recommend the HP version instead. The Compaq is just
>as "plasticky" as the eMachines. The HP's chasis seems a bit more robust.
>
>And for the record, I have also worked on far more HP/Compaq PCs than
>eMachines, but I presume that is because the early eMachines were pretty
>much disposable <wink>.
>


I work with them everyday as well (service tech and user), and i have
worked on compaq, hp, dell, gateway, and e-machines. In saying that,
if Dell came out with an Athlon 64 laptop, even if it was higher
priced, then that is where i would go. I know what i get with
HP/Compaq and i have concerns there as well, but for long term use, i
would still pick them over e-machines.

Jason Cothran
June 13th 04, 09:43 PM
"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
...
| On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:36:52 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
| > wrote:
|
| >
| >"NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
| ...
| >
| >| I am not into the 3d so much in a laptop anyway, and for what i would
| >| use it for the Gf 2go 440 would do fine. What i really liked about the
| >| compaq was the look, the sharpness of the display, the keyboard feel,
| >| and just the fact that is an all around solid laptop. This is the
| >| first compaq i can honestly say i would not mind owning. This is
| >| probably what i would buy, plus in my eyes e-machines still has that
| >| stigmatism of, to put it bluntly, crap. I know they have really come
| >| up in the world, but that is a hard thing to get past.
| >
| >I guess that is the advatage I have in working on PCs every day
insteading
| >of paying more for less just because "it's cooler looking". I look for
| >function, not form. However, if The Compaq line is what you are leaning
| >towards, I would highly recommend the HP version instead. The Compaq is
just
| >as "plasticky" as the eMachines. The HP's chasis seems a bit more robust.
| >
| >And for the record, I have also worked on far more HP/Compaq PCs than
| >eMachines, but I presume that is because the early eMachines were pretty
| >much disposable <wink>.
| >
|
|
| I work with them everyday as well (service tech and user), and i have
| worked on compaq, hp, dell, gateway, and e-machines. In saying that,
| if Dell came out with an Athlon 64 laptop, even if it was higher
| priced, then that is where i would go. I know what i get with
| HP/Compaq and i have concerns there as well, but for long term use, i
| would still pick them over e-machines.

If eMachines made it, I couldn't agree more. However, it just has an
eMachine sticker on an Arima. I would likely choose a Dell also over a
eMachines (or Arima), but would not put them near the top of my list due to
the ones I have had to fix.

Developer
June 14th 04, 08:29 AM
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:43:45 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:

>
> "NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
> ...
>> [quoted text muted]
> insteading
>> [quoted text muted]
> just
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> If eMachines made it, I couldn't agree more. However, it just has an
> eMachine sticker on an Arima. I would likely choose a Dell also over a
> eMachines (or Arima), but would not put them near the top of my list due to
> the ones I have had to fix.

As a professional developer for International software I have owned and
tested just about every brand. I even went to Taiwan and Japan to do
extensive on site testing on laptops and desktops (there are some weird
desktops in Japan). Personally I prefer high end IBM and Sony laptops
since they are both major technology innovators and tend to push the
envelope but neither currently makes 64 bit laptops.
Neither Dell nor Compaq have ever impressed me with any cutting edge
hardware worthy of a premium. (I think Dell just rebrands) However, they
do both have good reputations for service in the U.S. and if I was looking
to recommend a workhorse laptop for the technically clueless they would be
near the top of my list.

In short if you need hand holding go with the Compaq/HP. If you can handle
most software problems yourself save your money and go with the
Arima/eMachines but be prepared to surf the newsgroups and spend "quality
time" at www.planetamd64.com etc (i.e. don't expect any useful help from
eMachines).

Developer

Developer
June 14th 04, 08:53 AM
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:59:35 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:

>
> "Developer" > wrote in message
> ...
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> Have you found any Xp 64-bit or Fedora drivers for the wireless card?

Short answer NO
I don't have a wireless router anyway although I have used it while
travelling using one of the 32 bit OSes.

For Fedora Linux try these sites:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/e/sedlabs1/m6807.html
claims to have a long and complicated method of getting the wireless
working on an M6807 using a customized 2.6.4 or 2.6.5rc2 kernel update to
Fedora Core 1.

http://www.ckloiber.com4
Is an "unoffical" site run by a Red Hat employee who uses Fedora Core 2
on an eMachines M680x. He posts his custom kernels and installation
instructions but has not been able to get the builtin BroadCom card to
work. He suggests using a Linux compatible Wireless-B PCMCIA card instead.

Developer

NoneOfBusiness
June 16th 04, 12:47 AM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:29:39 GMT, Developer > wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:43:45 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
>
>>
>> "NoneOfBusiness" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> [quoted text muted]
>> insteading
>>> [quoted text muted]
>> just
>>> [quoted text muted]
>>
>> If eMachines made it, I couldn't agree more. However, it just has an
>> eMachine sticker on an Arima. I would likely choose a Dell also over a
>> eMachines (or Arima), but would not put them near the top of my list due to
>> the ones I have had to fix.
>
>As a professional developer for International software I have owned and
>tested just about every brand. I even went to Taiwan and Japan to do
>extensive on site testing on laptops and desktops (there are some weird
>desktops in Japan). Personally I prefer high end IBM and Sony laptops
>since they are both major technology innovators and tend to push the
>envelope but neither currently makes 64 bit laptops.
>Neither Dell nor Compaq have ever impressed me with any cutting edge
>hardware worthy of a premium. (I think Dell just rebrands) However, they
>do both have good reputations for service in the U.S. and if I was looking
>to recommend a workhorse laptop for the technically clueless they would be
>near the top of my list.
>
>In short if you need hand holding go with the Compaq/HP. If you can handle
>most software problems yourself save your money and go with the
>Arima/eMachines but be prepared to surf the newsgroups and spend "quality
>time" at www.planetamd64.com etc (i.e. don't expect any useful help from
>eMachines).
>
>Developer
>
>
>

Dell's business model does not allow for cutting edge equipment. They
usually tend to wait a while before introducing technology. This
allows them to keeps prices reasonable for their customers.

TCMa
June 18th 04, 06:08 PM
Which Fedora Linux do you use?
I installed Fedora Core 2 Linux on EMachines M6807 successfully.
However, I can log in only with the fail safe session/terminal.
All the linux directories and commands are there.
When I log in with the default GUI session, after typing in the userid
and password and press <return> key, the computer hangs.
What is wrong?

Developer > wrote in message >...
>
> IMHO
> All things considered (i.e. most laptops are really manufactured by a few
> Taiwanese manufactures and rebranded) I decided to ignore the brand
> entirely and bought a feature rich EMachines M6809 at a good price. To
> cover any future problems (inevitable with any laptop) I purchased Best
> Buys optional warranty.
> So far so good. I am successfully using both 32 bit (Win XP and Win 2000),
> as well as, 64 bit (Win XP 64 bit and Fedora Linux) OSes.
>

Wes Newell
June 18th 04, 07:35 PM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:08:02 -0700, TCMa wrote:

> Which Fedora Linux do you use?
> I installed Fedora Core 2 Linux on EMachines M6807 successfully.
> However, I can log in only with the fail safe session/terminal.
> All the linux directories and commands are there.
> When I log in with the default GUI session, after typing in the userid
> and password and press <return> key, the computer hangs.
> What is wrong?
>
Sounds like your X video driver is at fault. I'm not familiar with RH
Fedora but it should have something like the below list to configure the
video system and test it.

SEE ALSO
X(7x), Xserver(1), xdm(1), xinit(1), XF86Config(5x), xf86config(1),
xf86cfg(1), xvidtune(1), apm(4x), ati(4x), chips(4x), cirrus(4x),
cyrix(4x), fbdev(4x), glide(4x), glint(4x), i128(4x), i740(4x),
i810(4x), imstt(4x), mga(4x), neomagic(4x), nsc(4x), nv(4x), r128(4x),
rendition(4x), s3virge(4x), siliconmotion(4x), sis(4x), sunbw2(4x),
suncg14(4x), suncg3(4x), suncg6(4x), sunffb(4x), sunleo(4x),
suntcx(4x), tdfx(4x), tga(4x), trident(4x), tseng(4x), v4l(4x),
vesa(4x), vga(4x), vmware(4x),
README <http://www.xfree86.org/current/README.html>,
RELNOTES <http://www.xfree86.org/current/RELNOTES.html>,
README.mouse <http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse.html>,
README.DRI <http://www.xfree86.org/current/DRI.html>,
Status <http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status.html>,
Install <http://www.xfree86.org/current/Install.html>.


--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Developer
June 19th 04, 12:27 AM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:08:02 -0700, TCMa wrote:

> Which Fedora Linux do you use?
> I installed Fedora Core 2 Linux on EMachines M6807 successfully.
> However, I can log in only with the fail safe session/terminal.
> All the linux directories and commands are there.
> When I log in with the default GUI session, after typing in the userid
> and password and press <return> key, the computer hangs.
> What is wrong?
>

With apologies to Linux haters ....

Short answer:
boot: linux noapic pci=noacpi,usepirqmask

Longer Answer:

---------------------------
For Fedora Core 2 check out www.ckloiber.com. This is an "unofficial"
support site for eMachines M680x users run by a Red Hat employee. He
posts instructions and kernel updates and xorg.conf configuration file to
run the X.org X server in 1280x800.

--------------------------
I am using Fedora Core 1 which uses the X server from XFree86.org Fedora
Core 2 uses the X server from X.org. I had to update
the X server with the latest from XFree86
http://ftp/xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.40/binaries/Linux-amd64-glibc22/
(being careful to backup the old X especially the xinitrc file in
/etc/X11/xinit which nees to be restored to retain the RedHat menus).


In either case you need to set the right kernel switches in grub.conf.
(especially: noapic pci=noacpi)

Developer

> Developer > wrote in message
> >...
>> [quoted text muted]

Developer
June 19th 04, 01:24 AM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:52 +0000, Developer wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:59:35 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
>
>> [quoted text muted]
>
> Short answer NO
> I don't have a wireless router anyway although I have used it while
> travelling using one of the 32 bit OSes.
>

A brief update. I talked with Microsoft and AMD representatives earlier
this week at a 64 bit conference. They were both aware of the slow
migration of WiFi drivers. AMD in particular appears to be leading the
effort to get the drivers ported. I was less than impressed with
Microsofts support of the x86-64 platform. They seem more wedded to the
Intel Itanium architecture on the Server and dubious of 64 bit on the
desktop.

Developer



> For Fedora Linux try these sites:
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/e/sedlabs1/m6807.html
> claims to have a long and complicated method of getting the wireless
> working on an M6807 using a customized 2.6.4 or 2.6.5rc2 kernel update to
> Fedora Core 1.
>
> http://www.ckloiber.com
> Is an "unoffical" site run by a Red Hat employee who uses Fedora Core 2
> on an eMachines M680x. He posts his custom kernels and installation
> instructions but has not been able to get the builtin BroadCom card to
> work. He suggests using a Linux compatible Wireless-B PCMCIA card instead.
>
> Developer

Jason Cothran
June 19th 04, 04:04 AM
"Developer" > wrote in message
...
| On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:52 +0000, Developer wrote:
|
| > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:59:35 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
| >
| >> [quoted text muted]
| >
| > Short answer NO
| > I don't have a wireless router anyway although I have used it while
| > travelling using one of the 32 bit OSes.
| >
|
| A brief update. I talked with Microsoft and AMD representatives earlier
| this week at a 64 bit conference. They were both aware of the slow
| migration of WiFi drivers. AMD in particular appears to be leading the
| effort to get the drivers ported. I was less than impressed with
| Microsofts support of the x86-64 platform. They seem more wedded to the
| Intel Itanium architecture on the Server and dubious of 64 bit on the
| desktop.
|
I recently read an article (can't remember where ...techrepublic???) that
said MS had pretty much halted x86-64 development to concentrate fully on
getting SP2 of XP out. I am sure they are still working on it some, but the
article led one to believe they had shifted the majority of the focus from
it.

Bx.Cornwell
June 19th 04, 02:50 PM
"Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Developer" > wrote in message
> ...
> | On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:52 +0000, Developer wrote:
> |
> | > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:59:35 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
> | >
> | >> [quoted text muted]
> | >
> | > Short answer NO
> | > I don't have a wireless router anyway although I have used it while
> | > travelling using one of the 32 bit OSes.
> | >
> |
> | A brief update. I talked with Microsoft and AMD representatives earlier
> | this week at a 64 bit conference. They were both aware of the slow
> | migration of WiFi drivers. AMD in particular appears to be leading the
> | effort to get the drivers ported. I was less than impressed with
> | Microsofts support of the x86-64 platform. They seem more wedded to the
> | Intel Itanium architecture on the Server and dubious of 64 bit on the
> | desktop.
> |
> I recently read an article (can't remember where ...techrepublic???) that
> said MS had pretty much halted x86-64 development to concentrate fully on
> getting SP2 of XP out. I am sure they are still working on it some, but
the
> article led one to believe they had shifted the majority of the focus from
> it.
>
>

strange... wasn't it MS that told Intel that they needed to put the x86-64
instruction set into their IA-64 processors? i thought i heard something to
that effect a while back...

Jason Cothran
June 19th 04, 04:04 PM
"Bx.Cornwell" > wrote in message
...
|
| "Jason Cothran" > wrote in message
| ...
| >
| > "Developer" > wrote in message
| > ...
| > | On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:53:52 +0000, Developer wrote:
| > |
| > | > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:59:35 -0400, Jason Cothran wrote:
| > | >
| > | >> [quoted text muted]
| > | >
| > | > Short answer NO
| > | > I don't have a wireless router anyway although I have used it while
| > | > travelling using one of the 32 bit OSes.
| > | >
| > |
| > | A brief update. I talked with Microsoft and AMD representatives
earlier
| > | this week at a 64 bit conference. They were both aware of the slow
| > | migration of WiFi drivers. AMD in particular appears to be leading the
| > | effort to get the drivers ported. I was less than impressed with
| > | Microsofts support of the x86-64 platform. They seem more wedded to
the
| > | Intel Itanium architecture on the Server and dubious of 64 bit on the
| > | desktop.
| > |
| > I recently read an article (can't remember where ...techrepublic???)
that
| > said MS had pretty much halted x86-64 development to concentrate fully
on
| > getting SP2 of XP out. I am sure they are still working on it some, but
| the
| > article led one to believe they had shifted the majority of the focus
from
| > it.
| >
| >
|
| strange... wasn't it MS that told Intel that they needed to put the x86-64
| instruction set into their IA-64 processors? i thought i heard something
to
| that effect a while back...
|

I'm not sure, but it sounds plausible. It would really save everyone a lot
of heartache.

TCMa
June 26th 04, 06:59 AM
The method in www.ckloiber.com requires an USB keyboard which I don't
have.
Is there a method which do not use an USB keyboard to install Fedora
Core 2 Linux on EMachines M6807?

Developer > wrote in message >...
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:08:02 -0700, TCMa wrote:
>
> > Which Fedora Linux do you use?
> > I installed Fedora Core 2 Linux on EMachines M6807 successfully.
> > However, I can log in only with the fail safe session/terminal.
> > All the linux directories and commands are there.
> > When I log in with the default GUI session, after typing in the userid
> > and password and press <return> key, the computer hangs.
> > What is wrong?
> >
>
> With apologies to Linux haters ....
>
> Short answer:
> boot: linux noapic pci=noacpi,usepirqmask
>
> Longer Answer:
>
> ---------------------------
> For Fedora Core 2 check out www.ckloiber.com. This is an "unofficial"
> support site for eMachines M680x users run by a Red Hat employee. He
> posts instructions and kernel updates and xorg.conf configuration file to
> run the X.org X server in 1280x800.
>
> --------------------------
> I am using Fedora Core 1 which uses the X server from XFree86.org Fedora
> Core 2 uses the X server from X.org. I had to update
> the X server with the latest from XFree86
> http://ftp/xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.40/binaries/Linux-amd64-glibc22/
> (being careful to backup the old X especially the xinitrc file in
> /etc/X11/xinit which nees to be restored to retain the RedHat menus).
>
>
> In either case you need to set the right kernel switches in grub.conf.
> (especially: noapic pci=noacpi)
>
> Developer
>
> > Developer > wrote in message
> > >...
> >> [quoted text muted]