PDA

View Full Version : HLT instruction on Opterons?

Brian Hall
June 3rd 04, 04:38 PM
If the Linux kernel issues a HLT instruction to
an Opteron in a dual-CPU system while in an idle
loop, are there any power savings from this or is
it just ignored?

--
Brian Hall
Linux Consultant

Ben Pope
June 4th 04, 01:02 AM
Brian Hall wrote:
> If the Linux kernel issues a HLT instruction to
> an Opteron in a dual-CPU system while in an idle
> loop, are there any power savings from this or is
> it just ignored?

I'm not sure of it's relevance, but my nForce2 chipset on an Athlon XP
effectively does that itself.

You could check dmesg, there's a check that displays it's output when you
boot, but then, who knows how accurate "OK" is :-p

Ben