PDA

View Full Version : Write AMD and tell them NO to dropping the 754 CPU's


Wayne @ W.
May 22nd 04, 06:43 AM
I just purchased mine 3 weeks ago, and it just became available 4 weeks ago
(Chaintech VNF3-250). I don't want to see my investment go the way of the
dinosaur in less than a year?


thank you,

Wayne

Ben Pope
May 22nd 04, 11:20 AM
Wayne @ W. wrote:
> I just purchased mine 3 weeks ago, and it just became available 4 weeks
> ago (Chaintech VNF3-250). I don't want to see my investment go the way of
> the dinosaur in less than a year?


Yeah, and write to all your other manufacturers and tell them that you want
them to stop advancing their products. That you really were happy with the
ISA bus, and the 386. That all this mindless progression is ridiculous.

Seriously, this is the computing industry. Stuff changes. Stuff becomes
obsolete. It's $100 for a new motherboard... get over it.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

phil
May 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
just b happy and enjoy your purchase, nothing ever lasts long in the
hardware world of the pc or anything else electronic for that matter.
just enjoy what u have now and upgrade next year to the latest
techo that will b out of date almost as soon as you have purchaesd it.
technology is a wonderfull thing.
don't u just love it.
come on come on get happy, 64bit is here to day.
now we will have to waite for the software to catch up.
ain't life just great.

Wayne @ W.
May 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the space
of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754 chip
for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.

Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really could say
May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last new cpu
to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?

I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some of
you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.


Wayne

"phil" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> just b happy and enjoy your purchase, nothing ever lasts long in the
> hardware world of the pc or anything else electronic for that matter.
> just enjoy what u have now and upgrade next year to the latest
> techo that will b out of date almost as soon as you have purchaesd it.
> technology is a wonderfull thing.
> don't u just love it.
> come on come on get happy, 64bit is here to day.
> now we will have to waite for the software to catch up.
> ain't life just great.
>
>

rstlne
May 22nd 04, 07:30 PM
"Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
...
> Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
> several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
> Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the
space
> of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754 chip
> for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.
>
> Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really could
say
> May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last new
cpu
> to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?
>
> I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some of
> you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
>
>
> Wayne


I doubt you'll get much support, there was MUCH talk about this ahead of
time and if you put just a bit of research into the kit BEFORE you bought it
then you would have know this. I say it's your fault to be honest but
"Shrug"

phil
May 22nd 04, 08:45 PM
>> you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.

sorry i went the way of a, gigabyte k8vt800 pro, rev1 board and chipset,
after reading reviews of
the different chipsets available for the amd chip, as i'm like a boy in a
sweetshop and could not wait
to get my hands on the latest technology but what you have to realize is
that the chipsets are a new technology
too and have to be improved upon and have to change when the cpu's up their
anti, yes u have to blame amd
i know, for changing their technology but it is only because they find a
newer/better and or faster/cheaper way
of doing things and the chipset makers have to keep up.

i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of reject
chip because of the faulty cache, had i
have read that before buying the chip i would have got the 3200+ chip
instead.

but from what you say in 6months or so time maybe, i will not be-able to
take my chip out and put it in another better
improved board as there will not be any made, then, to fit my chip. now
thats a pain as the memory i purchased will
not probably work in the new board either, so all in total thats about 400
for the 3 items down the drain.
it makes me wish i had a laptop.

sorry if you thought i was putting you down for moaning, i was not, i was
just not thinking before typing.
be happy anyway, life aswell as technology has a too short a lifespan.

Wayne @ W.
May 22nd 04, 09:36 PM
That's ok. :o)

I am happy with my new mobo & cpu btw.Also, I have the 3200+ 64 chip, but
like you, it won't fit in future motherboards... unless >>>>>>> remember the
Pentium 3 chips that were slot one? Well, when they came out with the Socket
370 design, some companies came out with an adaptor that let you use these
newer chips on the older motherboards.

Hopefully they will do the same for our CPU's. :o)


"phil" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>
> >> you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
>
> sorry i went the way of a, gigabyte k8vt800 pro, rev1 board and chipset,
> after reading reviews of
> the different chipsets available for the amd chip, as i'm like a boy in a
> sweetshop and could not wait
> to get my hands on the latest technology but what you have to realize is
> that the chipsets are a new technology
> too and have to be improved upon and have to change when the cpu's up
their
> anti, yes u have to blame amd
> i know, for changing their technology but it is only because they find a
> newer/better and or faster/cheaper way
> of doing things and the chipset makers have to keep up.
>
> i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of reject
> chip because of the faulty cache, had i
> have read that before buying the chip i would have got the 3200+ chip
> instead.
>
> but from what you say in 6months or so time maybe, i will not be-able to
> take my chip out and put it in another better
> improved board as there will not be any made, then, to fit my chip. now
> thats a pain as the memory i purchased will
> not probably work in the new board either, so all in total thats about
400
> for the 3 items down the drain.
> it makes me wish i had a laptop.
>
> sorry if you thought i was putting you down for moaning, i was not, i was
> just not thinking before typing.
> be happy anyway, life aswell as technology has a too short a lifespan.
>
>

Wayne @ W.
May 22nd 04, 09:37 PM
"rstlne" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
> ...
> > Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
> > several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
> > Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the
> space
> > of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754
chip
> > for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.
> >
> > Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really could
> say
> > May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last new
> cpu
> > to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?
> >
> > I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some
of
> > you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
> >
> >
> > Wayne
>
>
> I doubt you'll get much support, there was MUCH talk about this ahead of
> time and if you put just a bit of research into the kit BEFORE you bought
it
> then you would have know this. I say it's your fault to be honest but
> "Shrug"
>
>

I never heard a word about them dropping 754 support. On the contrary, what
I heard was they were dropping the 940 type chips in favor of 939's.

Have any salt to rub in? :o(

Jon Back
May 23rd 04, 12:59 PM
When I bought my 3000+ chip (and socket 754 MSI FIS2r board), I knew full
well what I was getting. The "half-cache" 3000+ had been tested by multiple
websites and they couldn't find any real difference other than price between
the 3000+ and the 3200+. As for the 754 socket, I guess this board will
never see another CPU than what it has. My normal motherboard life cycle is
15 months to 18 months anyway.

This case is now on its third set of internals. It will probably be its
last.
I spent just under $500 US for new motherboard, CPU, heatsink, DDR and got
the nicest & fastest computer I've ever owned.
I bet I can do it again one year from now.

JonB - TeAm Anandtech

"phil" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>
>
> i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of reject
> chip because of the faulty cache, had i
> have read that before buying the chip i would have got the 3200+ chip
> instead.
>

Cuzman
May 23rd 04, 01:46 PM
"phil" > wrote in message news:[email protected]

" i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of reject
chip because of the faulty cache, had i have read that before buying the
chip i would have got the 3200+ chip instead. "


Most components in any PC are *rejects* of some sort, having been passed
down from section to section after failing the higher-end testing. If
manufacturers had seperate production lines for each CPU speed, then they
would all cost the end-user much more because of the lower yield.

Maybe you should take your frustrations out on your Athlon 64 3000+ by
putting it in the microwave. Go on, teach those sneaky *******s at AMD a
good lesson.

Wayne @ W.
May 23rd 04, 02:39 PM
"Cuzman" > wrote in message
...
> "phil" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
>
> " i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of
reject
> chip because of the faulty cache, had i have read that before buying the
> chip i would have got the 3200+ chip instead. "
>
>
> Most components in any PC are *rejects* of some sort, having been passed
> down from section to section after failing the higher-end testing. If
> manufacturers had seperate production lines for each CPU speed, then they
> would all cost the end-user much more because of the lower yield.
>
> Maybe you should take your frustrations out on your Athlon 64 3000+ by
> putting it in the microwave. Go on, teach those sneaky *******s at AMD a
> good lesson.
>
>

Naw, it would be better to find the marketing guy at AMD and put him in the
microwave. That would really teach them a lesson. And of course take his
wallet before you stick him in there, and take all his cash and run his
credit card to the max. ROFLOL

j/k

K
May 23rd 04, 10:02 PM
On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:37:59 -0500, Wayne @ W. wrote:
>
> I never heard a word about them dropping 754 support. On the contrary, what
> I heard was they were dropping the 940 type chips in favor of 939's.
>


Socket 940 chips will continue to be with us in the form of Opterons. The
reason for Socket 939 is so they can make use of dual channel, non
registered memory. What that means is the only S940 chip that will be
dropped is the FX.

K

General Schvantzkoph
May 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:02:56 +0000, K wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:37:59 -0500, Wayne @ W. wrote:
>>
>> I never heard a word about them dropping 754 support. On the contrary, what
>> I heard was they were dropping the 940 type chips in favor of 939's.
>>
>
>
> Socket 940 chips will continue to be with us in the form of Opterons. The
> reason for Socket 939 is so they can make use of dual channel, non
> registered memory. What that means is the only S940 chip that will be
> dropped is the FX.
>
> K

The FX isn't going away because it was never anything more than a
rebranded Opteron 1xx. The only thing that is going away is the name not
the part.

phil
May 24th 04, 09:31 PM
"Jon Back" > wrote in message
...
> When I bought my 3000+ chip (and socket 754 MSI FIS2r board), I knew full
> well what I was getting. The "half-cache" 3000+ had been tested by
multiple
> websites and they couldn't find any real difference other than price
between
> the 3000+ and the 3200+. As for the 754 socket, I guess this board will
> never see another CPU than what it has. My normal motherboard life cycle
is
> 15 months to 18 months anyway.

> > " i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of
> reject
> > chip because of the faulty cache, had i have read that before buying the
> > chip i would have got the 3200+ chip instead. "


i did read-up on the 3000+ chip many many reviews but did not find out
about it being a reject chip with faulty cache, only half cache, on any
website reviews i looked at untill after i purchased the thing but i am
happy with it any how and with my temps as low (with cool and quiet )
as one of my old celerons i'm more than happy.

Kathy
May 25th 04, 11:54 PM
Could just use one of those nice space heater CPUs Intel has created with
Prescott instead :D - ok it's not a microwave, but it's hot enuf to do the
job LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing that Iwill dual AMD SFF come out & get the
testing done on it - somehow I doubt we'll see any dual Intels in that form
factor for quite some time ;)

WW

"Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
...
>
> "Cuzman" > wrote in message
> ...
> > "phil" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >
> > " i'm pi**ed off at buying a 3000+ chip to find out it is a sort of
> reject
> > chip because of the faulty cache, had i have read that before buying the
> > chip i would have got the 3200+ chip instead. "
> >
> >
> > Most components in any PC are *rejects* of some sort, having been passed
> > down from section to section after failing the higher-end testing. If
> > manufacturers had seperate production lines for each CPU speed, then
they
> > would all cost the end-user much more because of the lower yield.
> >
> > Maybe you should take your frustrations out on your Athlon 64 3000+ by
> > putting it in the microwave. Go on, teach those sneaky *******s at AMD
a
> > good lesson.
> >
> >
>
> Naw, it would be better to find the marketing guy at AMD and put him in
the
> microwave. That would really teach them a lesson. And of course take his
> wallet before you stick him in there, and take all his cash and run his
> credit card to the max. ROFLOL
>
> j/k
>
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.688 / Virus Database: 449 - Release Date: 18/05/2004

fleshonbone
May 29th 04, 12:02 AM
Wayne,

I believe you are leaving out a very big variable that disqualifies your
analogy below: that is simply price, or cost/performance ratio.

When you bought that 286, or that brand new Pentium 3 several (many) years
ago, how much did they cost in relation to what your 64bit 3200 cost and
inflation?

While you are correct in the fact that your Slot 1 CPU was supported by many
vendors for several years, you are also forgetting that comparitively, it
would be like paying about 3 times as much as you paid for your AMD chip.

There are tradeoffs invloved, and unfortunately this 2 month lifespan for
the 754 does seem a bit unorthodox, but in general, I would say the
cost/performance of the AMD chips (esp. the 64) are far above anything else
out there - and simply because you can't find a mobo for it doesn't mean you
can't run it the way it is for several years to come. When you want to
upgrade, do a bit more research next time ( and I'm just as guilty as you -
I recently bought a 64bit 3200+ as well :) and get something that may be
supported a bit longer - the great thing being that we aren't paying
$800-$1200 or more for a CPU - which I'm sure would be the case if Intel
still had it's way...

Cheers,

FleshonBone

"Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
...
> Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
> several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
> Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the
space
> of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754 chip
> for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.
>
> Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really could
say
> May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last new
cpu
> to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?
>
> I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some of
> you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
>
>
> Wayne

Wayne @ W.
May 29th 04, 01:37 AM
Could be. But then again, I could be correct... I am the King of Mars you
know. LOLOL



"fleshonbone" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Wayne,
>
> I believe you are leaving out a very big variable that disqualifies your
> analogy below: that is simply price, or cost/performance ratio.
>
> When you bought that 286, or that brand new Pentium 3 several (many) years
> ago, how much did they cost in relation to what your 64bit 3200 cost and
> inflation?
>
> While you are correct in the fact that your Slot 1 CPU was supported by
many
> vendors for several years, you are also forgetting that comparitively, it
> would be like paying about 3 times as much as you paid for your AMD chip.
>
> There are tradeoffs invloved, and unfortunately this 2 month lifespan for
> the 754 does seem a bit unorthodox, but in general, I would say the
> cost/performance of the AMD chips (esp. the 64) are far above anything
else
> out there - and simply because you can't find a mobo for it doesn't mean
you
> can't run it the way it is for several years to come. When you want to
> upgrade, do a bit more research next time ( and I'm just as guilty as
you -
> I recently bought a 64bit 3200+ as well :) and get something that may be
> supported a bit longer - the great thing being that we aren't paying
> $800-$1200 or more for a CPU - which I'm sure would be the case if Intel
> still had it's way...
>
> Cheers,
>
> FleshonBone
>
> "Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
> ...
> > Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
> > several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
> > Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the
> space
> > of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754
chip
> > for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.
> >
> > Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really could
> say
> > May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last new
> cpu
> > to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?
> >
> > I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some
of
> > you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
> >
> >
> > Wayne
>
>
>

fleshonbone
May 29th 04, 02:12 AM
Correct about what?

"Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
...
> Could be. But then again, I could be correct... I am the King of Mars you
> know. LOLOL
>
>
>
> "fleshonbone" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Wayne,
> >
> > I believe you are leaving out a very big variable that disqualifies your
> > analogy below: that is simply price, or cost/performance ratio.
> >
> > When you bought that 286, or that brand new Pentium 3 several (many)
years
> > ago, how much did they cost in relation to what your 64bit 3200 cost and
> > inflation?
> >
> > While you are correct in the fact that your Slot 1 CPU was supported by
> many
> > vendors for several years, you are also forgetting that comparitively,
it
> > would be like paying about 3 times as much as you paid for your AMD
chip.
> >
> > There are tradeoffs invloved, and unfortunately this 2 month lifespan
for
> > the 754 does seem a bit unorthodox, but in general, I would say the
> > cost/performance of the AMD chips (esp. the 64) are far above anything
> else
> > out there - and simply because you can't find a mobo for it doesn't mean
> you
> > can't run it the way it is for several years to come. When you want to
> > upgrade, do a bit more research next time ( and I'm just as guilty as
> you -
> > I recently bought a 64bit 3200+ as well :) and get something that may be
> > supported a bit longer - the great thing being that we aren't paying
> > $800-$1200 or more for a CPU - which I'm sure would be the case if Intel
> > still had it's way...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > FleshonBone
> >
> > "Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > Every motherboard I have purchased since the 286 has had a lifetime of
> > > several years. (before the 286 I just purchased ready mades)
> > > Even my Pentium 3 motherboard was updated from 450mhz to 1ghz over the
> > space
> > > of a couple of years. But from what I read at AMDTEch, the last 754
> chip
> > > for this motherboard is coming out in June, that is the 3700+.
> > >
> > > Let's see. New 250 chipset comes out in last part of April (really
could
> > say
> > > May as it was about April 28th and only 3 days from May), then last
new
> > cpu
> > > to support it comes out in June. So that is a lifespan of 2 months?
> > >
> > > I have written AMD myself, and I was hoping for some support from some
> of
> > > you that just purchased the Nforce3 250 based motherboards.
> > >
> > >
> > > Wayne
> >
> >
> >
>
>