PDA

View Full Version : linux64 which one is best recompiling or buying enterprise edition?

vijay eminem
May 18th 04, 05:58 AM
I know red hat has a version of linux they sell which doesn't need
recompiling for the athlon64 and also suse has one too. Is it better to go
with another version that you recompile for a dual athlon64 system or is it
better to buy one of those? I'm talking about in regards to performance, i
want to use it to run apache and nothing else. Another thing is that all
opterons are dual processor processors?

Wes Newell
May 18th 04, 09:27 AM
On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:58:27 -0700, vijay eminem wrote:

> I know red hat has a version of linux they sell which doesn't need
> recompiling for the athlon64 and also suse has one too. Is it better to go
> with another version that you recompile for a dual athlon64 system or is it
> better to buy one of those? I'm talking about in regards to performance, i
> want to use it to run apache and nothing else.

I think any will perform about the same given that they're setup
properly. Might want to download Mandrake 10.0 RC1 (kernel 2.6.6 I
think) and try it. Just running Apache won't use much power unless you
have a very high traffic situation. I don't know about the others, but the
kernel sources, and all you need to recompile come with Mnadrake. You can
bloat it up, or have lean machine depending on what you want to do.

> Another thing is that all opterons are dual processor processors?

No. Models 1xx are single, 2xx dual, 8xx up to 8.

Ben Pope
May 19th 04, 11:05 PM
vijay eminem wrote:
> I know red hat has a version of linux they sell which doesn't need
> recompiling for the athlon64 and also suse has one too.

Gentoo is another.

> Is it better to
> go with another version that you recompile for a dual athlon64 system or
> is it better to buy one of those?

Don't pay for Linux unless you require the support - support can be had for
free in newsgroups / forums unless you're in a particular hurry.

> I'm talking about in regards to
> performance, i want to use it to run apache and nothing else.

Well, gentoo has x86-64 pre built... apache will likely be built for that
too, but usually Gentoo compiles everything by default.

> Another thing is that all opterons are dual processor processors?

No. The first digit of the model number tells you how many of them you can
bundle together. (1,2,8 are your options, I think)

Ben

vijay eminem
May 21st 04, 03:28 AM
OK all, thank you for your support, i just want the best support for a
dedicated server and a scalable platform. This will be a streaming media
server, so i want to do it right. I am a hardware guy from the windows
side, but i am interested in the linux side and as far as scalability is
concerned, there isn't any other way to go.
Which is better gentoo or mandrake RC1?
"Ben Pope" > wrote in message
> vijay eminem wrote:
> > I know red hat has a version of linux they sell which doesn't need
> > recompiling for the athlon64 and also suse has one too.
>
> Gentoo is another.
>
> > Is it better to
> > go with another version that you recompile for a dual athlon64 system or
> > is it better to buy one of those?
>
> Don't pay for Linux unless you require the support - support can be had
for
> free in newsgroups / forums unless you're in a particular hurry.
>
> > I'm talking about in regards to
> > performance, i want to use it to run apache and nothing else.
>
> Well, gentoo has x86-64 pre built... apache will likely be built for that
> too, but usually Gentoo compiles everything by default.
>
> > Another thing is that all opterons are dual processor processors?
>
> No. The first digit of the model number tells you how many of them you
can
> bundle together. (1,2,8 are your options, I think)
>
> Ben

Ben Pope
May 21st 04, 11:11 PM
vijay eminem wrote:
> OK all, thank you for your support, i just want the best support for a
> dedicated server and a scalable platform. This will be a streaming media
> server, so i want to do it right. I am a hardware guy from the windows
> side, but i am interested in the linux side and as far as scalability is
> concerned, there isn't any other way to go.
> Which is better gentoo or mandrake RC1?

If you are a Linux Newbie, probably Mandrake.

If you want options, Gentoo.

Gentoo is all about options, you can have anything you like, but unless you
know what you want, it can be a bit daunting.

However, a stage3 install isn't too bad.

Mandrake on the other hand will provide you with a working system much more
easily.

With Gentoo, updating all of your software to the latest version is as
simple as "emerge -u world", their package management truly is good.

Ben

Randy Howard
May 31st 04, 11:38 PM
In article <[email protected]>, says...
> I know red hat has a version of linux they sell which doesn't need
> recompiling for the athlon64 and also suse has one too. Is it better to go
> with another version that you recompile for a dual athlon64 system or is it
> better to buy one of those? I'm talking about in regards to performance, i
> want to use it to run apache and nothing else. Another thing is that all
> opterons are dual processor processors?

SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit distros in the box.
The 64-bit version will run 32-bit linux apps as is, or you can recompile
them (provided the source is portable and doesn't make assumptions about
pointer sizes, or sizes of other data types).

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)