PDA

View Full Version : New AMD CPU

James
May 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the near
future i'd rather wait a little

Wayne @ W.
May 13th 04, 03:39 PM
According to this, it looks like May 25th of this year.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/25/amd_socket_939_chip_launch/

"James" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
> I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the near
> future i'd rather wait a little

Wes Newell
May 13th 04, 10:19 PM
On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:26:00 +0000, James wrote:

> Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?

Which new cpu? The 64 bit Opteron was released in April of 2003. Since
then there have been many "new" 64bit cpu's.

> I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the
> near future i'd rather wait a little

Everything changes, always in the near future in this field.

General Schvantzkoph
May 14th 04, 01:16 AM
On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:39:19 -0500, Wayne @ W. wrote:

> According to this, it looks like May 25th of this year.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/25/amd_socket_939_chip_launch/
>

> "James" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
>> I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the near
>> future i'd rather wait a little

Or possible early June. There is a big show in Taiwan in June where the
motherboards for the 939 pin part are expected to be announced.

James
May 14th 04, 08:55 PM
yes i was looking for the 939, and i know everything changes, but if its
coming out in a month, i'd say its better to wait the month, and get a mobo,
that is going to have new cpus coming out for it for more then another
couple of months!!

"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .net...
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:26:00 +0000, James wrote:
>
> > Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
>
> Which new cpu? The 64 bit Opteron was released in April of 2003. Since
> then there have been many "new" 64bit cpu's.
>
> > I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the
> > near future i'd rather wait a little
>
> Everything changes, always in the near future in this field.

jes
May 16th 04, 10:59 PM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:55:53 GMT, "James" > wrote:

>yes i was looking for the 939, and i know everything changes, but if its
>coming out in a month, i'd say its better to wait the month, and get a mobo,
>that is going to have new cpus coming out for it for more then another
>couple of months!!

I picked up the old style about a month or two ago. Although it's
limited, it works well enough that it'll be a viable system until it
dies of old age. I've got several systems, so there's always
something it can do for me. It runs as fast as anything REASONABLE
available and does it cooler and quieter than the others.

PS this was written on a P2B 700mhz system ;)

Obsolete and worthless, eh ?

Jason Cothran
May 16th 04, 11:06 PM
<jes> wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:55:53 GMT, "James" > wrote:

<snip>

| PS this was written on a P2B 700mhz system ;)
|
| Obsolete and worthless, eh ?

Nah. I have an old PIII 450 I still use. Granted, it isn't running Windoze
on it (currently dual booting Slackware and Mandrake 10), but even if it
was, it would be suitable for maybe just an internet machine or word
processor <wink>.

Wayne @ W.
May 16th 04, 11:16 PM
Not if if suits your need. But I would consider upgrading ASAP if you live
in the USA. (prices for motherboards and CPU's seem to be cheaper here,
from what I gather.)

Wayne

<jes> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:55:53 GMT, "James" > wrote:
>
> >yes i was looking for the 939, and i know everything changes, but if its
> >coming out in a month, i'd say its better to wait the month, and get a
mobo,
> >that is going to have new cpus coming out for it for more then another
> >couple of months!!
> >

> I picked up the old style about a month or two ago. Although it's
> limited, it works well enough that it'll be a viable system until it
> dies of old age. I've got several systems, so there's always
> something it can do for me. It runs as fast as anything REASONABLE
> available and does it cooler and quieter than the others.
>
> PS this was written on a P2B 700mhz system ;)
>
> Obsolete and worthless, eh ?

rstlne
May 22nd 04, 07:32 PM
"Wayne @ W." > wrote in message
> Not if if suits your need. But I would consider upgrading ASAP if you live
> in the USA. (prices for motherboards and CPU's seem to be cheaper here,
> from what I gather.)
>
> Wayne

Uh..
Laugh..
Silly statement that
Upgrade ASAP cause your in the USA and it's cheaper.
That would mean that ppl in China or Korea upgrade about once a week ;)

Wayne @ W.
May 22nd 04, 09:28 PM
ROFLOL.... I need a proofreader to go over my posts befoer I click send.

:o)