PDA

View Full Version : Tiger K8W Power supply recommendations ?

bebopper
May 10th 04, 04:52 PM
Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??

According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
Likewise ATX12v ??

It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
???

TIA

- bebopper

Peter Strömberg
May 10th 04, 06:29 PM
bebopper > wrote in
:

> Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??
>
> According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
> advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
> Likewise ATX12v ??
>
> It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
> ???

<ftp://ftp.tyan.com/quickref/q_s2875_100.pdf>

"The Tiger K8W S2875 is EPS12V and ATX12V compatible. Use one of the two
combinations below:

* 2 power connectors: EPS12V (24-pin) + EPS12V (8-pin) power connectors

* 3 power connectors: ATX12V (20-pin) + Drive 12V (4-pin) + ATX12V (4-pin)
power connectors

Check User’s Manual for details"

--
Peter Strömberg
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03

bebopper
May 10th 04, 06:34 PM

:

>> Any recommendations on a tried-and-true Power Supply for this mobo ??
>>
>> According to articles it can run with any 350W PIV compatible PS. Any
>> advantages to a native SATA power connection vs. the standard 4-pin ??
>> Likewise ATX12v ??
>>
>> It looks like in order to use ATX12v the board requires a 4-pin Aux
>> ???
>
><ftp://ftp.tyan.com/quickref/q_s2875_100.pdf>
>
>"The Tiger K8W S2875 is EPS12V and ATX12V compatible. Use one of the two
> combinations below:
>
> * 2 power connectors: EPS12V (24-pin) + EPS12V (8-pin) power connectors
>
> * 3 power connectors: ATX12V (20-pin) + Drive 12V (4-pin) + ATX12V (4-pin)
> power connectors
>
> Check User’s Manual for details"

Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...

- bebopper

General Schvantzkoph
May 10th 04, 07:52 PM
On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:52 -0400, bebopper wrote:

> Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
> of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...
>
> - bebopper

On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
search for EPS12V power supplies.

bebopper
May 11th 04, 12:13 AM
I've been there .. I'm getting the Tyan and memory form Newegg
already. I'm just looking for a suggestion as to what other people
have used with this board, and not all the PS descriptions say what
connectors hang off of it. There are a few different options with
this mobo, one of which is to use the standard EPS, which means I
could use my current 350W.

I don't want to order a PS and find out I need an adapter to
run the K8w according to spec...

I was wondering what advantage there might be to going ATX12v
at all...

Thanks !!

- bebopper

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:52:48 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:52 -0400, bebopper wrote:
>

>> Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
>> of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...
>>
>> - bebopper
>
>On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
>search for EPS12V power supplies.

General Schvantzkoph
May 11th 04, 03:20 AM
On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:13:56 -0400, bebopper wrote:

> I've been there .. I'm getting the Tyan and memory form Newegg
> already. I'm just looking for a suggestion as to what other people
> have used with this board, and not all the PS descriptions say what
> connectors hang off of it. There are a few different options with
> this mobo, one of which is to use the standard EPS, which means I
> could use my current 350W.
>
> I don't want to order a PS and find out I need an adapter to
> run the K8w according to spec...
>
> I was wondering what advantage there might be to going ATX12v
> at all...
>
> Thanks !!
>
> - bebopper
>

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:52:48 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:34:52 -0400, bebopper wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks ... I've seen the manual. I'm looking for a brand and part #
>>> of a PS that has these connectors. Not all of them do ...
>>>
>>> - bebopper
>>
>>On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
>>search for EPS12V power supplies.

350W is to small for dual processor system. Newegg has the Antec True550
EPS12V supply available for $100, that one should be more than adequate.
You don't want to cheap out on the power supply on a system like that.
Between motherboard, processors and memory you are going to have nearly
$2K invested in the box, a few dollars more for a good power supply isn't
going to break you, and more importantly the power supply will be less
likely to break your system.

bebopper
May 11th 04, 03:47 PM
On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:20:56 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> wrote:

>>>On the Newegg site you can do a search in the power supply section, just
>>>search for EPS12V power supplies.
>>>

>350W is to small for dual processor system. Newegg has the Antec True550
>EPS12V supply available for $100, that one should be more than adequate.
>You don't want to cheap out on the power supply on a system like that.
>Between motherboard, processors and memory you are going to have nearly
>$2K invested in the box, a few dollars more for a good power supply isn't
>going to break you, and more importantly the power supply will be less
>likely to break your system.

For the record, I went with the Vantek Stealth VAN-520 ($101.00 at
Newegg) This has 3 fans (adjustable) , 10 Mobex connectors, a 24-20
pin converter and several aux 4,6 and 8 pin as well as two floppy
connectors.

It handles 620W peak. The cables are looonnnggg too !! I suspect
this should hande anything I throw at it ...

Thanks,

- bebopper