PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Daniel P
April 28th 04, 06:58 AM
Ok, I'am really confused are the drivers located here:
http://www.amd.com/usen/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_875_10454,00.html
For Win64 or your OS like WinXP. Are they just drivers that help the
hardware take advantage of 64bit support?

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

John Dallman [311000]
April 28th 04, 01:51 PM
"Daniel P" > wrote:

> Ok, I'am really confused are the drivers located here:

http://www.amd.com/usen/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_875_10454,00.html
> For Win64 or your OS like WinXP. Are they just drivers that help the
> hardware take advantage of 64bit support?

They're drivers for 64-bit Windows, (or 64-bit Linux, for some of them) to
let the said operating system operate pieces of hardware which don't have
drivers on the operating system CD.

For example, the 64-bit beta version of Windows doesn't have 64-bit versions
of all the device drivers that are on a retail Windows XP or Server 2003 CD.
One of the reasons for producing the beta OS is to let hardware
manufacturers
write and test 64-bit drivers. 64-bit Windows can't use 32-bit drivers IIRC.

John