PDA

View Full Version : e-machines & AMD 64


Jeffrey Schwartz
April 28th 04, 06:24 AM
I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.

Any comments?

Jeff

Philburg2
April 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
definitely my experience.

"Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
...
> I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
> laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Jeff

K
April 28th 04, 11:17 PM
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:39:49 +0000, Philburg2 wrote:

> Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
> definitely my experience.
>

In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well specced.

Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
look like good value for money.

K

DougH
April 29th 04, 01:42 AM
> In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
> turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well
specced.
>
> Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
> look like good value for money.
>
> K


Sounds like an e-Machine employee.

DougH

Wayne @ W.
April 29th 04, 02:06 AM
"DougH" > wrote in message
...
>> In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
>> turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well
> specced.
>>
>> Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
>> look like good value for money.
>>
>> K
>
>
> Sounds like an e-Machine employee.
>
> DougH
>
>

Naw. What he said was true. E-Machines have gone up in quality since the old
days of Celeron processors and cheap case designs.

Jeffrey Schwartz
April 29th 04, 05:03 AM
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:39:49 GMT, "Philburg2"
> wrote:

>Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
>definitely my experience.
>
That's what I've always thought. Now that gateway bought it maybe
quality will be better, or maybe not.

Jeff

>"Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
...
>> I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
>> laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Jeff
>

BRanger
May 1st 04, 05:35 AM
I think I read that this laptop was built by the same folks who build the
VoodooPC notebooks.

B

"Philburg2" > wrote in message
om...
> Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
> definitely my experience.
>
> "Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
> ...
> > I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
> > laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Jeff
>
>

eminema
May 25th 04, 06:12 AM
I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i love it!
I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am able to boot
it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i am
looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone tell you
that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.

BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
"Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
...
> I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
> laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Jeff

baskitcaise
May 25th 04, 08:14 AM
eminema adjusted his tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to write:

> I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i
> love it! I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am
> able to boot
> it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i
> am
> looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone
> tell you that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.
>
> BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
> "Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were
>> selling laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Jeff

Suse 9.1 Pro has a 64bit version that comes in the box with the 32bit.

With 9.1 Pro ( got to be Pro not Personal which the live eval is based
on ) you get 5 cd`s ( 32bit ) and 2 X double sided DVD`s side "A" on
both dvd`s is a replication of the 32bit version with the source to all
files and the "B" sides have the same but 64bit versions.

HTH

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!
Twixt hill and high water, N.Wales, UK
onfxvgpnvfr-ng-tzk-qbg-pb-hx

General Schvantzkoph
May 25th 04, 01:24 PM
On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:12:01 -0700, eminema wrote:

> I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i love it!
> I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am able to boot
> it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i am
> looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone tell you
> that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.
>
> BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
> "Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
>> laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Jeff

Mandrake has 64bit versions of Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 (the 10 is a release
candidate but it's probably the better choice).

eminema
May 25th 04, 06:26 PM
BTW i found gentoo liveCD has built in compatibility for the emachines
m6805/7 laptops, infact it has a special kernal for it, that is service!
"eminema" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i love
it!
> I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am able to boot
> it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i am
> looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone tell
you
> that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.
>
> BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
> "Jeffrey Schwartz" > wrote in message
> ...
> > I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
> > laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Jeff
>
>