PDA

View Full Version : No BIOS installed?

Craig Coope
April 24th 04, 11:20 AM
I have just bought a new PC (A64 3400+) and although it loads winxp fine
when it is first turned on it says "No device found!" and then "BIOS is not
installed" at the start of the POST...

My Mobo is a Microstar K8T800...

....and it is a Promise BIOS I think....It won't even give me the option to
press del to get into the BIOS....

I have kinda read that it my have something to do with the SATA or RAID set
up....but I am new to that and have no idea how this is set up at the
moment....

There is a floppy disk for the Promise driver...

The PC worked perfectly last night but when I came to turn it on today the
power light came on but no signal was sent tot he monitor and the keyboard
lights didn't come on...it just sat there...so I had to turn it off and on 3
times before it would boot correctly...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Craig...

Sven Ghali
April 25th 04, 01:16 AM
Craig, I would suggest you RMA that mobo ASAP.

"Craig Coope" > wrote in message
>I have just bought a new PC (A64 3400+) and although it loads winxp fine
> when it is first turned on it says "No device found!" and then "BIOS is
> not
> installed" at the start of the POST...
>
> My Mobo is a Microstar K8T800...
>
> ...and it is a Promise BIOS I think....It won't even give me the option to
> press del to get into the BIOS....
>
> I have kinda read that it my have something to do with the SATA or RAID
> set
> up....but I am new to that and have no idea how this is set up at the
> moment....
>
> There is a floppy disk for the Promise driver...
>
> The PC worked perfectly last night but when I came to turn it on today the
> power light came on but no signal was sent tot he monitor and the keyboard
> lights didn't come on...it just sat there...so I had to turn it off and on
> 3
> times before it would boot correctly...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Craig...

Daniel P
April 25th 04, 02:00 AM
I have a similar problem it says bios is no installed and all that, but I
can access the bios by press del. It posts it works fine for me so i don't
care. Also, The Core Center Splash screen is on i am guessing. That covers
up the bios option you can press del while that is up go into bios and turn
it off.

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"Craig Coope" > wrote in message
> I have just bought a new PC (A64 3400+) and although it loads winxp fine
> when it is first turned on it says "No device found!" and then "BIOS is
not
> installed" at the start of the POST...
>
> My Mobo is a Microstar K8T800...
>
> ...and it is a Promise BIOS I think....It won't even give me the option to
> press del to get into the BIOS....
>
> I have kinda read that it my have something to do with the SATA or RAID
set
> up....but I am new to that and have no idea how this is set up at the
> moment....
>
> There is a floppy disk for the Promise driver...
>
> The PC worked perfectly last night but when I came to turn it on today the
> power light came on but no signal was sent tot he monitor and the keyboard
> lights didn't come on...it just sat there...so I had to turn it off and on
3
> times before it would boot correctly...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Craig...

Craig Coope
April 25th 04, 12:02 PM
> I have a similar problem it says bios is no installed and all that, but I
> can access the bios by press del. It posts it works fine for me so i don't
> care. Also, The Core Center Splash screen is on i am guessing. That covers
> up the bios option you can press del while that is up go into bios and
turn
> it off.

OK...as an update I can now see the American Megatrends screen where it
askes me if I want to press Del and a couple of other options for boot setup
etc...but I can't actually choose anything because under it says something
like "Continue to flash the BIOS Yes? or No?" and then when I have to choose
one of those options...and choosing yes just makes the PC keep beeping 3
times......

And about the PC not booting....this is the second morning in a row where I
have turned it on and there has been only a few sounds and the PC power
light....no beep and no POST....I simply press reset and it works again?

Do you think this has something to do with it?

Craig....

Craig Coope
April 25th 04, 12:10 PM
"Craig Coope" > wrote in message

> And about the PC not booting....this is the second morning in a row where
> have turned it on and there has been only a few sounds and the PC power
> light....no beep and no POST....I simply press reset and it works again?
>
> Do you think this has something to do with it?
>
> Craig....

OK...another update...Thankd Daniel...it seems that my core splash screen
was hiding the del keypress option as I have just pressed del and it came up
withthe BIOS...so i guess I am happy now...

....I will keep am eye on the PC not booting first time tho...I'm not too
bothered...I have a one year onsite warrenty...and another 3 PCs to use
while this is geting fixed :op

Cheers guys....

Craig Coope
April 25th 04, 12:13 PM
"Satan's Little Sister" > wrote in message
> Thus spake Craig Coope:
>
> >I have just bought a new PC (A64 3400+) and although it loads winxp fine
> >when it is first turned on it says "No device found!" and then "BIOS is
not
> >installed" at the start of the POST...
>
> A typical BIOS package actually a compressed package that contains
> several 'component' BIOSes, for such things as RAID controllers,
> onboard NICs and audio, video, etc. The unpacking code isn't finding
> some device it expects, and thus can't give to that device its BIOS
> code.

I have been told an another ng that the no device found thing is probably
because the PC is just using the usual IDE controller (as that is how it is
connected) and not SATA or RAID...hmmmm...

Craig....

baskitcaise
April 25th 04, 01:11 PM
Craig Coope wrote:

> And about the PC not booting....this is the second morning in a row where
> I have turned it on and there has been only a few sounds and the PC power
> light....no beep and no POST....I simply press reset and it works again?
>
> Do you think this has something to do with it?

How good is your power supply?

Cold boot problems can be down to borderline power supply.

HTH

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!

Hop
April 27th 04, 01:55 AM
"Craig Coope" > wrote in message

> "Satan's Little Sister" > wrote in message
> > Thus spake Craig Coope:
> >
> > >I have just bought a new PC (A64 3400+) and although it loads winxp
fine
> > >when it is first turned on it says "No device found!" and then "BIOS is
> not
> > >installed" at the start of the POST...
> >
> > A typical BIOS package actually a compressed package that contains
> > several 'component' BIOSes, for such things as RAID controllers,
> > onboard NICs and audio, video, etc. The unpacking code isn't finding
> > some device it expects, and thus can't give to that device its BIOS
> > code.
>
> I have been told an another ng that the no device found thing is probably
> because the PC is just using the usual IDE controller (as that is how it
is
> connected) and not SATA or RAID...hmmmm...
>
> Craig....

Craig, the reason it says 'no bios' is because there are no devices attached
to the Promise raid controller.

If you have SATA devices attached, it would 'build an array' the first
time,
and thereafter it would detect the attached devices and boot up from
there...

Is the board the NEO 8 with Via 800T chipset?

Craig Coope
April 27th 04, 09:53 AM
"Hop" > wrote in message

> > Craig....
> >
> Craig, the reason it says 'no bios' is because there are no devices
attached
> to the Promise raid controller.
>
> If you have SATA devices attached, it would 'build an array' the first
> time,
> and thereafter it would detect the attached devices and boot up from
> there...
>
> Is the board the NEO 8 with Via 800T chipset?

K8T Neo based on VIA K8T800...

I am actually not worried about the no bios thing as I have since found the
proper BIOS hidden under the core-cell splash screen....

I however have not found the reason why the PC won't boot from cold....looks
like ti will have to be sent back :o(

Craig...

Craig Coope
April 27th 04, 10:21 AM
"Craig Coope" > wrote in message

> "Craig Coope" > wrote in message
>
> > And about the PC not booting....this is the second morning in a row
where
> > have turned it on and there has been only a few sounds and the PC power
> > light....no beep and no POST....I simply press reset and it works again?
> >
> > Do you think this has something to do with it?
> >
> > Craig....
> >

> OK...another update...Thankd Daniel...it seems that my core splash screen
> was hiding the del keypress option as I have just pressed del and it came
up
> withthe BIOS...so i guess I am happy now...
>
> ...I will keep am eye on the PC not booting first time tho...I'm not too
> bothered...I have a one year onsite warrenty...and another 3 PCs to use
> while this is geting fixed :op

Someone I think on here suggested my cold boot problem (usually overnight)
may be the PSU being borderline but the techy at the store says if this was
the case then it wouldn't boot sometimes even when it has been on for
hours...hmmm...also it is an AMD Cheiftech approved PSU (340W Max)...

It really isn't a "big" problem as it does boot after a min or two...I can't
be bothered with the hassle of sending it back...I hoped it would be covered
by the onsite part of the warrenty....

The powerlight will come on and it kinda sounds like the HS has powered up
but no signal to the monitor or keyboard and it just sits there....

However one time it made the usual beep and got to the core cell screen and
then went "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" until I turned it off.....

I think I need someone here to tell me to get off my (not so) fat arse to
send it back..

Craig... :o)

April 27th 04, 01:25 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:53:24 +0100, "Craig Coope"
> wrote:

>"Hop" > wrote in message

>> > Craig....

>> Craig, the reason it says 'no bios' is because there are no devices
>attached
>> to the Promise raid controller.

>> If you have SATA devices attached, it would 'build an array' the first
>> time,
>> and thereafter it would detect the attached devices and boot up from
>> there...

>> Is the board the NEO 8 with Via 800T chipset?

>K8T Neo based on VIA K8T800...

>I am actually not worried about the no bios thing as I have since found the
>proper BIOS hidden under the core-cell splash screen....

>I however have not found the reason why the PC won't boot from cold....looks
>like ti will have to be sent back :o(

>Craig...

Test1
put a scrap/old PSU on all but MOBO [paperclip between green & black]-
if your system boots faultless it's the PSU

Test2
pull the ON switch wires off the MOBO and switch on by shorting the
two pins with screwdriver/jumper/wire etc - if your system boots
faultless it's the switch/on button.

BoroLad

Wes Newell
April 27th 04, 08:12 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:21:33 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

> Someone I think on here suggested my cold boot problem (usually overnight)
> may be the PSU being borderline but the techy at the store says if this was
> the case then it wouldn't boot sometimes even when it has been on for
> hours...hmmm...also it is an AMD Cheiftech approved PSU (340W Max)...

Just a note. My 400W that works just fine with my AMD XP 2700+ system
won't work with my AMD 64 3000+ system at all. May work for a minute
or two. Voltages in bios flucuate like crazy, Replaced it with a cheap
500W PSU and all is well. The old ones still going on the old system.

> It really isn't a "big" problem as it does boot after a min or two...I
> can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back...I hoped it would
> be covered by the onsite part of the warrenty....
>
> The powerlight will come on and it kinda sounds like the HS has powered
> up but no signal to the monitor or keyboard and it just sits there....

Been there. Seen that too with the old PSU.

> However one time it made the usual beep and got to the core cell screen
> and then went "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" until I turned it off.....

This too, All kind of crazy stuff.

> I think I need someone here to tell me to get off my (not so) fat arse
> to send it back..

Well, if it's in warranty, I'd send it back, or maybe try another larger
PSU if I had one laying around.

Craig Coope
April 28th 04, 11:35 PM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> Craig Coope wrote:
>
> > And about the PC not booting....this is the second morning in a row
where
> > I have turned it on and there has been only a few sounds and the PC
power
> > light....no beep and no POST....I simply press reset and it works again?
> >
> > Do you think this has something to do with it?
> >

> How good is your power supply?
>
> Cold boot problems can be down to borderline power supply.

It is a 340W.....

I have packed the PC up....it is going back to be repaired.......

So now I am back on my lowly K7 1000hz Athlon... :o(

Craig....