PDA

View Full Version : X86-64 upgrade from XP +3200

J_Madlangbayan
April 20th 04, 02:12 AM
I've been reading almost all the white paers on the AMD Athlon 64. I have
a Athlon XP which is an A socket. Can I replace my XP +3200 with an Athlon
64? i would love to experience the true 64bit stream.

Ed Light
April 20th 04, 02:37 AM
You'll need a new motherboard. You might want to wait until the new socket
type comes out - it's 939 or something like that.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

General Schvantzkoph
April 20th 04, 01:35 PM
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:37:41 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> You'll need a new motherboard. You might want to wait until the new socket
> type comes out - it's 939 or something like that.

YOu'll need a new power supply also.

Peter van der Goes
April 20th 04, 04:21 PM
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:37:41 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>
> > You'll need a new motherboard. You might want to wait until the new
socket
> > type comes out - it's 939 or something like that.
>
> YOu'll need a new power supply also.

As the OP said nothing about what PSU is currently in use, how would you
know it needs to be replaced?
The OP may well have a PSU with the extra 12 volt connector, if that is your
point.
Most recent PSU's sport the extra connector.

J_Madlangbayan
April 21st 04, 03:37 AM
I'l need I'll need DAMMIT..... : D

I'll wait and see how long I can hold out. Are there any news about a new
processor technology beyond the Athlon 64? I'm wondering if I should just
wait.

I'm mainly running apps for music editing and surfing the net. And by the
way what are the chances of the 64bit software being the norm. The economy
is in a slump.

Thanks for your input. I love AMD processors.

Ben Pope
April 22nd 04, 12:08 AM
J_Madlangbayan wrote:
> I'l need I'll need DAMMIT..... : D
>
> I'll wait and see how long I can hold out. Are there any news about a
> new processor technology beyond the Athlon 64? I'm wondering if I
> should just wait.

Not really... Athlon64 is the new thing. The socket is gonna change to 939
for home use, and thats likely where it'll stay for some time.

You can wait, and wait and wait, and then die if you like, but thats
generally not good advice for purchasing computers.

> I'm mainly running apps for music editing and surfing the net.

And your XP 3200+ is struggling? In what way have you crippled it?

> And by
> the way what are the chances of the 64bit software being the norm.

Pretty unlikely for a while. Very few applications require and can make use
of, "64bit" computation. The main drive is memory space.

Keep your XP 3200+ until you find it starts to struggle doing what you wish
to do.

Ben