PDA

View Full Version : Cool and Quiet

Marvin Brinke
April 16th 04, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I am looking forward to buy an AMD64 3000+ on an Asus or MSI board, but
I don't know which CPU-cooler fits best. Does it have to be
temperature-controlled? Or is the mainboard capable of adjusting the
fanspeed according to the temperature properly? I want to build a system
that is as silent as possible.
Is there a good website about Cool'n'Quiet? All I found just provide the
standard information which is not very skin deep.

thanks,
Marvin

Wes Newell
April 17th 04, 01:34 AM
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:52:49 +0200, Marvin Brinke wrote:

> I am looking forward to buy an AMD64 3000+ on an Asus or MSI board, but
> I don't know which CPU-cooler fits best. Does it have to be
> temperature-controlled? Or is the mainboard capable of adjusting the
> fanspeed according to the temperature properly? I want to build a system
> that is as silent as possible.
> Is there a good website about Cool'n'Quiet? All I found just provide the
> standard information which is not very skin deep.

The retail cooler is pretty good, plus you get the 3 year warranty. As for
Cool n' Quiet, the fan doesn't matter afaik. I replaced the retail cooler
with a TR2-M6, and it doesn't quite do as good a job as the retail, but
within 1C. But it's very quiet and also has 3 holes clips and the retail
only has a single clip on each end, so I left it on. The reatil fan is
only 70x15mm. I'd replace that with maybe a TMD or 70x25mm fan for max
cooling.

April 17th 04, 03:13 PM
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:52:49 +0200, Marvin Brinke
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking forward to buy an AMD64 3000+ on an Asus or MSI board, but
>I don't know which CPU-cooler fits best. Does it have to be
>temperature-controlled? Or is the mainboard capable of adjusting the
>fanspeed according to the temperature properly? I want to build a system
>that is as silent as possible.
>Is there a good website about Cool'n'Quiet? All I found just provide the
>standard information which is not very skin deep.
>
>thanks,
>Marvin

The Thermalright SLK-948U is what you're looking for. Latest revision
of the Thermalright design. They improved the back plate and mounting
screws. This universal model is good for all three CPUs: athlonXp,
Athlon64, and Pentium4. You supply your own fan so you can chose the
type you need for the amount of cooling vs noise. It accepts both
80mm and 92mm fans, so you can get a 92mm for it. It will work great
with cool and quiet.

The thing's smaller than I expected, but it weights about twice as
much as I expected.

The only thing you need to do is make sure it fits your MSI board, but
I'd expect it will. There's a list at thermalright's website.

Reviewed here:

http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_slk948u-01.html

Alexander Nagel
April 18th 04, 12:29 AM
Hi Marvin,
i have a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe and a cooler from artic-cooling called
silencer64.
The cooler brings its own backplate.
It works great with coolnquiet.
My proc is a 3200+.