PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to have 2 sticks of RAM for the AMD 64 CPU?

Wayne Wastier
April 11th 04, 02:44 AM
I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

Thank you,
Wayne

Povl H. Pedersen
April 11th 04, 08:13 AM
In article >, Wayne Wastier wrote:
> I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
> old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

The Opteron requires ECC memory, and I think the FX does.
But a plain AMD64 uses standard RAM.

Jon Back
April 12th 04, 05:45 AM
Been using a single stick of 3200 Mushkin on an MSI FIS Neo. Works great
and I run the FSB at 215 all day (and night). Don't know that two sticks
would be any better since my AMD64 3000+ only uses a single channel memory
controller. I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

"Wayne Wastier" > wrote in message
> I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
> old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.
>

> Thank you,
> Wayne

Wayne Wastier
April 12th 04, 05:00 PM
Thank you Jon.

Wayne

"Jon Back" > wrote in message
> Been using a single stick of 3200 Mushkin on an MSI FIS Neo. Works great
> and I run the FSB at 215 all day (and night). Don't know that two sticks
> would be any better since my AMD64 3000+ only uses a single channel memory
> controller. I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.
>

> "Wayne Wastier" > wrote in message
>> I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
>> old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Wayne

DougH
April 13th 04, 08:28 AM
I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

DougH

Wes Newell
April 13th 04, 09:24 AM
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

> I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.
>>

> Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
> coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram. The 64
and FX will move to 939.

Angry American
April 13th 04, 01:02 PM
Wes Newell wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:
>
>> I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.
>>>

>> Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
>> changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.
>>
> Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
> The 64 and FX will move to 939.

Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
speak.

Dan

Wes Newell
April 13th 04, 09:56 PM
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:02:38 -0500, Angry American wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:
>>
>>> I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.
>>>
>>> Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
>>> changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.
>>>
>> Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
>> The 64 and FX will move to 939.
>
> Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
> speak.

That's not what I read. The A64 3700+ is the last cpu scheduled for socket
754. All others will be on 939. Athlon XP's are also moving to 754
according to this for some strange reason.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1985

Paul
April 14th 04, 01:33 AM
running 2 x 1 GB sticks in a NEO FSR. Even runs XP64bit

"Wayne Wastier" > wrote in message
> I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
> old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.
>

> Thank you,
> Wayne

---