PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my system, request for info

Shelly F
April 10th 04, 03:08 AM
Present system: epox 8k3a+, 2100+, leadtec geforce 4 TI 4200 128mb,
Mushkin 512mb PC 2700 DDR Sdram, no sata drives.
It is about time for me to upgrade to a 3000+ or 3200+ for
performance. No intense graphics, just stabile performance.
Request suggenstions and comments- I am looking at the Epox 8RDA+.

Also, are the following newsgroups active? I get zero headers with
Free Agent: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a nice day!
Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

Peter van der Goes
April 10th 04, 04:04 PM
"Shelly F" > wrote in message
> Present system: epox 8k3a+, 2100+, leadtec geforce 4 TI 4200 128mb,
> Mushkin 512mb PC 2700 DDR Sdram, no sata drives.
> It is about time for me to upgrade to a 3000+ or 3200+ for
> performance. No intense graphics, just stabile performance.
> Request suggenstions and comments- I am looking at the Epox 8RDA+.
>
> Also, are the following newsgroups active? I get zero headers with
> Free Agent: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and
> alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a
nice day!
> Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

Well, as this is a group for 64 bit processors, are you referring to the
Athlon 64 300+ or 3200+?
The motherboard you mention is a Socket A board, and won't handle an Athlon
64.
If your upgrade is to an XP 3000+ or 3200+, you might want to ask in:

alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

or, as you seem to be targeting Epox products,

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox

Why the 8RDA+, when the current model (for NForce2) is the 8RDA3+?
Why not consider a 64 bit processor, and other motherboard brands such as
Asus, MSI, etc?

Cuzman
April 10th 04, 06:50 PM
"Shelly F" > wrote in message

" Also, are the following newsgroups active? I get zero headers with Free
Agent: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "

It's probably your news server that is the problem, and not Free Agent.
Sign up for free at www.individual.net for a proper text group service.
You'll find thousands of articles in those two newshroups there.