PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 64 anyone?

WillyBigg
March 29th 04, 11:24 PM
Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
building 1? Tia

Nobody
March 30th 04, 12:36 AM
Attention K-Mart Shoppers There Is a Sale in The I Need A Life Department
Buy One Get One Free

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"WillyBigg" > wrote in message
> Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
> building 1? Tia

Ed Light
March 30th 04, 03:48 AM
"WillyBigg" > wrote in message
> Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
> building 1? Tia

I don't see any at newegg, where the mobile xp (32) is creating quite a stir
with overclockers.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

David Maynard
March 30th 04, 04:37 AM
Ed Light wrote:
> "WillyBigg" > wrote in message
>
>>Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
>>building 1? Tia
>

> I don't see any at newegg, where the mobile xp (32) is creating quite a stir
> with overclockers.

Yeah. Because it's unlocked and overclocks as well as any of them. Mine's
doing [email protected]

I surprised there hasn't been more talk of using them to invigorate the
older, lower FSB, motherboards too though.

Ed Light
March 30th 04, 05:21 AM
"David Maynard" > wrote
> > I don't see any at newegg, where the mobile xp (32) is creating quite a
stir
> > with overclockers.
>
> Yeah. Because it's unlocked and overclocks as well as any of them. Mine's
> doing [email protected]
>
> I surprised there hasn't been more talk of using them to invigorate the
> older, lower FSB, motherboards too though.

Also, quiet computer devotees use them to run at low voltage, thus cooler,
requiring less noisy airflow.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Daniel P
March 30th 04, 06:40 AM
I CAN"T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I was tring to stay out of this, but you force me
to give you this link
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-442&depa=1

--
"WillyBigg" > wrote in message
> Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
> building 1? Tia

David Maynard
March 30th 04, 08:49 AM
Ed Light wrote:

> "David Maynard" > wrote
>
>>>I don't see any at newegg, where the mobile xp (32) is creating quite a
>
> stir
>
>>>with overclockers.
>>
>>Yeah. Because it's unlocked and overclocks as well as any of them. Mine's
>>doing [email protected]
>>
>>I surprised there hasn't been more talk of using them to invigorate the
>>older, lower FSB, motherboards too though.
>>

> Also, quiet computer devotees use them to run at low voltage, thus cooler,
> requiring less noisy airflow.

Good point. I've been thinking it would make for a nice, quiet, low power,
HTPC.

WillyBigg
March 30th 04, 02:32 PM
Thanks Daniel for taking the time, I guess I used bad search terms. They
sure are proud
of the 3400s, I'm more in the price range of 2800-3000, but did not see any.
I'll
keep looking.

"Daniel P" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I CAN"T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I was tring to stay out of this, but you force
me
> to give you this link

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-442&depa=1

> --
> "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
it
> holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
> "WillyBigg" > wrote in message
> > Anyone seen any of these for sale (oem or retail)? Anyone thinking of
> > building 1? Tia

Ed Light
March 31st 04, 01:36 AM
"Daniel P" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I CAN"T TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I was tring to stay out of this, but you force
me
> to give you this link

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-442&depa=1

Ah, it has the same voltage as the regular ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light
March 31st 04, 01:38 AM
"David Maynard" > wrote > Good point. I've been thinking it
would make for a nice, quiet, low power,
> HTPC.

This should prove interesting:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10487%20

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

David Maynard
March 31st 04, 04:50 AM
Ed Light wrote:

> "David Maynard" > wrote > Good point. I've been thinking it
> would make for a nice, quiet, low power,
>
>>HTPC.
>

> This should prove interesting:
> http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10487%20

I can confirm the experience of the fellah with no multiplier control. They
DO seem to 'default' to 1,000 MHz on a desktop motherboard for some reason.

Ed Light
April 1st 04, 02:28 AM
"David Maynard" > wrote >
> I can confirm the experience of the fellah with no multiplier control.
They
> DO seem to 'default' to 1,000 MHz on a desktop motherboard for some
reason.

I've been considering how to make one work on my KT400 motherboard with no
controls on it.

I thought I could try the wires in the socket trick.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

He was saying something about having to cut a bridge to go to lower than
standard voltage, but I guess the standard voltage would be low enough.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

David Maynard
April 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Ed Light wrote:

> "David Maynard" > wrote >
>
>>I can confirm the experience of the fellah with no multiplier control.
>
> They
>
>>DO seem to 'default' to 1,000 MHz on a desktop motherboard for some
>
> reason.
>
> I've been considering how to make one work on my KT400 motherboard with no
> controls on it.
>
> I thought I could try the wires in the socket trick.

I would think that would work but I haven't tried it.

> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
>
> He was saying something about having to cut a bridge to go to lower than
> standard voltage, but I guess the standard voltage would be low enough.

Ed Light
April 2nd 04, 01:51 AM
I copied this message from alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Near the end it mentions the mobile 64.

-----

QBall wrote:
>> Are all Mobile Barton 2500 chips unlocked. I can get an "AMD Athlon
>> XP 2500+ (Barton) 1.88GHz 266 FSB 45WMobile" chip
>> for about $95 but I do not want it if it is locked. Anyone know
>> how to tell ?
>
> ALL mobiles are unlocked so that they can use powernow's
> multi-changing to save laptop power.
> They always will be.

This is a common misconception. The
normal/BIOS/L3/whatever-you-want-to-call-it multipler can be locked without
affecting PowerNow. In fact, I've commented in various places that I'm
surprised that it's NOT locked, as the chips come off the same assembly
line. The ability to change the multipliers through PowerNow is, of course,
required for all mobile chips. So you will always be able to change the
multiplier through this on mobile chips, though as soon as (or if) AMD locks
the L5/L6 bridges as well, then you'll only be able to change it to below
the default multiplier. This is the case, in the AMD64 mobiles, where there
are no bridges.

PS to the OP: the 45W mobiles are the good ones to get for overclocking, as
opposed to the (cheaper) 70W DTR chips.

--
Michael Brown
Add [email protected] to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\