PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling

Daniel P
March 27th 04, 01:48 AM
Is anybody running a watercooling system. With the AMD 64. How much does it
make your cpu cooler.

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

March 27th 04, 02:12 PM
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:48:46 -0700, Daniel P wrote:

> Is anybody running a watercooling system. With the AMD 64. How much does it
> make your cpu cooler.

I don't but I sometimes wonder if it's worth it on an AMD64 system. The
chips aren't hot to begin with, and with Cool'nQuiet enabled the fan speed
is minimal and can even shut off if the CPU is completely idle.
From what I've seen water cooling doesn't seem to help overclocking
headroom much either..

Povl H. Pedersen
March 27th 04, 04:36 PM
In article >, K wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:48:46 -0700, Daniel P wrote:
>
>> Is anybody running a watercooling system. With the AMD 64. How much does it
>> make your cpu cooler.
>
> I don't but I sometimes wonder if it's worth it on an AMD64 system. The
> chips aren't hot to begin with, and with Cool'nQuiet enabled the fan speed
> is minimal and can even shut off if the CPU is completely idle.
> From what I've seen water cooling doesn't seem to help overclocking
> headroom much either..

Is cool&Quiet something all motherboards can do ? Haven't seen
my cheap FIC board do it.

General Schvantzkoph
March 27th 04, 05:33 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:36:38 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

> In article >, K wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:48:46 -0700, Daniel P wrote:
>>
>>> Is anybody running a watercooling system. With the AMD 64. How much does it
>>> make your cpu cooler.
>>
>> I don't but I sometimes wonder if it's worth it on an AMD64 system. The
>> chips aren't hot to begin with, and with Cool'nQuiet enabled the fan speed
>> is minimal and can even shut off if the CPU is completely idle.
>> From what I've seen water cooling doesn't seem to help overclocking
>> headroom much either..
>
> Is cool&Quiet something all motherboards can do ? Haven't seen
> my cheap FIC board do it.

From the reviews that I've read the answer is no, only a couple of
manufacturers have implemented it. You should check for a BIOS update to
see if FIC has added it.

Daniel P
March 27th 04, 06:45 PM
yep my MSI has it. Anyway well i was thinking about water cooling because I
wanted to get into overclocking. like bring my 3000+ up to 3Ghz without
breaking 50C. Before u say it. The compressor is a little too expensive and
I can't find where to buy it.

--
"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:36:38 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

> >> I don't but I sometimes wonder if it's worth it on an AMD64 system. The
> >> chips aren't hot to begin with, and with Cool'nQuiet enabled the fan
speed
> >> is minimal and can even shut off if the CPU is completely idle.
> >> From what I've seen water cooling doesn't seem to help overclocking
> >> headroom much either..
> >
> > Is cool&Quiet something all motherboards can do ? Haven't seen
> > my cheap FIC board do it.
>
> From the reviews that I've read the answer is no, only a couple of
> manufacturers have implemented it. You should check for a BIOS update to
> see if FIC has added it.

Harry C
March 28th 04, 12:55 AM
"Daniel P" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> yep my MSI has it. Anyway well i was thinking about water cooling because
> wanted to get into overclocking. like bring my 3000+ up to 3Ghz without
> breaking 50C. Before u say it. The compressor is a little too expensive
> and
> I can't find where to buy it.
>
> --
> "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
> it
> holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message

> does it

> speed
>> >
>> > Is cool&Quiet something all motherboards can do ? Haven't seen
>> > my cheap FIC board do it.
>>
>> From the reviews that I've read the answer is no, only a couple of
>> manufacturers have implemented it. You should check for a BIOS update to
>> see if FIC has added it.

What board do you have Daniel?. 3.0 Ghz is unlikely even with a compressor
because there are no PCI/AGP locks on most boards out there. NF3-250 boards
coming out now will have locks. I run a mild overclock on an ASUS K8V
*2.2Ghz with a 3000+. This is on water using a Corsair Hydrocool. My CPU
idle temp is 29*c and load is 34*c. Once I get a board with locks we'll
answer your question, but for now.... If you have any questions about the
Hydrocool, let me know.
Harryc
--

March 28th 04, 01:44 AM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:55:06 GMT, "Harry C" >
wrote:

>"Daniel P" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> yep my MSI has it. Anyway well i was thinking about water cooling because
>> wanted to get into overclocking. like bring my 3000+ up to 3Ghz without
>> breaking 50C. Before u say it. The compressor is a little too expensive
>> and
>> I can't find where to buy it.
>>
>> --
>> "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
>> it
>> holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

>> does it

>> speed

>>> From the reviews that I've read the answer is no, only a couple of
>>> manufacturers have implemented it. You should check for a BIOS update to
>>> see if FIC has added it.
>>>

>What board do you have Daniel?. 3.0 Ghz is unlikely even with a compressor
>because there are no PCI/AGP locks on most boards out there. NF3-250 boards
>coming out now will have locks. I run a mild overclock on an ASUS K8V
>*2.2Ghz with a 3000+. This is on water using a Corsair Hydrocool. My CPU
>idle temp is 29*c and load is 34*c. Once I get a board with locks we'll
>answer your question, but for now.... If you have any questions about the
>Hydrocool, let me know.
>Harryc

Nvidia claims the manufacturers screwed up their bios and the 150
should have had locks. (see -250 preview at anands)

Sounds screwball to me.

If that were the case, then we'd be seeing bios updates that enabled
PCI locks.

I've been looking at the various motherboards for athlon64 and
concluded that what I'm looking for already exists in the Intel
motherboards ;) Wait a minute... that can't be right ;)

Daniel P
March 28th 04, 03:03 AM
Here's my System
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T-NEOFS2R
Kingston 512 PC3200
Nvidia eVGA 5900SE 128
Maxtor 80Gb ATA 7200Rpm
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Antec 300W PSU

--
"Harry C" > wrote in message

> "Daniel P" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > yep my MSI has it. Anyway well i was thinking about water cooling
because
> > wanted to get into overclocking. like bring my 3000+ up to 3Ghz without
> > breaking 50C. Before u say it. The compressor is a little too expensive
> > and
> > I can't find where to buy it.
> >
> > --
> > "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side,
and
> > it
> > holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

> > does it

> > speed

> >> From the reviews that I've read the answer is no, only a couple of
> >> manufacturers have implemented it. You should check for a BIOS update
> >> see if FIC has added it.
> >>

> What board do you have Daniel?. 3.0 Ghz is unlikely even with a compressor
> because there are no PCI/AGP locks on most boards out there. NF3-250
boards
> coming out now will have locks. I run a mild overclock on an ASUS K8V
> *2.2Ghz with a 3000+. This is on water using a Corsair Hydrocool. My CPU
> idle temp is 29*c and load is 34*c. Once I get a board with locks we'll
> answer your question, but for now.... If you have any questions about the
> Hydrocool, let me know.
> Harryc
> --

Daniel P
March 30th 04, 02:30 AM
Hello Hello anybody there

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"Daniel P" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Is anybody running a watercooling system. With the AMD 64. How much does
it
> make your cpu cooler.
>
> --
> "Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and
it
> holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

Harry C
March 30th 04, 11:28 AM
I didn't know you were waiting for a reply:). Your board has a VIA K8T800
chipset. There are no PCI/AGP locks on it. My research shows that you won't
get much higher than 2.3ghz out of it, no matter what the the cooling is.
Good luck.
Harryc
--

news:[email protected]