PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x

Another Anonymous
March 21st 04, 02:38 AM
Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there another
one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to spend on
a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I wanna go
all out.
Thanx.

Pharoah
March 21st 04, 02:38 AM
look for the FX 53 or wait a bit as they will have a new chip soon.

"Another Anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
> Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there
another
> one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to
spend on
> a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I
wanna go
> all out.
> Thanx.

DougH
March 21st 04, 05:37 AM
> Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to spend on
> a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I
wanna go
> all out.
> Thanx.

How about dual Opterons. That will use up some cash pretty quick.

DougH

General Schvantzkoph
March 21st 04, 03:43 PM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:38:21 +0000, Another Anonymous wrote:

> Wanting to buy AMD Athlon 64 FX-5x. Should I go for the 51 or is there another
> one coming out soon? Price is not an issue as my work gave me $5,000 to spend on
> a PC and I have to spend it all or its lost back into their budget so I wanna go
> all out.
> Thanx.

Dual Opterons is your best option. The FX51 or FX53 are a complete waste
of money. For the price of an FX51 + single Opteron 14x/FX5x
motherboard you can buy a dual Opteron 242 system. A dual system supports
twice as much RAM and will have significantly more processing power. With
your budget you might want to choose 244s or 246s. You could also get WD
Raptor 10000RPM drives but those are a wast of money in my opinion, if you
have enough RAM you'll hardly every touch your disks.

Elgato
March 31st 04, 05:55 AM
Check the AMD site for info on the FX-53 (2.6GHz). www.amd.com or
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040318/index.html

The FX-55 (2.8 GHz) is expected to be released later this year. A 3 GHz
chip (FX-57?) is also expected before the end of the year.