PDA

View Full Version : Now I am up'n running

Povl H. Pedersen
March 19th 04, 08:41 PM
Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

It is a board slightly over half the price of most other boards,
and has allt he features one would want. 2x FireWire. 4xUSB 2.0 +
socket for 2 more. Audio bracket which includes optical and coax
digital out etc etc. And just as important, serial ports and
a printer port.

Wes Newell
March 19th 04, 11:13 PM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

> Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
> Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
> Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.

Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
they exist yet.

Povl H. Pedersen
March 20th 04, 10:12 AM
In article >, Wes Newell wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
>
>> Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
>> Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
>> Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.
>>
> Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
> find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
> i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
> for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
> they exist yet.

I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.

Don't use the RAID controller, so don't know if supported.
The default kernel crashes if I have an USB mouse or keyboard
connected.

Had a little trouble putting a decent kernel on it (2.6.3) got
the QM_MODULES: Function not implemented error trying to load any module.

Had trouble install init-mod-utils as gcc don't know how to find
static libc. So all in all I have less luck than I had hoped.

Considering a few options right now. Maybe just recompile gcc
and see if that helps, or switch to Suse or Gentoo. But would
rather get Mandrake running, as my server is on MDK10.

Povl H. Pedersen
March 20th 04, 12:33 PM
In article >, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
[re Mandrake 9.2 trouble on FIC K8 T800]
> Don't use the RAID controller, so don't know if supported.
> The default kernel crashes if I have an USB mouse or keyboard
> connected.

dmesg in a kernel 2.6.3 told me to update my BIOS or disable legacy
USB in the BIOS. So I updated my BIOS, and can now install with
mouse and everything. Seems like they shipped with a pre-1.0 BIOS,
as 1.0 is the latest.

General Schvantzkoph
March 20th 04, 05:27 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:12:28 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

> In article >, Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:41:09 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
>>
>>> Finally got a retention bracket for my AMD64 3000+ on a FIC K8-800T.
>>> Have installed Windows 64-bit on it. And I am currently burning
>>> Linux Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 to CD.
>>>
>> Is that the RC1 or the release version? If release version, where did you
>> find it?I've got RC1 here, but it doesn't see my raid controller. The
>> i586 version of 9.2 does. Silcon Image 680. I'm also looking for drivers
>> for the SIS180 sata/ata controller if you onow where I can find them if
>> they exist yet.
>
> I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
> MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.

Just curious, is the price for MandrakeClub really 120 pounds for UK user?
It cost me $120 which is a lot less than 120 pounds.

Ben Pope
March 21st 04, 12:18 AM
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:12:28 +0000, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
>
>> In article >, Wes
>> Newell wrote:
>>
>> I paid the 120 quid to become a MandrakeClub member so I could download
>> MDK10 for x86, MandrakeMove-USB and MDK92 for AMD64.
>
> Just curious, is the price for MandrakeClub really 120 pounds for UK user?
> It cost me $120 which is a lot less than 120 pounds.

Well the website says $120(65) or 120Eur(80). Don't see why I couldn't
pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost 55. Much less than I
was expecting.

Ben

Povl H. Pedersen
March 21st 04, 09:23 AM
In article >, Ben Pope wrote:
> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> Well the website says $120(65) or 120Eur(80). Don't see why I couldn't
> pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
> cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost 55. Much less than I
> was expecting.

The 120 Euro includes EU VAT, which the must charge for Europeans.
I had no option to select us$ even though I would have preferred to
pay in that cheap currency. 65 + approx 15-20% VAT is close to
80 anyway.

> Ben

Ben Pope
March 21st 04, 12:48 PM
Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
> In article >, Ben Pope wrote:
>> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> Well the website says $120(65) or 120Eur(80). Don't see why I couldn't
>> pay in $ - with the current exchange rate it makes this kind of thing
>> cheap... I renewed my domain for 5 years and it cost 55. Much less
>> than I was expecting.
>
> The 120 Euro includes EU VAT, which the must charge for Europeans.
> I had no option to select us$ even though I would have preferred to
> pay in that cheap currency. 65 + approx 15-20% VAT is close to
> 80 anyway.

Fair enough.

Ben