PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Sp700: ---> 68 PIN SCSI DISK <---- Issue with Installation of...

JPRW
October 10th 04, 05:13 AM
Hello Group.

I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly working
well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing trial
and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the Quantum
Atlas hard Disk.

I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to give
you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the scanned
tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF format.
B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am still
in base #1.

These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:

Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
Boot Disk Slave Disk
10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
9.1 GB 9.1 GB

JUMPERS: JUMPERS
| . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
| . | ID1 | . | Reserved
| . | ID2 | . | Reserved
| . | ID3 | . | Parity Disabled
| . | Write prot | . | write protect
| . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start enabled
| X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
| . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single Ended
| . | Sp Sync
| . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like the
one used in electronics)
| . | LED | . | Res
| . | Term Pwr | . | 8
| . | 4
| . | 2
| X . X | 1
Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard Disk.
As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two ones
slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.

Quantum Atlas 10K II
10.000 RPM
18.2 Gb

Wide J3
| . | TERMPWR
| . | CUSTOMIZE
| . | NO-WIDE
| . | STAGGER SPIN
| . | WR PROTECT
| . | BUSY LED
| . | NC
| . | FORCE SE
| . | DELAY SPIN
| . | FAULT SPIN
| . | SCSI ID (0)
| . | SCSI ID (1)
| . | SCSI ID (2)
| . | SCSI ID (3)

SCA: J2
| . | NC
| . | SE

I really appreciate any help that you may give me in order to make this
three disks work in my Compaq SP 700

Thanks and have a nice week!

--
Juan Pablo Rojas
Graphic Designer - Developer

NuTCrAcKeR
October 10th 04, 08:22 AM
Hello Juan,

Not being one to split hairs (well, ok .. I AM one to do that ...) your
terminology isnt correct. When dealing with SCSI drives, there is no
Master/Slave relationship between them. They each need unique SCSI ID's.
Based on the infomration you have provided, it appears that you have 2 disks
that are trying to be SCSI ID:0 . This isnt good. the disk with the ID of 0
is typically the drive that the system boots from.

Arrange your SCSI ID jumpers as follows, and you should be in good shape:

Atlas: no jumpers for ID's (SCSI ID = 0 , Boot Drive)
Fujitsu: jumper ID1 (SCSI ID = 1)
Refurb: jumper ID 0 and 1 (SCSI ID = 2)

In additon, if you are still having problems, make sure that the MTR Start
jumper (very small on the PCB) is jumpered as well.

Let us know how this works out for you,

- LC, Chicago

"JPRW" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello Group.
>
> I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly working
> well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
> quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing trial
> and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the
Quantum
> Atlas hard Disk.
>

> I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to give
> you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the scanned
> tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
> ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF format.
> B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am still
> in base #1.
>
> These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:
>
> Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
> Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
> Boot Disk Slave Disk
> 10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
> 9.1 GB 9.1 GB
>
> JUMPERS: JUMPERS
> | . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
> | . | ID1 | . | Reserved
> | . | ID2 | . | Reserved
> | . | ID3 | . | Parity Disabled
> | . | Write prot | . | write protect
> | . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start enabled
> | X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
> | . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single Ended
> | . | Sp Sync
> | . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like
the
> one used in electronics)
> | . | LED | . | Res
> | . | Term Pwr | . | 8
> | . | 4
> | . | 2
> | X . X | 1
> Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
> And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard
Disk.
> As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two ones
> slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.
>
> Quantum Atlas 10K II
> 10.000 RPM
> 18.2 Gb
>
> Wide J3
> | . | TERMPWR
> | . | CUSTOMIZE
> | . | NO-WIDE
> | . | STAGGER SPIN
> | . | WR PROTECT
> | . | BUSY LED
> | . | NC
> | . | FORCE SE
> | . | DELAY SPIN
> | . | FAULT SPIN
> | . | SCSI ID (0)
> | . | SCSI ID (1)
> | . | SCSI ID (2)
> | . | SCSI ID (3)
>
> SCA: J2
> | . | NC
> | . | SE

> I really appreciate any help that you may give me in order to make this
> three disks work in my Compaq SP 700
>
> Thanks and have a nice week!
>

> --
> Juan Pablo Rojas
> Graphic Designer - Developer
> Merca-web.com
> http://www.merca-web.com/

JPRW
October 11th 04, 04:04 AM
LC,

Thanks a lot in advance, I am going to do your advice; with a hard copy of
this reply in my hand to know what I am doing.

Of course I;lllet you know the outcome of the jumper setting and the way the
system boots

Thanks

:)

Juan

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> Hello Juan,
>
> Not being one to split hairs (well, ok .. I AM one to do that ...) your
> terminology isnt correct. When dealing with SCSI drives, there is no
> Master/Slave relationship between them. They each need unique SCSI ID's.
> Based on the infomration you have provided, it appears that you have 2
disks
> that are trying to be SCSI ID:0 . This isnt good. the disk with the ID of
0
> is typically the drive that the system boots from.
>
> Arrange your SCSI ID jumpers as follows, and you should be in good shape:
>
> Atlas: no jumpers for ID's (SCSI ID = 0 , Boot Drive)
> Fujitsu: jumper ID1 (SCSI ID = 1)
> Refurb: jumper ID 0 and 1 (SCSI ID = 2)
>
> In additon, if you are still having problems, make sure that the MTR Start
> jumper (very small on the PCB) is jumpered as well.
>
> Let us know how this works out for you,
>
> - LC, Chicago
>

> "JPRW" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Hello Group.
> >
> > I have a Compaq Professional workstation SP700 which is currerntly
working
> > well with 2 Compaq SCSI hard Disks. I am in the need of installing a new
> > quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing
trial
> > and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the
> Quantum
> > Atlas hard Disk.
> >

> > I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to
give
> > you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the
scanned
> > tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
> > ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF
format.
> > B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am
still
> > in base #1.
> >
> > These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:
> >
> > Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)
> > Wide Ultra SCSI 2 Wide Ultra SCSI 2
> > Boot Disk Slave Disk
> > 10,00 RPM 7200 RPM
> > 9.1 GB 9.1 GB
> >
> > JUMPERS: JUMPERS
> > | . | ID0 | . | TP to bus
> > | . | ID1 | . | Reserved
> > | . | ID2 | . | Reserved
> > | . | ID3 | . | Parity
Disabled
> > | . | Write prot | . | write protect
> > | . | Start cmd | . | Motor Start
enabled
> > | X . X | Single/Wide | . | Delay Mtr Start
> > | . | Diff Sens | . | Force Single
Ended
> > | . | Sp Sync
> > | . | IDD reset | . | (Down Arrow, like
> the
> > one used in electronics)
> > | . | LED | . | Res
> > | . | Term Pwr | . | 8
> > | . | 4
> > | . | 2
> > | X . X | 1
> > Selected Jumpers: | X. X |
> > And this is the jumpers currently unselected in the Quantum Atlas Hard
> Disk.
> > As I say, My goal is to make this new HD the Master and the other two
ones
> > slaves; say the 10 RPM as Slave 1 and the 7.2RPM as the second slave.
> >
> > Quantum Atlas 10K II
> > 10.000 RPM
> > 18.2 Gb
> >
> > Wide J3
> > | . | TERMPWR
> > | . | CUSTOMIZE
> > | . | NO-WIDE
> > | . | STAGGER SPIN
> > | . | WR PROTECT
> > | . | BUSY LED
> > | . | NC
> > | . | FORCE SE
> > | . | DELAY SPIN
> > | . | FAULT SPIN
> > | . | SCSI ID (0)
> > | . | SCSI ID (1)
> > | . | SCSI ID (2)
> > | . | SCSI ID (3)
> >
> > SCA: J2
> > | . | NC
> > | . | SE

> > I really appreciate any help that you may give me in order to make this
> > three disks work in my Compaq SP 700
> >
> > Thanks and have a nice week!
> >

> > --
> > Juan Pablo Rojas
> > Graphic Designer - Developer
> > Merca-web.com
> > http://www.merca-web.com/

NuTCrAcKeR
October 12th 04, 05:09 AM
Juan,

Upon reflection, your disk ID;s will not be 0, 1, 2. They will be something
more like 0, 2, 3. But, it should still work out the way you want it to.

- LC

"JPRW" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> [...]
> > > quantum Atlas Hard Disk.that I bought recently. I have been playing
> trial
> > > and error but I am not able to make at least the BIOS recognize the
> > Quantum
> > > Atlas hard Disk.
> > >

> > > I am not sure if this newsgroup accepts attachments, so I am going to
> give
> > > you a my scope of the subject and if needed, I will email you the
> scanned
> > > tags of the Quantum Atlas hard Disk in Jpeg format as well as an
> > > ilustration of the jumpers and how they are curently set, in a PDF
> format.
> > > B.T.W, I already went to Quantum website (but without luck) so I am
> still
> > > in base #1.
> > >
> > > These is the Jumper set in the two Compaq Hard Disks:
> > >
> > > Compaq (Fujitsu) Compaq (Refurbished disk)

like