PDA

View Full Version : Re: ES40 hanging

Stefaan A Eeckels
October 5th 04, 09:29 AM
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:19:00 +0200
"DeeWee" > wrote:

> Any idea's ?

Is there any pattern to the hangs, or is it simply a random occurence?

--
Stefaan
--

Stefaan A Eeckels
October 5th 04, 03:47 PM
"DeeWee" > wrote:

> no pattern found

What about power problems? I suppose you're on a UPS,
but I've seen spikes and glitches produced by very
expensive UPS installations. Staying with power, are
you sure there are no mechanical problems with your
power supply cables? One problem that bugged me no
end was a power cable that got squashed whenever
someone walked on a particular floor tile, and this
made the machine reboot. You might have done this
already, but if not, install a recording power monitor.

Another thing you might want to look at is the chassis.
It would seem you've replaced all the boards, but if
the interconnects are playing up (something simple as
a bad floor tile that sags and the resulting strain
on the cabinet opens a bad solder patch somewhere),
it could explain the random crashes.

Finally, are you sure you don't have someone with
a strong Murphy field on staff (don't laugh, some
people manage to crash any computer they come too
close to :-).

Take care,

--
Stefaan