PDA

View Full Version : ProLiant 800 and hitting F1

Steven
September 1st 04, 08:14 PM
Hello,

I inherited an old ProLiant 800 server, and wish to install FreeBSD on
it. Unfortunately, it keeps giving me a boot-time prompt, where I must
either hit F1 or F10. Unfortunately hitting F10 tells me that it can't
find the utility, and we didn't inherit any of the setup disks.

What software do I need to download from Compaq (HP) to solve this
issue?

Thank you for your help!

--Steven

Nut Cracker
September 1st 04, 10:19 PM
You need to use SmartStart to setup the server. Does this system have an
Array Controller? If so, which one? Also, you shouldnt be getting the F1,F10
message unless the system post is encountering a problem. Can you tell me
what that says ?

You can download an ISO of smartstart 5.3 which will support your server
from me. hit me at:

cpqiso at dnsplus dot net

Thanks,

- LC

"Steven" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I inherited an old ProLiant 800 server, and wish to install FreeBSD on
> it. Unfortunately, it keeps giving me a boot-time prompt, where I must
> either hit F1 or F10. Unfortunately hitting F10 tells me that it can't
> find the utility, and we didn't inherit any of the setup disks.
>
> What software do I need to download from Compaq (HP) to solve this
> issue?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> --Steven

VinceV
September 2nd 04, 05:03 PM
"Steven" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> I inherited an old ProLiant 800 server, and wish to install FreeBSD on
> it. Unfortunately, it keeps giving me a boot-time prompt, where I must
> either hit F1 or F10. Unfortunately hitting F10 tells me that it can't
> find the utility, and we didn't inherit any of the setup disks.
>
> What software do I need to download from Compaq (HP) to solve this
> issue?

As Nutcracker pointed out a Smart Start CD can be your friend. I have
found that you can download the individual utilities from the
HP/compaq web site. You'll want the system erase utility, the array
config utility, and the setup utility.

The other gotcha that you will encounter installing freeBSD is that
Compaq does not report memory "correctly" (this is a matter of debate)
so you will have to specifiy it during install and add the information
to your permanent config file. Rumor has it that the newer freeBSD
install detects the right memeory amount. When I installed freeBSD it
only detected 16meg of the 1 gig of available ram.

The install process took a command line override at kernel boot. Look
at the maxmem option.

VinceV
September 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
"Steven" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
> --Steven

Here is a link to a google thread that describes how to overcome the
memory detection issues with freeBSD.

http://snipurl.com/8tk1

The original url was 230+ characters long :)

VinceV

Steven Hodgen
September 7th 04, 11:26 PM
Nut Cracker wrote:
> You need to use SmartStart to setup the server. Does this system have
an
> Array Controller? If so, which one? Also, you shouldnt be getting the
F1,F10
> message unless the system post is encountering a problem. Can you
tell me
> what that says ?

Ok, the only message that amounts to an error relates to an Array
Controller being present but no drives found.

The system has both a SCSI and a 1221 Smart Array Controller, but I'm
not currently using it. The system in question was present in a
building we purchased, and didn't have any of the disks, cables, etc.
that might have originally come with the system, and it came with three
10GB drives on the SCSI card, so I'm just using it that way, since I
don't have cables to connect the drives the the Array controller. In
any case, I would think I should be able to boot the system with an
unused Array controller in the system??? Hmmm.

> You can download an ISO of smartstart 5.3 which will support your
server
> from me. hit me at:
>
> cpqiso at dnsplus dot net

I just sent you an email at this address, but now I'm not sure if
you'll get this one, since your address may be mangled... We'll see.

> Thanks,
>
> - LC
>
> "Steven" > wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I inherited an old ProLiant 800 server, and wish to install FreeBSD
on
> > it. Unfortunately, it keeps giving me a boot-time prompt, where I
must
> > either hit F1 or F10. Unfortunately hitting F10 tells me that it
can't
> > find the utility, and we didn't inherit any of the setup disks.
> >
> > What software do I need to download from Compaq (HP) to solve this
> > issue?
> >
> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > --Steven

NuTCrAcKeR
September 8th 04, 03:06 AM
Yes, you would. provided that the SCSI controller and not the array
controller was set to be the first controller.

You will need a SmartStart CD to boot from, and go into the system
configuration utility. When you run that, you will be able see the
controller "order". Make sure that the 221 is not listed as FIRST.

You can get the iso from me. hit me cpqiso at dnsplus dot net for details.

- LC