PDA

View Full Version : Compaq ProLiant 7000 Multi Processor Support

onlyodin
August 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Hi,

I am in need of some assistance configuring my ProLiant 7000. I have Quad
Pentium Pro 200's installed, but no matter what I try the OS will only
recognise 1 CPU. I've been reading that I need to have the machine
re-write the mptable correctly, and others suggest changing APIC
settings.

I've tried using the Compaq System Configuration Utility from the website
without success, and I don't have an old enough version of the SmartStart
CD that will work with my system.

Does anyone have experience getting multiple processors working on these
types of machines (either Windows, FreeBSD or Linux)

Does anyone have a Smartstart CD ~v5.5 that I could download an ISO of?

NuTCrAcKeR
August 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
"onlyodin" > wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am in need of some assistance configuring my ProLiant 7000. I have Quad
> Pentium Pro 200's installed, but no matter what I try the OS will only
> recognise 1 CPU. I've been reading that I need to have the machine
> re-write the mptable correctly, and others suggest changing APIC
> settings.
>
> I've tried using the Compaq System Configuration Utility from the website
> without success, and I don't have an old enough version of the SmartStart
> CD that will work with my system.
>
> Does anyone have experience getting multiple processors working on these
> types of machines (either Windows, FreeBSD or Linux)
>
> Does anyone have a Smartstart CD ~v5.5 that I could download an ISO of?

try this first:

go into the system configuration utility, and press CTRL+A to get into
"advanced mode". Then, "configure the system". Make sure that the APIC is
set to "full table, mapped". This is required for the PPro processor.

reboot. Update the SystemType under the device manager (2000 or higher).
Reboot. you will then see the 4 processors that are reported when the system
boots, from within the Windows operating system.

I have 5.3 of smart start ... you can DL an compressed ISO if you wish. I
ask for a $5 paypal contribution towards the bandwidth and other expenses
related to keeping the server online.

Let us know how you fare ...

- LC

Dan
August 23rd 04, 03:09 AM
To Those concerned:
In the message -- what was not specified was the OS. If you OS you are
trying to install is Windows 2003, your screwed. Windows 2K3 will *NOT*
recognize multi- Pentium Pro CPU installation.

If you have a CPU that is < PII @ 350, there is a CHANCE that this will
affect you.
If you have a CPU that is a Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium MMX, than this
WILL affect you.
M$ made Windows 2K3 "faster", however it lost compatibility with "older"
multi-processor systems. If you have this system, your screwed.
The actual cause is a bug on the CPU, that only impacts multi-processor
systems.

I spoke with the Intel Rep, and he said that the "faster" was negligible,
and Intel tried to have MS keep the compatibility with older systems. (I
also tried) but to no avail.

-- You might be able to get WinXP - Pro to work ;-) and I know that
Windows 2K, NT 4 will work just fine.

Good luck!

Dan

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message

> "onlyodin" > wrote in message
> lkaboutcomputing.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am in need of some assistance configuring my ProLiant 7000. I have
Quad
> > Pentium Pro 200's installed, but no matter what I try the OS will only
> > recognise 1 CPU. I've been reading that I need to have the machine
> > re-write the mptable correctly, and others suggest changing APIC
> > settings.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience getting multiple processors working on these
> > types of machines (either Windows, FreeBSD or Linux)
> >
> > Does anyone have a Smartstart CD ~v5.5 that I could download an ISO of?
> >

> try this first:
>
> go into the system configuration utility, and press CTRL+A to get into
> "advanced mode". Then, "configure the system". Make sure that the APIC is
> set to "full table, mapped". This is required for the PPro processor.
>
> reboot. Update the SystemType under the device manager (2000 or higher).
> Reboot. you will then see the 4 processors that are reported when the
system
> boots, from within the Windows operating system.
>

> - LC

onlyodin
August 23rd 04, 11:49 PM
That worked an absolute treat. Where does it say to press Ctrl-A to enter
Advanced Mode? Damned Compaq with their microsoft 'We know you're too
dumb to get it right' attitude.

One thing I'll add though, I made the changes and rebooted into FreeBSD,
updated to an SMP Kernel and it failed to work. After a power down and a
cold boot however, the system recognised the CPUs and went on its merry
way.

I'd still like to get that ISO from you though, purely for the fact that I
despise Floppy Disks and their eagerness to fail when needed.

Can the SmartStart CD configure the Raid Cards (ie. can I blow away arrays
and start again when I get a bunch of new drives)? That's mainly what I
want it for - I'm not aware of compaq writing array configuration software
for FreeBSD.

NuTCrAcKeR
August 24th 04, 07:01 AM
Glad to hear it. And Yes, the smart start CD has the array config utility on
it, so you can toast the array, wipe the drives, and start anew ... And, it
isnt a "microsoft" thing ... its a Compaq thing. I learned about that in
thier ASE engineer training I took years ago. The never did explain the
whole NMI deal though... not sure why its there.

- LC

lkaboutcomputing.com...