PDA

View Full Version : New CD driver in Compaq 1600

kiffsta
August 14th 04, 01:18 AM
I have a dual PII 450 Compaq 1600 , I would like to change the cd drive with
a spare cd burner I have lying around. If I set the burner to master\slave
or cable select the server does not recgnise that there is a drive there ,
because the cd drive is unavailable I am unable to boot from my smart start
cd, any ideas.

I also have an ide raid card (Sil680) which I would like to use along with
my Compaq Raid card, the problem is that the Sil680 will always try and boot
first, I have moved the Compaq raid card from pci lot 6 to pci slot 1 and
have the ide raid card in slot 6 but it always boots from the ide raid card,
any ideas on how to change this so that the compaq raid boots first and ide
raid card second. I always though this was based on which pci slot that the
card was seated in....

Chris

NuTCrAcKeR
August 14th 04, 08:07 PM
Try this;

add the PCI card, without any drives attached to it. Then, boot from the SS
CD, or from the F10 utils that are on the HDD, Run the system configuration
utility and make sure that the NVRAM is updated so it knows that there is a
new device that needs resources installed. Then, make sure that your SA
controller is set to be the "first" controller. F10 to save, follow the
prompts, and reboot.

At this point, power the system off, and add your Disks. Then boot the
server and see if the PCI controller is still trying to be your boot
controller.

You may also need to go into the bios of the PCI RAID card and make sure
that none of the array volumes that are present are set to be Bootable.

As a general rule, dont do ANYTHING IDE in a proliant server that does not
come with IDE drives (like the DL320, for example). You are inviting
headache and complications as there are no supported configurations or
solutions on SCSI based servers.

Many Proliant servers have IDE CDROMS, but that is the ABSOLUTE EXTENT to
which IDE is supported in those systems.

Leave the regular CDROM in the server on the internal IDE header so that you
can boot from it when you need to. You may need to add another non-raid PCI
card to the system to get support for your burner. Unless... its SCSI based.
Then you shouldnt have a problem.

- LC