PDA

View Full Version : Proliant 850R Question

Stuart Carrison
July 18th 04, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

First, sorry for the cross-post. I think all groups are relevant on this one
though.

I have an aged 850R, with 2x Pentium Pro CPUs in my lab environment,
up-dated with the 'latest' bios etc. I do not have a compatible smart start
for this box.

I need to install Windows 2000 Server on it; which, in itself isn't a
problem, the problem is that Windows 2000 only detects 1 CPU. If I force
Windows to use the MPS Multiprocessor HAL, Windows doesn't boot. It gets to
the white bar/black screen but not to the blue/white screen, so this seems
like the wrong HAL. I haven't tried the ACPI HAL, but I do not think this
will work on a box this old either.

I found the following HAL on the support page:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10664.html, but
this only covers NT4.

Can anyone tell me/point me in the right direction as to which
multiprocessor HAL I should be using for this box?

Thanks;

Stuart

Tony Bennett
July 18th 04, 01:49 PM
Stuart Carrison wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First, sorry for the cross-post. I think all groups are relevant on this
> one though.
>
> I have an aged 850R, with 2x Pentium Pro CPUs in my lab environment,
> up-dated with the 'latest' bios etc. I do not have a compatible smart
> start for this box.
>
> I need to install Windows 2000 Server on it; which, in itself isn't a
> problem, the problem is that Windows 2000 only detects 1 CPU. If I force
> Windows to use the MPS Multiprocessor HAL, Windows doesn't boot. It gets
> to the white bar/black screen but not to the blue/white screen, so this
> seems like the wrong HAL. I haven't tried the ACPI HAL, but I do not think
> this will work on a box this old either.
>
> I found the following HAL on the support page:
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/10664.html, but
> this only covers NT4.
>
> Can anyone tell me/point me in the right direction as to which
> multiprocessor HAL I should be using for this box?
>
> Thanks;
>
> Stuart
Is it windows which does not see it, or due to the lack of SmartStart, is
only 1 cpu configured.

I've got a 2500 with twin pp which works fine - you can download smartstart
at least on floppy from the compaq/hp website

Hope this helps

Tony

Nut Cracker
July 18th 04, 05:05 PM
I tried to send you an email directly, but it failed (pesky nospam ...)

you can DL ss 5.30 from me. hit me at info at dnsplus dot net for details.

When you do get the CD, you will need to run the system configuration
utility.

When you do, you will need to get into advanced mode (ctrl + a ) to expose
the processor mapping table, and make sure that the type is set to
"full-table, mapped". The PPro processors are a little different in that the
machine may recognize that there are 2 proc's in the box, but windows wont
interpret this correctly.

This will make it possible for W2K to see both processors and load up the
MPS hal. Naturally, be sure to run the 2000 Support Paq for all the latest
drivers, and insight support.

Next, you will want to drill into the registry, and under memory managment
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory
Management)
you will see an entry for "SecondLevelDataCache". This defaults to
0x00000000 ( which the OS assumes means 256k ). Set this number equal to the
amount of L2 Cache that your processors have. This can have a noticable
difference on the system performance, esp with the 1M and 2M L2 Cache
processors.

Once you do that, you should be set.

If you need any additional information, let us know here, and I will respond
here for the benefit of the group.

- LC