PDA

View Full Version : help installing SCO on proliant ML350

DaveT
July 17th 04, 09:32 PM
hello,
I'm trying to install SCO 5.0.5 on proliant ML350 with a 3200 array
controller.
I found the SCO document specifying to use the BTLD disks to load the
driver for the 3200 array controller. I follow those steps, but after the
driver loads successfully, I see a warning:

Warning: ida: the order of the controller in slot 6 is unassigned - using
ida0

Test open failed "hd=Sdsk", no root disk controller.
System configuration has not been run on this controller, use system
configuration to assign order of this controller.

I have the smartstart 5.5 disk and I've used it to prepare the server.
I don't see any tools on it to run the system configuration. I've installed
Proliant 800/1600's and they have the system config. available when you
press F10 during bootup. I press F10 on this server and I don't get a menu
where system config. is available.
So....how can I get past this hurdle?

I've tried messing with the boot strings but still no luck....

Thanks,

Oskar

NuTCrAcKeR
July 17th 04, 11:08 PM
When you fired up Smart Start, and looked a the tools on the CD .. did you "
update " the system partition ? this would give you the F10 utilities at
system boot time.

- LC

"DaveT" > wrote in message

> hello,
> I'm trying to install SCO 5.0.5 on proliant ML350 with a 3200 array
> controller.
> I found the SCO document specifying to use the BTLD disks to load
the
> driver for the 3200 array controller. I follow those steps, but after the
> driver loads successfully, I see a warning:
>
> Warning: ida: the order of the controller in slot 6 is unassigned - using
> ida0
>
> Test open failed "hd=Sdsk", no root disk controller.
> System configuration has not been run on this controller, use system
> configuration to assign order of this controller.
>
> I have the smartstart 5.5 disk and I've used it to prepare the
server.
> I don't see any tools on it to run the system configuration. I've
installed
> Proliant 800/1600's and they have the system config. available when you
> press F10 during bootup. I press F10 on this server and I don't get a menu
> where system config. is available.
> So....how can I get past this hurdle?
>
> I've tried messing with the boot strings but still no luck....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oskar

DaveT
July 18th 04, 12:55 AM
yes, smartstart installed the system partition and the utilites
but when I press F10, the utilities don't look anything like the ones I've
seen on other proliants...basically this model gives a limited set of
utilities.
I've looked around in there and I don't see anything to work on the array
controller. Just tools for setting which device boots first, IRQ settings,
etc. Basically, limited.

NuTCrAcKeR
July 18th 04, 01:24 AM
which version of the ML350 ? G1, G2 ?
what are its spec's ?

I dont do SCO, but I should be able to help you out with the HW ...

- LC

"DaveT" > wrote in message
> yes, smartstart installed the system partition and the utilites
> but when I press F10, the utilities don't look anything like the ones I've
> seen on other proliants...basically this model gives a limited set of
> utilities.
> I've looked around in there and I don't see anything to work on the array
> controller. Just tools for setting which device boots first, IRQ
settings,
> etc. Basically, limited.

DaveT
July 18th 04, 02:47 AM
it's the g1 (it's a 600MHZ CPU)
it's got 4 9GB ultra2 hot-swap scsi disks, 1 compaq 3200 array controller
and 128MB of RAM.
I'm using the smartstart 5.5 CD.
I've done system erase and configured the array as a raid5 with a hot spare.
The logical volume is around 17GB.

I've gone to the HP site and don't see a download for 'system configuration
utility' for this 1st generation of the ml350.
I saw a version of the system config. utility for the G2 and G3 but not the
1st gen......so that explains why I don't see that.

Thanks,

Oskar

I installed win2k and linux on it and it worked fine.
I also had an adaptec SCSI controller for working with an HP scsi tape drive
(for backups). This isn't causing problems.

Nut Cracker
July 18th 04, 06:04 PM
"DaveT" > wrote in message
m...
> it's the g1 (it's a 600MHZ CPU)
> it's got 4 9GB ultra2 hot-swap scsi disks, 1 compaq 3200 array controller
> and 128MB of RAM.
> I'm using the smartstart 5.5 CD.
> I've done system erase and configured the array as a raid5 with a hot
spare.
> The logical volume is around 17GB.
>
> I've gone to the HP site and don't see a download for 'system
configuration
> utility' for this 1st generation of the ml350.
> I saw a version of the system config. utility for the G2 and G3 but not
the
> 1st gen......so that explains why I don't see that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oskar
>
> I installed win2k and linux on it and it worked fine.
> I also had an adaptec SCSI controller for working with an HP scsi tape
drive
> (for backups). This isn't causing problems.

Oskar,

Does the version of Smart Start that you are using (5.50) use the Linux boot
interface? If so, this version of SS does not have the conventional SCU on
it.

You can DL SS 5.30 from me if you wish, and I believe that will have
everything you need on it.

Hit me at info at dnsplus dot net

Thanks,

-LC

DaveT
July 18th 04, 11:32 PM
Hi,
This cd has the win95 one from what I can tell (it has a folder for win95 on
it, and I certainly don't see anything with linux during boot up). It uses
DOS to do the system partition utility work.

Oskar

ps. I bought it a few years ago....I also have the 6.2 but that doesn't
work on this model server

NuTCrAcKeR
July 19th 04, 05:14 AM
Ok. 6.2 uses the linux boot thingy ...

the Win95 environment is what boots up and gives you a nice GUI to run the
utilities from. You have the last SS cd that used that method.

- LC

"DaveT" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> This cd has the win95 one from what I can tell (it has a folder for win95
on
> it, and I certainly don't see anything with linux during boot up). It
uses
> DOS to do the system partition utility work.
>

> Oskar
>
> ps. I bought it a few years ago....I also have the 6.2 but that doesn't
> work on this model server

gbjay1
July 30th 04, 07:09 AM
I'm no expert on the ML350, however my experience w/Compaq Server
Design/DELL/WD the main three in mass SCSI Technology leads me to advise
that most Proliant Servers Drive Arrays have the terminators preset for
each slot. For instance, the Server has four (4) slots for SCSI Hard
Drives; the very bottom slot for Drive 0, Target 0, LUN 0. The second slot
from the bottom for Drive 1, Target 3, etc.

Most of the ULtraWide Fast SCSI Hard Drives are preset for Automatic
Select. In essence, remove all of your Hard Drives, then place whichever
Hard Drive you've installed the OS on, in one-slot-at-a-time, then
Power-Up the system. Once you have matched Drive O (preferably the OS)
with Slot 0, and Booted Up into the OS, then you can use your SmartStart
CD to make Diskettes and/or install the necessary support software and
Drivers.

GBJ