PDA

View Full Version : MS Dos driver for smart array

John
July 7th 04, 03:30 AM
Hi,
Where can I download Compaq smart array 5i raid controller MS DOS Driver?
I'm trying to make a Ghost image of windows 2003 server installed on my
compaq DL380 G2 Server but I can't find a MS Dos driver for Smart array 5i
controller. Any help would appreciated. Thank you

NuTCrAcKeR
July 7th 04, 05:07 AM
that controller supports the int13 call, so you shouldnt need a dos driver
for the controller. if you have a formatted disk that is readable by dos
(ie, not NTFS), you should see it. But, why have a server without NTFS, i
know... i know.

what you really need is a dos network boot disk so you can run ghost over a
network. have ghost on a CD, but put the image file that is created on a
share on another server someplace. that is what I have done for years.

Also, there are better ways to build a server than to ghost it. I am a big
fan of the unattend myself, or do an assisted ingrated install. same
principle, but it includes all the HPaq stuff from a repository. you can
still edit the cmdlines.txt file so that it installs all your other apps
(like adobe, anti virus, winrar, nero, etc...)

-LC

"John" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi,
> Where can I download Compaq smart array 5i raid controller MS DOS Driver?
> I'm trying to make a Ghost image of windows 2003 server installed on my
> compaq DL380 G2 Server but I can't find a MS Dos driver for Smart array 5i
> controller. Any help would appreciated. Thank you

John
July 7th 04, 05:56 AM
Thank you so much for your reply.
BTW, with int13, I'll be able to detect RAID 5 logical drive with bootable
DOS? I'll try it tomorrow but how it's going to work?
thanks,

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> that controller supports the int13 call, so you shouldnt need a dos driver
> for the controller. if you have a formatted disk that is readable by dos
> (ie, not NTFS), you should see it. But, why have a server without NTFS, i
> know... i know.
>
> what you really need is a dos network boot disk so you can run ghost over
> network. have ghost on a CD, but put the image file that is created on a
> share on another server someplace. that is what I have done for years.
>
> Also, there are better ways to build a server than to ghost it. I am a big
> fan of the unattend myself, or do an assisted ingrated install. same
> principle, but it includes all the HPaq stuff from a repository. you can
> still edit the cmdlines.txt file so that it installs all your other apps
> (like adobe, anti virus, winrar, nero, etc...)
>
> -LC
>
> "John" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hi,
> > Where can I download Compaq smart array 5i raid controller MS DOS
Driver?
> > I'm trying to make a Ghost image of windows 2003 server installed on my
> > compaq DL380 G2 Server but I can't find a MS Dos driver for Smart array
5i
> > controller. Any help would appreciated. Thank you

NuTCrAcKeR
July 7th 04, 02:02 PM
Yes. the controller will abstract the array config so that any volumes on
the controller will appear as a logical drive.

Newer versions of ghost have the ability to read into the NTFS partition.
You can also get a dos mode NTFS driver (for read only) called NTFSDOS
(google on that) should you need it. If you want the read-write version,
there is a fee.

- LC