PDA

View Full Version : Compaq servers, linux agents and ...

Fibre Optic
June 9th 04, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

I have such a case: I have 150 compaq servers running RH Linux with
installed Compaq agents. Is a server side software installed on w2k system
which store information from other servers with Linux agents receive
remotely ?

Thx,
FO

NuTCrAcKeR
June 10th 04, 12:28 AM
If I understand you question correctly, the answer is :

Insight Manager XE

Your 2000 server will need SQL or MSDE installed to act as the database for
the even repository.

All machines need to be configured for SNMP and your linux servers need the
XE machine to be thier TRAP DESTINATION. They all need the same Community
String as well.

Once you configure SNMP on the linux boxes, you can use XE to scan subnets
to discover devices. You can build in MIB's for other SNMP capable devices
as well.

That should give you a nudge in the right direction.

- LC

"Fibre Optic" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have such a case: I have 150 compaq servers running RH Linux with
> installed Compaq agents. Is a server side software installed on w2k system
> which store information from other servers with Linux agents receive
> remotely ?
>
> Thx,
> FO

NuTCrAcKeR
June 10th 04, 02:55 AM
Or, Insight Manager 7, whichever one they are passing out these days. I dont
recall.

- LC

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> If I understand you question correctly, the answer is :
>
> Insight Manager XE
>
> Your 2000 server will need SQL or MSDE installed to act as the database
for
> the even repository.
>
> All machines need to be configured for SNMP and your linux servers need
the
> XE machine to be thier TRAP DESTINATION. They all need the same Community
> String as well.
>
> Once you configure SNMP on the linux boxes, you can use XE to scan subnets
> to discover devices. You can build in MIB's for other SNMP capable devices
> as well.
>
> That should give you a nudge in the right direction.
>
> - LC
>
> "Fibre Optic" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have such a case: I have 150 compaq servers running RH Linux with
> > installed Compaq agents. Is a server side software installed on w2k
system
> > which store information from other servers with Linux agents receive
> > remotely ?
> >
> > Thx,
> > FO

Rod R.
June 11th 04, 12:29 PM
HP Systems Insight Manager also runs on Linux, so you won't need a Windows
system.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html