PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Project

NuTCrAcKeR
May 30th 04, 07:32 AM
One of our business units needs an insane SQL 2000 cluster, so I get to
build a 2 node, Active/Active 2003 Enterprise cluster ... 4TB of EMC
Symetrix storage.. for 1 DB. If they meet thier projections, they will have
the single largest MS SQL DB on the planet. 3 independent paths to the
storage volumes via 2Gb FC.

2 DL740's.
8GB Ram (20 sticks of memory to get 8 usable gig (10 total) because the the
RAM RAID)
4 36G u320 Drive
SA532
4x 2.8-1M

This is going to be fun... I cant wait to see the price tag on this one

there are also going to be 7 DL380's in the app environment. I think the
lights in chicago are going to dim when i fire these up...

I can think of worse things to do in life....

- LC

bt
June 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a fun project :-)

I know when I was looking at putting in a SQL2000 cluster two years ago the
price tag on the SQL CPU licenses were close to $17,000 per CPU. So right
off the bat I can tell you where a large percent of your budget is going.

One thing you might want to look at is your cluster setup. Last time I
checked, and again this was two years ago so I could be mistaken, you could
only do Active/Passive on SQL2000.

Good luck,

BT

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> One of our business units needs an insane SQL 2000 cluster, so I get to
> build a 2 node, Active/Active 2003 Enterprise cluster ... 4TB of EMC
> Symetrix storage.. for 1 DB. If they meet thier projections, they will
have
> the single largest MS SQL DB on the planet. 3 independent paths to the
> storage volumes via 2Gb FC.
>
> 2 DL740's.
> 8GB Ram (20 sticks of memory to get 8 usable gig (10 total) because the
the
> RAM RAID)
> 4 36G u320 Drive
> SA532
> 4x 2.8-1M
>
> This is going to be fun... I cant wait to see the price tag on this one
>
> there are also going to be 7 DL380's in the app environment. I think the
> lights in chicago are going to dim when i fire these up...
>
> I can think of worse things to do in life....
>
> - LC

http://www.usenet.com

NuTCrAcKeR
June 3rd 04, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The licensing for SQL will depend on where the
connections come from. It is highly likely that the connections will be from
internal customers, so they will fall into the 30,000 CAL select agreement
that the company I work for has. And, our per proc price on SQL is closer to
about $9K per proc when we do license it that way.

However, SQL 2000 does in fact run in A/A mode. We presently have several
configured as such.

Stay tuned...

- LC

"bt" > wrote in message
> Sounds like a fun project :-)
>
> I know when I was looking at putting in a SQL2000 cluster two years ago
the
> price tag on the SQL CPU licenses were close to $17,000 per CPU. So right
> off the bat I can tell you where a large percent of your budget is going.
>
> One thing you might want to look at is your cluster setup. Last time I
> checked, and again this was two years ago so I could be mistaken, you
could
> only do Active/Passive on SQL2000.
>

> Good luck,
>
> BT
>

> "NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > One of our business units needs an insane SQL 2000 cluster, so I get to
> > build a 2 node, Active/Active 2003 Enterprise cluster ... 4TB of EMC
> > Symetrix storage.. for 1 DB. If they meet thier projections, they will
> have
> > the single largest MS SQL DB on the planet. 3 independent paths to the
> > storage volumes via 2Gb FC.
> >
> > 2 DL740's.
> > 8GB Ram (20 sticks of memory to get 8 usable gig (10 total) because the
> the
> > RAM RAID)
> > 4 36G u320 Drive
> > SA532
> > 4x 2.8-1M
> >
> > This is going to be fun... I cant wait to see the price tag on this one
> >
> > there are also going to be 7 DL380's in the app environment. I think the
> > lights in chicago are going to dim when i fire these up...
> >
> > I can think of worse things to do in life....
> >
> > - LC

> http://www.usenet.com

Nut Cracker
June 3rd 04, 11:31 PM
DL740 DB servers: $100,000 each (hardware and software).