PDA

View Full Version : Re: Remote Insight Lights Out 158731-001

NuTCrAcKeR
May 27th 04, 01:43 AM
did you discover that little bits are falling off your board ?

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Anyone got one of these? If so, an unusual request. Can anyone tell me the
> value of R91 (reverse side near regulation section) and C132? R91 will be
> printed on the tiny SMD device in the format of three numbers. The cap is
> probably just a decoupler, around 1nF but if anyone has a schematic, I'd
> appreciate confirmation.
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

Sharmon
May 27th 04, 02:12 AM
The backplane boards have the same habit of losing their SMT LEDS ,
very annoying

>did you discover that little bits are falling off your board ?
>

>"MattD.." > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> Anyone got one of these? If so, an unusual request. Can anyone tell me the
>> value of R91 (reverse side near regulation section) and C132? R91 will be
>> printed on the tiny SMD device in the format of three numbers. The cap is
>> probably just a decoupler, around 1nF but if anyone has a schematic, I'd
>> appreciate confirmation.
>> --
>> MattD..
>>
>> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
May 27th 04, 03:04 AM
I havent run into that yet... strange.

LC

"Sharmon" > wrote in message
> The backplane boards have the same habit of losing their SMT LEDS ,
> very annoying
>
> >did you discover that little bits are falling off your board ?
> >

> >"MattD.." > wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >> Anyone got one of these? If so, an unusual request. Can anyone tell me
the
> >> value of R91 (reverse side near regulation section) and C132? R91 will
be
> >> printed on the tiny SMD device in the format of three numbers. The cap
is
> >> probably just a decoupler, around 1nF but if anyone has a schematic,
I'd
> >> appreciate confirmation.
> >> --
> >> MattD..
> >>
> >> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

Nut Cracker
May 27th 04, 09:07 PM
this makes no sense whatsoever...

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 01:43, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
> dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> NuTCrAcKeR. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > did you discover that little bits are falling off your board ?
>
> No, LC, I discovered that my PFY has an aim with a PCI card that is akin
> a British Enfield .303; the ballistic pattern of a tossed brick. You're
> sure to catch something electrical, but it's more likely to be an 0603 SMD
> than the PCI slot. Now we have a more modern server with dividing plates
> and no PFY, I may be able to keep the thing in running order.
>
> I just need the value of the resistor. The cap, as I said, is probably a
> decoupler and I can slap a 1n on its location. SMT rework isn't a problem
> here, unless we're talking huge BGAs (think i920s) which I don't have the
> equipment for.
>
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

Larry
May 27th 04, 10:04 PM
"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 21:07, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
> dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> Nut Cracker. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > this makes no sense whatsoever...
> >

> OK, I'm typing slowly so you can understand what I'm saying ;o) (I'm
joking,
> BTW. You're obviously not a BOFH fan)
>
> The assistant admin person destroyed these two components by scraping
> another PCI card (IIRC it was a NIC) along the back of the RILO board
> whilst trying to install it.

Did you make him stand with his nose in the corner?

It makes you wonder what 'team' he is on!

(`._. rr ._.)

> Not recommended for assistants to do,
> especially when the real sysadmin is watching. No chance of flipping to
> page 35 of the excuses calendar and trying the "rodents in the NIC" excuse
> for the lack of server. I never had the foresight to save the little grain
> of sand from the board, even if I had been able to find it. I did,
however,
> save the broken RILO board, and now I'd like to use it. Obviously, I need
> to repair it before I can.
>
> Now, let me restate my request: Can anyone with a RILO board with the
above
> part number please give me the resistor value for part reference R91 and
> save me buying a new RILO board? It will be in the format of three
numbers,
> such as 103 for a 10k resistor (the last figure is the multiplier, or
> number of zeroes after the significant figures). Some, such as 682 (6k8)
> may look like 589 if read upside down, but since a 58000M resistor isn't
in
> the E series, I think we'll be pretty safe! WARNING: You may need a
> magnifying glass if you don't want to end up with eyesight like mine...
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

Nut Cracker
May 27th 04, 11:27 PM
Its been a long, long, long time since i read any of the BOFH postings ...

completely missed any and all references that would be considered inside
jokes.

LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 21:07, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
> dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> Nut Cracker. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > this makes no sense whatsoever...
> >

> OK, I'm typing slowly so you can understand what I'm saying ;o) (I'm
joking,
> BTW. You're obviously not a BOFH fan)
>
> The assistant admin person destroyed these two components by scraping
> another PCI card (IIRC it was a NIC) along the back of the RILO board
> whilst trying to install it. Not recommended for assistants to do,
> especially when the real sysadmin is watching. No chance of flipping to
> page 35 of the excuses calendar and trying the "rodents in the NIC" excuse
> for the lack of server. I never had the foresight to save the little grain
> of sand from the board, even if I had been able to find it. I did,
however,
> save the broken RILO board, and now I'd like to use it. Obviously, I need
> to repair it before I can.
>
> Now, let me restate my request: Can anyone with a RILO board with the
above
> part number please give me the resistor value for part reference R91 and
> save me buying a new RILO board? It will be in the format of three
numbers,
> such as 103 for a 10k resistor (the last figure is the multiplier, or
> number of zeroes after the significant figures). Some, such as 682 (6k8)
> may look like 589 if read upside down, but since a 58000M resistor isn't
in
> the E series, I think we'll be pretty safe! WARNING: You may need a
> magnifying glass if you don't want to end up with eyesight like mine...
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

Nut Cracker
May 27th 04, 11:32 PM
Unless you have the soldering tools to do this safely, give up now. You can
get an RILOE I board for $19.95 on ebay (no cables and stuff, but you can
still get it).

Mitigate the time and pain-in-the-arse factor.

Is this an RILOE (I, II) ? Is it PCI ? Serial or LAN connection ?

I have 1 I series board, and 1 II series board. I will check on that for you
when i get the chance.

I dont have any of the old-school RIB boards, PCI or EISA that were analog
OOB models.

LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 21:07, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
> dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> Nut Cracker. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > this makes no sense whatsoever...
> >

> OK, I'm typing slowly so you can understand what I'm saying ;o) (I'm
joking,
> BTW. You're obviously not a BOFH fan)
>
> The assistant admin person destroyed these two components by scraping
> another PCI card (IIRC it was a NIC) along the back of the RILO board
> whilst trying to install it. Not recommended for assistants to do,
> especially when the real sysadmin is watching. No chance of flipping to
> page 35 of the excuses calendar and trying the "rodents in the NIC" excuse
> for the lack of server. I never had the foresight to save the little grain
> of sand from the board, even if I had been able to find it. I did,
however,
> save the broken RILO board, and now I'd like to use it. Obviously, I need
> to repair it before I can.
>
> Now, let me restate my request: Can anyone with a RILO board with the
above
> part number please give me the resistor value for part reference R91 and
> save me buying a new RILO board? It will be in the format of three
numbers,
> such as 103 for a 10k resistor (the last figure is the multiplier, or
> number of zeroes after the significant figures). Some, such as 682 (6k8)
> may look like 589 if read upside down, but since a 58000M resistor isn't
in
> the E series, I think we'll be pretty safe! WARNING: You may need a
> magnifying glass if you don't want to end up with eyesight like mine...
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
May 28th 04, 02:08 PM
They are making the boards with these nifty protectors on the back of them
now, that appear to prevent components from being sheared off by the
ignorant masses. Tried to get the thing off ( of the RILOW II board, the
other is in a live machine), with no luck.

I have a scheduled maintenance window this weekend, i aill try to look at
the Series I card then.

Ciao,

- LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 23:32, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
> dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> Nut Cracker. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > Unless you have the soldering tools to do this safely, give up now. You
> > can get an RILOE I board for $19.95 on ebay (no cables and stuff, but
you
> > can still get it).
>
> Thanks for the advice, which I would probably give if pushed, but my
> background as a techie started with electronics, which led to SMT support
> and later production engineering before I defected to the real technical
> stuff like network cables with AC outlet plugs on them. I think I can just
> about manage a couple of passives with simply tweezers and my soldering
> station. I won't even need to get the hot air rework station out.
>
> > Mitigate the time and pain-in-the-arse factor.
>
> Nah, the board would still bug me even if I got another one. It's broken,
> I've found the fault, I could fix it in three minutes (it takes two for
the
> soldering station to get up to the correct temperature) and it will save
me
> the adrenaline rush of another eBay auction.
>
> > Is this an RILOE (I, II) ? Is it PCI ? Serial or LAN connection ?
>
> PCI RILO I, LAN connection with backup PSU (10.5V), keyboard/mouse
> pass-through, ATi graphics and virtual power button header. Piccy of the
> beast here:
> http://www.dontneednew.com/store/CBS_viewItem.asp?idProduct=371
>
> > I have 1 I series board, and 1 II series board. I will check on that for
> > you when i get the chance.
>
> That would be great! Thanks, LC. The part I'm interested in is around the
> center of the board, a little towards the rear on the "back" of the board
> (no conventional components). It's around the area of the voltage
> regulation section if you'd recognize that a little better.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
May 29th 04, 12:12 AM
you must be English...

LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Friday 28 May 2004 14:08, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
dark
> weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> NuTCrAcKeR. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > They are making the boards with these nifty protectors on the back of
them
> > now, that appear to prevent components from being sheared off by the
> > ignorant masses. Tried to get the thing off ( of the RILOW II board, the
> > other is in a live machine), with no luck.
>
> Hmm, looks like it could be a common problem with Proliants and
pimply-faced
> students with the wits of a sausage-roll...
>
> > I have a scheduled maintenance window this weekend, i aill try to look
at
> > the Series I card then.
>
> I'd appreciate that. Thanks.
>
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
June 6th 04, 08:06 AM
You owe me BIG

; )

R91: []301[]
C132: same as C153/C135 (no number, just the beige color.

- LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Anyone got one of these? If so, an unusual request. Can anyone tell me the
> value of R91 (reverse side near regulation section) and C132? R91 will be
> printed on the tiny SMD device in the format of three numbers. The cap is
> probably just a decoupler, around 1nF but if anyone has a schematic, I'd
> appreciate confirmation.
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
June 7th 04, 03:27 AM
im sure you will keep us aprised of your success.

- LC

"MattD.." > wrote in message
> On Sunday 06 Jun 2004 08:06, the murky waters churned and seethed, the
dark
> weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting visage of
> NuTCrAcKeR. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
> > You owe me BIG
> >
> > ; )
> >
> > R91: []301[]
> > C132: same as C153/C135 (no number, just the beige color.
> >

> Thanks a lot for that, LC. I can fix it now.
>
> --
> MattD..
>
> mattd145 <at>onetel<dot>com

NuTCrAcKeR
June 8th 04, 04:54 AM
wow.. you are more dedicated that I would have been.

Glad you got it all sorted.

- LC