PDA

View Full Version : RIB cards and older servers

NuTCrAcKeR
May 23rd 04, 09:29 PM
Hey folks,

I have been trying to figure out why my PL800 (dual 500Mhz, 1GB) server wont
recognise the fact (via the mgmt agents) that it has a "management
processor", meaning an RILOE II card. My DL360 has the same card installed,
including the little ribbon cable, and it shows up just fine.

However, with this 800 there isnt anywehere to put such a ribbon cable, and
even with a fully configured card, the agents still dont know its there.
When enumerating the expansion cards via the MgmtAgents, its listed...
Device Manager see's it too as a multifunction adapter.

This *might* have something to do with it... I am running 2003 server on
this box, which is not strickly supported. I had to shoehorn the non-acpi
Advanced System Management Controller driver on the box to get most of the
agents to work...

I may go back and rebuild the beast as a 2000 server (i would rather not
though).

Any feedback is appreciated.

Ciao,

- LC

NuTCrAcKeR
May 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Update:

The DL360 has an RILOE II board, in the supported slot with the "virutual
power button cable".
The PL800 has an RILOE board, in supported slot 2 (used to be in slot 5, and
SCU bitched about it being in slot2)... there is no VPB cable or function
for this machine. This means it requires AC Power to be able to remotely do
the power thing.

Even with the card in the "supported slot" now, the MgmtAgents still dont
report the presense of a ManagementProcessor.

I checked the support matrix here: http://tinyurl.com/25pmd

The 800 was originally a: PL800 350/512/64 configuration. Somehow, it has 2
500/1M PIII chips... Compaq confirmed that they "accidently" shipped some
1024K Cached processors as options. This machine got them both at the same
time, so it was a bonus. CPQ told me that if there was a Cache mismatch, to
send it back for the right one. But since they are both "wrong", and
therefore in sync, they said to just keep them and enjoy twice the cache as
most people have. I was kinda happy.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

LC

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> I have been trying to figure out why my PL800 (dual 500Mhz, 1GB) server
wont
> recognise the fact (via the mgmt agents) that it has a "management
> processor", meaning an RILOE II card. My DL360 has the same card
installed,
> including the little ribbon cable, and it shows up just fine.
>
> However, with this 800 there isnt anywehere to put such a ribbon cable,
and
> even with a fully configured card, the agents still dont know its there.
> When enumerating the expansion cards via the MgmtAgents, its listed...
> Device Manager see's it too as a multifunction adapter.
>
> This *might* have something to do with it... I am running 2003 server on
> this box, which is not strickly supported. I had to shoehorn the non-acpi
> Advanced System Management Controller driver on the box to get most of the
> agents to work...
>
> I may go back and rebuild the beast as a 2000 server (i would rather not
> though).
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> Ciao,
>
> - LC

Rod R.
May 24th 04, 08:23 PM
If a Compaq server configured with a Compaq Remote Insight Lights-Out
Edition does not contain the server serial number in the server's NVRAM,
then Compaq Insight Manager 7 cannot indicate that the server contains the
Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition. Insight Manager 7 utilizes the server's
serial number as the identifying link between the Remote Insight Lights-Out
Edition and the server.

If the system board has been replaced, the serial number may be missing. It
can be restored manually.

"NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> Update:
>
> The DL360 has an RILOE II board, in the supported slot with the "virutual
> power button cable".
> The PL800 has an RILOE board, in supported slot 2 (used to be in slot 5,
and
> SCU bitched about it being in slot2)... there is no VPB cable or function
> for this machine. This means it requires AC Power to be able to remotely
do
> the power thing.
>
> Even with the card in the "supported slot" now, the MgmtAgents still dont
> report the presense of a ManagementProcessor.
>
> I checked the support matrix here: http://tinyurl.com/25pmd
>
> The 800 was originally a: PL800 350/512/64 configuration. Somehow, it has
2
> 500/1M PIII chips... Compaq confirmed that they "accidently" shipped some
> 1024K Cached processors as options. This machine got them both at the same
> time, so it was a bonus. CPQ told me that if there was a Cache mismatch,
> send it back for the right one. But since they are both "wrong", and
> therefore in sync, they said to just keep them and enjoy twice the cache
as
> most people have. I was kinda happy.
>
> Any other ideas are appreciated.
>
> LC
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I have been trying to figure out why my PL800 (dual 500Mhz, 1GB) server
> wont
> > recognise the fact (via the mgmt agents) that it has a "management
> > processor", meaning an RILOE II card. My DL360 has the same card
> installed,
> > including the little ribbon cable, and it shows up just fine.
> >
> > However, with this 800 there isnt anywehere to put such a ribbon cable,
> and
> > even with a fully configured card, the agents still dont know its there.
> > When enumerating the expansion cards via the MgmtAgents, its listed...
> > Device Manager see's it too as a multifunction adapter.
> >
> > This *might* have something to do with it... I am running 2003 server on
> > this box, which is not strickly supported. I had to shoehorn the
non-acpi
> > Advanced System Management Controller driver on the box to get most of
the
> > agents to work...
> >
> > I may go back and rebuild the beast as a 2000 server (i would rather not
> > though).
> >
> > Any feedback is appreciated.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > - LC

NuTCrAcKeR
May 25th 04, 06:42 AM
While I dont necessarily disagree with what you are saying, I find this
information unusual.

I am looking at the SystemInformation Screen (via the Agent interface on
port 2381), and I see that under AssetControlInformation, the Serial Number
is populated. I can only image that the agent is getting this from NVRAM.
There is however, as expected, no Asset Tag information as this requires a
deliberate action to populate.

Please not that NEITHER CIM7 nor the System Management Hompage for the
local server report that there is a Management Processor. Something else is
afoot at the circle K.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, I meet the requirements that you
laid out below, however the condition of not having a recognised
ManagementProcessor persists.

Any other ideas?

I may pull the Boot Mirror and replace the disks with another mirror and
install 2000 on it just to see what happens. It could be one of the
unfortuneate byproducts of running 2003 on this server.

/me shrugs

LC

"Rod R." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...

> [...]
> > > including the little ribbon cable, and it shows up just fine.
> > >
> > > However, with this 800 there isnt anywehere to put such a ribbon
cable,
> > and
> > > even with a fully configured card, the agents still dont know its
there.
> > > When enumerating the expansion cards via the MgmtAgents, its listed...
> > > Device Manager see's it too as a multifunction adapter.
> > >
> > > This *might* have something to do with it... I am running 2003 server
on
> > > this box, which is not strickly supported. I had to shoehorn the
> non-acpi
> > > Advanced System Management Controller driver on the box to get most of
> the
> > > agents to work...
> > >
> > > I may go back and rebuild the beast as a 2000 server (i would rather

Rod R.
May 25th 04, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing you are reporting two problems: 1) that the agents don't know
that the system has a "management processor" in it, and 2) that Insight
Manager can't associate the RIB card with the system it is plugged into.
Is that correct?

Regarding #1, I'm guessing that the Homepage only considers Integrated
Lights Out (ILO as in the DL360) as Management Processors. The
documentation says it should list both iLO and RIB, but I have a 1600, and
the Hompage also doesn't report a management processor even though there is
a RIB in place. From the Homepage, if you click on Insight Management
Agents, is "Remote Insight" checked under Recovery in the lower left frame?
If yes, then the agents know the RIB board is there. It's just not getting
reported to the Homepage.

Regarding #2, my first response was one resolution to this issue. There is
another cause to this problem that I am aware of. How do you handle
Discovery? Have you created a Hosts File for periodic discoveries? If
yes, then the servers and managment processors (RIBs and iLOs) need to all
be listed under their respective types. I've seen where the management
processor type heading was not included, and all the RIBs were listed as
servers and then not associated with their respective server.

#$IMXE: TYPE=Server
sys.tem.ip.address servername.domain servername #comments
[rest of servers]

#$IMXE: TYPE="Management Processor"
ilo.ip.address ilo #comments
[rest of RIBs/iLOs]