PDA

View Full Version : Have you looked at you 10K SCSI drive?

Dan
May 12th 04, 02:43 AM
While preparing a Proliant 8500 for sale, I notice that one of the drives
was a UW-3 drive, which actually surprised me. {I didn't think that I had
any UW-3 drives!}

So, I started looking at all my 10K RPM drives.

About 33% of the 9.1 GB drives are UW-3

About 50% of the 4.3 GB drives are UW-3

For those who have a quantity of 10K drives:
Is this "Normal" ?

Relating to this:
Will one have any performance increase with a UW-3 drive vs. UW drive
with an 320x controller?
Will one have any performance increase with a UW-3 drive vs. UW drive
with *ANY* "slower" (non-5xxx) controller?

Should I (do I need to) run the tests my self to determine any perf
differences?

Note:
This is only true of the "low profile" class drives, not the "1/2" height
drives. The larger drives are all -- "UW".

Dan French
bios {underscore} hack {at} hotmail {dot} com

NuT CrAcKeR
May 12th 04, 03:46 AM
do you truely mean Ultra3 or UltraWideSCSI3, or WideUltraScsi3 ? Ultra3 and
U160 are synonimous with eachother.

If these are the newstyle trays, then they are at the very least, ultra2 or
as you say, ultra3.

unless the different speeds are used together in the same raid volumes, they
can coexist on the same controller and not affect eachother. That is, you
can have a R1 volume using 2 4.3's, and an R5 volume using 4 9.1's, and they
will operate at different speeds.

That is interesting. Double check the spare or option part numbers just to
be sure. the labling has historically been a little on the confusing side.

LC

"Dan" pamcop.net> wrote
in message ...