PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question about RAID controllers, Hard Drives and SmartStart CD

Linda
May 6th 04, 12:44 AM
Hi,

I was given 2 old Compaq servers with Raid Controllers, but no hard
drives. I purchased hard drives and put them in the machine.
Unfortunately I do not have the SmartStart CDs.

I would like to put Windows 2003 server on these machines but I can
not get them to recognize the raid controller. Anything I download
off the compaq/hp site tells me I need to run the config utility in
windows. But I can't get windows on there because I dont have the
controller drivers! (And I dont have the CD to run Smart Start!!)

Ideas?

Thanks

NuT CrAcKeR
May 6th 04, 12:51 AM
Well Linda,

You could start by telling us more about the servers, and the RAID
controllers that you have. It is entirely possible that 2003 will not be
supported (read as ' can be installed on ') these machines.

As for SmartStart CD's, you can buy them from HPaq online, or you can DL
5.30 from me (which will more than likely support your server), but I can
tell you it wont let you do an assisted or manual integration with specific
2003 support. It will walk you through your system config and drop you off
at the corner, where you put in your OS cd and boot. I ask for a $5 paypal
contrib to the bandwidth fund to make this avilable to people that need it.

That being said, 2003 supports most of the controllers from the Smart2 PCI
family, and higher.

Which brings us back to where we began: whatcha got in there ?

LC

"Linda" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I was given 2 old Compaq servers with Raid Controllers, but no hard
> drives. I purchased hard drives and put them in the machine.
> Unfortunately I do not have the SmartStart CDs.
>
> I would like to put Windows 2003 server on these machines but I can
> not get them to recognize the raid controller. Anything I download
> off the compaq/hp site tells me I need to run the config utility in
> windows. But I can't get windows on there because I dont have the
> controller drivers! (And I dont have the CD to run Smart Start!!)
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

NuT CrAcKeR
May 6th 04, 05:36 AM
take pictures and post links, its the easiest thing to do if you dont know
what you have.

LC