PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Proliant Storage System U1

Avory
May 4th 04, 09:23 AM
I have a Compaq Proliant Storage System U1, RAID 5 x 4.3GB. Just the other
day, I turned on the storage system; w/o the drives starting/powering up!
The fans are on and the alert light off, power light on but nothing from
the drives. I've tried re-seating the drive with power on, but just a
brief flicker from each.

Can someone assist me with the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Bill B
May 4th 04, 11:12 AM
the drives will NOT spin up untill the proliant CPU tells them too.

you have to hook it up to a system.

at least I think you do

bill

Avory wrote:

> I have a Compaq Proliant Storage System U1, RAID 5 x 4.3GB. Just the other
> day, I turned on the storage system; w/o the drives starting/powering up!
> The fans are on and the alert light off, power light on but nothing from
> the drives. I've tried re-seating the drive with power on, but just a
> brief flicker from each.
>
> Can someone assist me with the problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Avory
May 7th 04, 09:58 AM
"MattD.." > wrote in
:

> On Tuesday 04 May 2004 11:12, the murky waters churned and seethed,
> the dark weeds parted and the water took on the sinister, shifting
> visage of Bill B. The great maw opened and the following was heard:
>
>> the drives will NOT spin up untill the proliant CPU tells them too.
>>

> Yep. Mine is the same. You can hook them up to a SCSI controller such
> as the Adaptec 2490UW and set the drive start signal in the SCSI setup
> utility to "yes" and they will start up on bus scan and be recognized
> as individual drives according to their locations, which is quite
> handy for diagnosing problems with individual drives. Of course, these
> storage systems are designed for RAID controllers primarily.

Thanks guys, I think u've simplified my troubleshooting effort. It
appears that SCSI controller is bugger!

Again, thanks for the support.