PDA

View Full Version : Problem adding a new hard rrive to a Proliant 800

Paul
April 28th 04, 09:50 PM
I have a Compaq Proliant 88 with a single SCSI drive, running Novell 4.1.1
and the drive is out of free space. I purchased a new Maxtor 18 gig SCSI and
put it in the computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive when it is booting up,
and the Compaq utility correctly sees the drive, but after that, the drive
is reported as a 9 gig drive to everything (fdisk, partition magic, server
magic, ghost, DOS 6.2 and 7), not the 181 gig drive that it is. I called
Compaq, but India, I mean Tech Support told me they could not help me as the
drive was a third party drive. I bought 2 of these drives from CDW. They
sold these to me as replacement drives for a Compaq Proliant. I have had
these drives for 3 weeks now, and have not been able to resolve this issue.
Anyone have a similar issue, or can provide me some direction?
Thanks!

Paul
April 28th 04, 09:51 PM
That was supposed to say Proliant 800...sorry...
"Paul" > wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Proliant 88 with a single SCSI drive, running Novell 4.1.1
> and the drive is out of free space. I purchased a new Maxtor 18 gig SCSI
and
> put it in the computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive when it is booting
up,
> and the Compaq utility correctly sees the drive, but after that, the drive
> is reported as a 9 gig drive to everything (fdisk, partition magic, server
> magic, ghost, DOS 6.2 and 7), not the 181 gig drive that it is. I called
> Compaq, but India, I mean Tech Support told me they could not help me as
the
> drive was a third party drive. I bought 2 of these drives from CDW. They
> sold these to me as replacement drives for a Compaq Proliant. I have had
> these drives for 3 weeks now, and have not been able to resolve this
issue.
> Anyone have a similar issue, or can provide me some direction?
> Thanks!

NuT CrAcKeR
April 29th 04, 04:25 AM
I havent added drives to a compaq server that didnt have an array controller
in probably 7 years.

I would suggest picking up a cheap controller on eBay. Oh, you didnt mention
which version of the 800 you have. HP veriosn, NonHP verision.. PPro 200
verision, PII350 version...

LC

"Paul" > wrote in message
> That was supposed to say Proliant 800...sorry...
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > I have a Compaq Proliant 88 with a single SCSI drive, running Novell
4.1.1
> > and the drive is out of free space. I purchased a new Maxtor 18 gig SCSI
> and
> > put it in the computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive when it is booting
> up,
> > and the Compaq utility correctly sees the drive, but after that, the
drive
> > is reported as a 9 gig drive to everything (fdisk, partition magic,
server
> > magic, ghost, DOS 6.2 and 7), not the 181 gig drive that it is. I called
> > Compaq, but India, I mean Tech Support told me they could not help me as
> the
> > drive was a third party drive. I bought 2 of these drives from CDW. They
> > sold these to me as replacement drives for a Compaq Proliant. I have had
> > these drives for 3 weeks now, and have not been able to resolve this
> issue.
> > Anyone have a similar issue, or can provide me some direction?
> > Thanks!

NuT CrAcKeR
April 29th 04, 07:50 AM
I dont think i could have misspelled version one more time... even if i had
tried !

I am so embarrassed...

LC

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> I havent added drives to a compaq server that didnt have an array
controller
> in probably 7 years.
>
> I would suggest picking up a cheap controller on eBay. Oh, you didnt
mention
> which version of the 800 you have. HP veriosn, NonHP verision.. PPro 200
> verision, PII350 version...
>
> LC
>
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > That was supposed to say Proliant 800...sorry...
> > "Paul" > wrote in message
> > > I have a Compaq Proliant 88 with a single SCSI drive, running Novell
> 4.1.1
> > > and the drive is out of free space. I purchased a new Maxtor 18 gig
SCSI
> > and
> > > put it in the computer. The BIOS recognizes the drive when it is
booting
> > up,
> > > and the Compaq utility correctly sees the drive, but after that, the
> drive
> > > is reported as a 9 gig drive to everything (fdisk, partition magic,
> server
> > > magic, ghost, DOS 6.2 and 7), not the 181 gig drive that it is. I
called
> > > Compaq, but India, I mean Tech Support told me they could not help me
as
> > the
> > > drive was a third party drive. I bought 2 of these drives from CDW.
They
> > > sold these to me as replacement drives for a Compaq Proliant. I have
had
> > > these drives for 3 weeks now, and have not been able to resolve this
> > issue.
> > > Anyone have a similar issue, or can provide me some direction?
> > > Thanks!

Paul
April 29th 04, 09:14 PM
Yes, it has an array controller. It has a Perc 2.
"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> I dont think i could have misspelled version one more time... even if i
had
> tried !
>
> I am so embarrassed...
>
> LC
>
> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > I havent added drives to a compaq server that didnt have an array
> controller
> > in probably 7 years.
> >
> > I would suggest picking up a cheap controller on eBay. Oh, you didnt
> mention
> > which version of the 800 you have. HP veriosn, NonHP verision.. PPro 200
> > verision, PII350 version...
> >
> > LC
> >
> > "Paul" > wrote in message
> > > That was supposed to say Proliant 800...sorry...
> > 4.1.1
> SCSI
> > > and
> booting
> > > up,
> > drive
> > server
> called
> as
> > > the
> They
> had
> > > issue.

NuT CrAcKeR
April 29th 04, 11:30 PM
oh god... that is just plain sacrilege

A DELL controller in a Compaq?

Thats like putting mustard in red wine

does your Perc have the latest firmware and bios ?

Im suprised the CPQ utilties will see anything on the PERC controller.

That is just strange.

"which" perc 2 do you have? SC or DC ? AMI based or Adaptec Based?

I do have some knowledge of dark-side servers...

LC

"Paul" > wrote in message
> Yes, it has an array controller. It has a Perc 2.
> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > I dont think i could have misspelled version one more time... even if i
> had
> > tried !
> >
> > I am so embarrassed...
> >
> > LC
> >
> > "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > > I havent added drives to a compaq server that didnt have an array
> > controller
> > > in probably 7 years.
> > >
> > > I would suggest picking up a cheap controller on eBay. Oh, you didnt
> > mention
> > > which version of the 800 you have. HP veriosn, NonHP verision.. PPro
200
> > > verision, PII350 version...
> > >
> > > LC

Novell
> > > 4.1.1
> > SCSI
> > booting
> > > drive
> > > server
> > called
> me
> > as
CDW.
> > They
> > had

Paul
April 29th 04, 11:49 PM
My mistake. Nor a Perc...those are on the Dells, as you said.
It has a controller, but I do not know which one. I have serial numbers for
the server, from Compaq, but i have yet to get a straight answer out of
them. I tell them what the serial numbers are, and they ask me what hardware
do I have? Seems to me they should tell me what HW I have, seein's how they
built this beast!
Anyways, needless to say this computer is not my only presssing, need to get
off my desk in a hurry, handed down from the last guy project i have. He was
very good at generating pretty reports, though. Sorry if I rambled, or
misled you on the Perc...

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> oh god... that is just plain sacrilege
>
> A DELL controller in a Compaq?
>
> Thats like putting mustard in red wine
>
> does your Perc have the latest firmware and bios ?
>
> Im suprised the CPQ utilties will see anything on the PERC controller.
>
> That is just strange.
>
> "which" perc 2 do you have? SC or DC ? AMI based or Adaptec Based?
>
> I do have some knowledge of dark-side servers...
>
> LC
>
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > Yes, it has an array controller. It has a Perc 2.
> > "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > > I dont think i could have misspelled version one more time... even if
> > had
> > > tried !
> > >
> > > I am so embarrassed...
> > >
> > > LC

> > > controller

> > > mention
> 200

> Novell
> gig
> > > SCSI
> > > booting
> the
> magic,
> > > called
> > me
> > > as
> CDW.
> > > They
> have
> > > had
> this

NuT CrAcKeR
April 30th 04, 02:44 AM
when the server boots, it should tell you which controller you have (if its
an array controller).

What processors are in your machine ?

LC

"Paul" > wrote in message
> My mistake. Nor a Perc...those are on the Dells, as you said.
> It has a controller, but I do not know which one. I have serial numbers
for
> the server, from Compaq, but i have yet to get a straight answer out of
> them. I tell them what the serial numbers are, and they ask me what
hardware
> do I have? Seems to me they should tell me what HW I have, seein's how
they
> built this beast!
> Anyways, needless to say this computer is not my only presssing, need to
get
> off my desk in a hurry, handed down from the last guy project i have. He
was
> very good at generating pretty reports, though. Sorry if I rambled, or
> misled you on the Perc...
>
> "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > oh god... that is just plain sacrilege
> >
> > A DELL controller in a Compaq?
> >
> > Thats like putting mustard in red wine
> >
> > does your Perc have the latest firmware and bios ?
> >
> > Im suprised the CPQ utilties will see anything on the PERC controller.
> >
> > That is just strange.
> >
> > "which" perc 2 do you have? SC or DC ? AMI based or Adaptec Based?
> >
> > I do have some knowledge of dark-side servers...
> >
> > LC
> >
> > "Paul" > wrote in message
> > > Yes, it has an array controller. It has a Perc 2.
> > > had

PPro
> > 200

> > Novell
> > gig
> > the
> > magic,
> help
> > > me
> > CDW.
> > have
> > this

Paul
April 30th 04, 06:25 PM
I give up...will buy a "Compaq®" drive, RMA these 2 Maxtors, and see if
Compaq will "support" me on this. *mumblessomeshat*

"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> when the server boots, it should tell you which controller you have (if
its
> an array controller).
>
> What processors are in your machine ?
>
> LC
>
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > My mistake. Nor a Perc...those are on the Dells, as you said.
> > It has a controller, but I do not know which one. I have serial numbers
> for
> > the server, from Compaq, but i have yet to get a straight answer out of
> > them. I tell them what the serial numbers are, and they ask me what
> hardware
> > do I have? Seems to me they should tell me what HW I have, seein's how
> they
> > built this beast!
> > Anyways, needless to say this computer is not my only presssing, need to
> get
> > off my desk in a hurry, handed down from the last guy project i have. He
> was
> > very good at generating pretty reports, though. Sorry if I rambled, or
> > misled you on the Perc...
> >
> > "NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
> > > oh god... that is just plain sacrilege
> > >
> > > A DELL controller in a Compaq?
> > >
> > > Thats like putting mustard in red wine
> > >
> > > does your Perc have the latest firmware and bios ?
> > >
> > > Im suprised the CPQ utilties will see anything on the PERC controller.
> > >
> > > That is just strange.
> > >
> > > "which" perc 2 do you have? SC or DC ? AMI based or Adaptec Based?
> > >
> > > I do have some knowledge of dark-side servers...
> > >
> > > LC

> if

message