PDA

View Full Version : bad drive?

Doug F
April 27th 04, 11:32 AM
Hi Folks,

Lately my ProLiant 6000 has been giving a failed drive message. The
drive will fail, but if reseated it shows up healthy on a reboot and
prompts me for a rebuild. It will happily rebuild all green, then fail
after a couple of hours.

Nothing is showing in CIM except the failure notification.

Is this indicative of a bad slot in the drive cage?

specs...
proliant 6000 (pro model)
2x power supplies
first drive cage
drive id5 (6th drive) of 9.lgb UW in raid5

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Sharmon
April 27th 04, 10:31 PM
The only safe way to tell is to try another drive or if you have your
data backed up, power off the server and swap the "bad drive " with
one of the others (on a 2DH controller or higher only) then power up
the server . Ignore the "changed position" message and wait . If the
error follows the drive you will have your answer . As well run CIM
and check the M&P record for the hours of service on the drive .

>Hi Folks,
>
>Lately my ProLiant 6000 has been giving a failed drive message. The
>drive will fail, but if reseated it shows up healthy on a reboot and
>prompts me for a rebuild. It will happily rebuild all green, then fail
>after a couple of hours.
>
>Nothing is showing in CIM except the failure notification.
>
>Is this indicative of a bad slot in the drive cage?
>
>specs...
>proliant 6000 (pro model)
>2x power supplies
>first drive cage
>drive id5 (6th drive) of 9.lgb UW in raid5
>
>Any input would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Doug

Doug F
April 28th 04, 02:46 AM
I had thought of that but this being my home server and no spare
hardware to play, leaves me with limited options.

I have a second drive cage that was giving similar symptoms, and I had
played around with swapping different drives around (that cage has 4gb
drives). There was no consistency in my testing though. I thought
perhaps a lack of power, but with 2 power supplies there should be
more then enough power to go around.

This is the first time this type of thing has happened on the first
drive cage though.

Both cages are connected to a Smart 3200 Array controller.

Doug