PDA

View Full Version : Proliant DL320 and ATA Raid Controller

Jami
April 20th 04, 11:10 PM
After doing some searches in here, I have read that you can not set a
pci ata controller as the boot device on Proliant systems. However, I
also came across the only system that supports ata hdd's is the DL320.

I happen to have one of these systems, a DL320 G2. Unfortunately the
product that I am trying to install on this server is built on
FreeBSD. (Statscout if anyone is interested). FreeBSD does not
support the MegaRAID controller. I have bought a Promise Fasttrak
TX2000 to use as the raid card so that there is some sort of
redundancy yet nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible. To boot from the PCI
card?

Thanks for your help.

Jami

NuT CrAcKeR
April 21st 04, 01:18 AM
Dude,

the DL140 also supports the ATA disks, but there is no raid.

As for the 320 not being able to boot from the RAID controller... what other
choice is there? It doesnt have pluggable drives, how the hell else are you
going to boot the stupid thing? So, HPaq is OEM'ing the AMI ATARaid
chipset... no wonder its only ATA100. i would have thought that HPaQ would
have been one of the first to offer SATARaid on thier lower end systems. Its
too much to hope sometimes.

I suggest you go back into the bios (F10) and examine your boot options
again.

LC

"Jami" > wrote in message
m...
> After doing some searches in here, I have read that you can not set a
> pci ata controller as the boot device on Proliant systems. However, I
> also came across the only system that supports ata hdd's is the DL320.
>
> I happen to have one of these systems, a DL320 G2. Unfortunately the
> product that I am trying to install on this server is built on
> FreeBSD. (Statscout if anyone is interested). FreeBSD does not
> support the MegaRAID controller. I have bought a Promise Fasttrak
> TX2000 to use as the raid card so that there is some sort of
> redundancy yet nothing happens.
>
> Does anyone know if this is actually possible. To boot from the PCI
> card?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jami

NuT CrAcKeR
April 21st 04, 01:23 AM
another point to clarify....

you cant set the PCI card as boot in the SCSI based systems.

LC