PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the CPU in a Prosignia 300?

Nelson M. G. Santiago
April 6th 04, 11:14 PM
I have two Prosignia 300 servers, one a Pentium 90 (bought in 1995)
and the other a Pentium 120 (bought in 1996). Both have been operating
perfectly since then, using Win NT.

Differently than the Prosignia 200, the 300 doesn't have switches to
set the frequency and the multiplier (at least I couldn't find them
anyplace). That means that if I simply replace the CPU, as I already did,
installing, say, a P200, It'll still be recognized as a P90 or a P120. It
is reported as such during POST, and the benchmarks show the same
performance as before.

Does anybody know if there are any hidden swiches/jumpers somewhere
(or any hidden options in the config utilities) that I can set in order to
keep using those two faithful servers with upgraded CPUs?

TIA
Nelson

Nelson M. G. Santiago >

Today is Tue Apr 06, 2004.

As of 7:14pm this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 0 hours, and
15 minutes. It's running 29 processes with 124 threads.

NuT CrAcKeR
April 7th 04, 01:00 AM
nope. its burned into the rom on the CPU board.

i had an old Prosig 500. I took out the P5/90 and put in an evergreen
Spectra400. it ran at 366, and was fine.

There is nothing you can do about the way the rom reports the chip (as far
as i know). Mine still said Pentium 90Mhz, but windows 2000 showed 366.

LC

"Nelson M. G. Santiago" > wrote in message
. ..

> I have two Prosignia 300 servers, one a Pentium 90 (bought in 1995)
> and the other a Pentium 120 (bought in 1996). Both have been operating
> perfectly since then, using Win NT.
>

> Differently than the Prosignia 200, the 300 doesn't have switches to
> set the frequency and the multiplier (at least I couldn't find them
> anyplace). That means that if I simply replace the CPU, as I already did,
> installing, say, a P200, It'll still be recognized as a P90 or a P120. It
> is reported as such during POST, and the benchmarks show the same
> performance as before.
>

> Does anybody know if there are any hidden swiches/jumpers somewhere
> (or any hidden options in the config utilities) that I can set in order to
> keep using those two faithful servers with upgraded CPUs?
>

> TIA
> Nelson

> Nelson M. G. Santiago >
>
> Today is Tue Apr 06, 2004.
>
> As of 7:14pm this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 0 hours, and
> 15 minutes. It's running 29 processes with 124 threads.

Nelson M. G. Santiago
April 19th 04, 03:04 PM
In >, on 04/06/04
at 07:00 PM, "NuT CrAcKeR" > said:

>nope. its burned into the rom on the CPU board.

>i had an old Prosig 500. I took out the P5/90 and put in an evergreen
>Spectra400. it ran at 366, and was fine.

Sorry taking so long to answer, but I wanted to do some tests before,
out of sheer curiosity. I'm reporting them here in order that this might
be useful to someone else.

In my original post I said I had tried to replace the P90 with a P133.
This didn't work. It was still reported as a P90, and the tests showed the
same performance. I went a little further this last weekend. I did the
following:

- repeated the replacement with the P133 - same results;
- replaced the P90 with a P166 (no MMX) from a Prosignia 200 - same
results;
- replaced the P90 with a P233/MMX - still reported as a P90, but the
performance was of a Pentium @ 210 MHz (3.5 x 60 MHz)

In all tests I did the following:

1. replace the CPU;
2. reboot the machine and ran the configuration, pressing F10;
3. ran 3 tests, under Win2k:
- SiSoftware Sandra Pro 2003 CPU benchmarks, that can be
understood as "pure" CPU benchmarks;
- Distributed Net Client All projects/All cores benchmarks, that
are more "real world";
- USR ADSL Sure Connect ethernet modem install. It refuses to
install if there isn't at least a P133 in the machine (although there are
ways to bypass this). The installation only went forward with the P233.

So, I'm still curious: if I can get hold of a, e.g., P166/MMX, I'll
try to see what happens.

Nelson

Nelson M. G. Santiago >

Today is Mon Apr 19, 2004.

As of 11:04am this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 1 hours, and
10 minutes. It's running 30 processes with 129 threads.

nut cracker
April 19th 04, 04:43 PM
Hrmmm, strange.